Rejected Marvel Designs and Show Pitches

TFormersMarvel

Not sure if Faust ever talked about this before, but in a conversation between Jenny Calabro and Faust dropped this nugget:

I would honestly be curious to learn more about it. Marvel sort of has its DC SHG counterpart with the Marvel Rising brand, thought hat series' approach is more traditional compared to Faust's tendencies for cartoony action-comedy.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I always thought a New Mutants series could have been one of the coolest counterparts to Young Justice that Marvel could have made.

A Faust pitch sounds very interesting to me. I imagine that she might a pretty big fan to even pitch it. Too bad that Marvel didn't bite. I wonder what the roster was.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
A Faust pitch sounds very interesting to me. I imagine that she might a pretty big fan to even pitch it. Too bad that Marvel didn't bite. I wonder what the roster was.
I assumed it would've been the classic roster, especially since Kitty was involved, but maybe they would've thrown some kids from Generation X or the New X-Men in there...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, here's another interesting pitch from Ben Bates. He once tried pitching a show that focused on a hero pretending to be a villain for a team called The Night Shift so as to take down evil from the inside. Two of the members are named Gypsy Moth and Tatterdemalion. He mentions this would've been a hard sell.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Kitty Pryde is Shadowcat, unless they were planning on changing things up for the show. Out of the others Wolfsbane has probably had the most exposure outside of comics, and I don't think Karma has been featured in any cartoon (outside of some possible brief cameos). The show could have been pretty fun.

Frontier

Staff member
So, here's another interesting pitch from Ben Bates. He once tried pitching a show that focused on a hero pretending to be a villain for a team called The Night Shift so as to take down evil from the inside. Two of the members are named Gypsy Moth and Tatterdemalion. He mentions this would've been a hard sell.

I can see why, but it still would've been pretty neat. They would be cool to see in an Avengers cartoon :).
Kitty Pryde is Shadowcat, unless they were planning on changing things up for the show. Out of the others Wolfsbane has probably had the most exposure outside of comics, and I don't think Karma has been featured in any cartoon (outside of some possible brief cameos). The show could have been pretty fun.
She didn't even make it to the New Mutants movie :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
11/23:
Just a note, to please keep this thread about actual, rejected pitches and designs and not share fan-art and whatever else. Please use the Drawing Board here at Anime Superhero for that kind of stuff - either the Marvel Animation Fan-Art topic, or feel free to start your own thread there if you are sharing your own artwork. Thanks.

12/28:
Not that many details about this, but it seems John Semper Jr. pitched a "Black Widow" animated series in the early 90s.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Didn't they end up naming one of the Spider Slayers Black Widow? I could be misremembering.

Yeah, Black Widow was the first Spider Slayer, followed by Tarantula and Scorpion, I think. Scorpion was the only one they used for both a robot and a human opponent on the show.

Come to think of it, Black Widow was pretty much completely absent from the 90s cartoons. It would have been funny if she had her own show in the 90s, I imagine she would have been a lot more popular by the time the MCU version came out. :p

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Yeah, Black Widow was the first Spider Slayer, followed by Tarantula and Scorpion, I think. Scorpion was the only one they used for both a robot and a human opponent on the show.

Come to think of it, Black Widow was pretty much completely absent from the 90s cartoons. It would have been funny if she had her own show in the 90s, I imagine she would have been a lot more popular by the time the MCU version came out. :p
She made it to Marvel Action Universe's intro for the weekday block but that was about it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Well I meant more that Widow didn't appear in any of the shows of the time, not counting bumpers and commercials and whatever else. I don't think she ever had a cameo, either. In a way I was thinking how they squeezed in a bunch of characters for Iron Man's team during his show's 1st season, and they had Hawkeye in there. Nowadays you usually see Clint and Natasha together in the same team. (But in hindsight it's probably better Widow didn't appear there, considering how less than stellar those earlier episodes were :p)

Frontier

Staff member
Well I meant more that Widow didn't appear in any of the shows of the time, not counting bumpers and commercials and whatever else. I don't think she ever had a cameo, either. In a way I was thinking how they squeezed in a bunch of characters for Iron Man's team during his show's 1st season, and they had Hawkeye in there. Nowadays you usually see Clint and Natasha together in the same team. (But in hindsight it's probably better Widow didn't appear there, considering how less than stellar those earlier episodes were :p)
Plus the show already had another spider-themed redhead :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts