Butch Hartman developing new SVOD service Oaxis

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
The only one of the three that I can see working is "Imaginathan", only because it's so vastly different from everything else Hartman has made. The others, to me, just make me think they'll be full of his usual quirky style and over-hyper sound design that IMO just doesn't work in this day and age.

More importantly though, why only now announce these shows and not when the kickstarter was first put up? Because prior to this, we had zero idea on what we could expect content-wise, he was just that vague. It kind of feels like a last-ditch effort to salvage the project.

I also want to point out that so many of the comments there, and pretty much all his videos really, just wants him to bring back Danny Phantom. They do know the first two seasons were more Steve Marmel's show than Butch's, right?

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Butch has detailed three of the new animated series that will be on Oaxis:

- Dyna Mice, a TMNT-esque show about three superhero mice that fight crime;

- Imaginathan, a "Danny Phantom-esque" animated show about a kid named Nathan whose father invents a device that allows thoughts to become reality. It will be animated anime style, feature a over-arcing story, and is based on a show from the Noog Network;

- Splatapus, a part FOP, part SpongeBob super-cartoony Bugs Bunny-esque show following a little guy name Splat.

I thought Elf Detective was going to be Butch's new anime-inspired cartoon. Perhaps he's in an "animood" lately (see what I did there)?

ShadowBeast

I also want to point out that so many of the comments there, and pretty much all his videos really, just wants him to bring back Danny Phantom. They do know the first two seasons were more Steve Marmel's show than Butch's, right?
You would think that everyone would realize that Nickelodeon most likely has the rights to Danny Phantom, so they should go bug Nickelodeon about it instead.

Toon4Thought

You would think that everyone would realize that Nickelodeon most likely has the rights to Danny Phantom, so they should go bug Nickelodeon about it instead.
Nick indeed does. But a lot of these people are essentially asking him to buy the rights back.

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
Lol I wasn't the first one to question about Elf Detective's abundance on Butch's latest video.

While I'm excited about Dyna-Mice and Imaginathan, I have to question splatapus' existence. I just think this show has a character designed as too simplistic in his own style, but who knows, maybe it'll turn out fine. Also, judging by how Butch Hartman has told that a Danny Phantom-esque show will be featured, and that most content will resemble movies like Napoleon Dynamite and The Greatest Showman, Oaxis is more meant to be a Netflix clone for everybody, expect violence and bad-mouthing isn't intended to be shown (which is from my point of view, way different from that family-friendly thing).

Though I don't expect seeing any time in the future these shows, until a miracle happens and the Kickstarter, which has reached half its goal unlike Mr. Enter's Indiegogo campaign which has barely reached 3 percent, gets successful.

EDIT: Speaking of Danny Phantom, the fact Nickelodeon does not a single thing out of its way to revive the franchise, in a time companies like Warner Bros and Universal try to compete with Marvel's The Avengers, is beyond. Especially considering the fact a whole community based on the show, wants it back.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
The only one of the three that I can see working is "Imaginathan", only because it's so vastly different from everything else Hartman has made. The others, to me, just make me think they'll be full of his usual quirky style and over-hyper sound design that IMO just doesn't work in this day and age.

More importantly though, why only now announce these shows and not when the kickstarter was first put up? Because prior to this, we had zero idea on what we could expect content-wise, he was just that vague. It kind of feels like a last-ditch effort to salvage the project.

I’m actually looking forward to all three. This new pic of Imaginathan looks cooler than the more cartoony version he posted a while back, Dyna-Mice could be similar to Swat Kats in tone and style, and Splatypus has that classic Saturday morning / Golden Age feel I miss a lot from cartoons.
BUT, I don’t want to back his streaming platform to get it, especially this seems like a last ditch effort to get funding.

And I think it’s really annoying that people demand DP to return every time he makes a social media post on any platform. The cost to get the rights to the IP would cost way more than what he wants to get Oaxsis going.

And people must not hate the third season of DP as much as others do, because we’d just end up more of that.
If he could get cartoons like Elf Detective going on his own, people will hopefully move on to that. I’d love it if he could make some of these cartoons on his own and put it on YouTube instead of trying to tie it to a streaming platform few of his fans really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toon4Thought

I’m actually looking forward to all three. This new pic of Imaginathan looks cooler than the more cartoony version he posted a while back, Dyna-Mice could be similar to Swat Kats in tone and style, and Splatypus has that classic Saturday morning / Golden Age feel I miss a lot from cartoons.
I can at least see something in Dyna-Mice if taken in a good direction, but frankly I think Splatypus would just have the exact same "cheap, desperate laughs over any substance" feel that plagued TUFF Puppy, Bunsen, and the last few seasons of FOP.

And people must not hate the third season of DP as much as others do, because we’d just end up more of that.
I find it more likely that people either didn't watch or just forgot about the third season. Not to fault anyone who likes that season, but to me it kind of validates my belief that what people fondly remember about the show didn't stem from Butch - heck, even in the first two seasons, the show was no masterpiece. He's capable of great things, don't get me wrong, but the guy constantly oversells himself - which leads to his fans overpraising him - and it hits the point where it comes off as an ego trip.

Nick Mick

I can at least see something in Dyna-Mice if taken in a good direction, but frankly I think Splatypus would just have the exact same "cheap, desperate laughs over any substance" feel that plagued TUFF Puppy, Bunsen, and the last few seasons of FOP.
Okay about Bunsen and late FOP, but Tuff Puppy?? Really? At least the first two seasons were really good.

Toon4Thought

Okay about Bunsen and late FOP, but Tuff Puppy?? Really? At least the first two seasons were really good.
Admittedly, TUFF Puppy was the only show of the list that could get away with that brand of humor, but even when it was good, a lot of the time it felt like it preferred to spew cheap jokes above all else. And this problem with Butch's brand of humor only became worse across all his shows over time.

Dudley

Staff member
His brand of humor has gotten worse. Mostly in how the humor has devolved into a lot of yelling and every halfway decent gag becoming a running gag.
Still, I think Platypus's loose cartooniness and less focus on telling an actual story of any kind will work in its favor, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
I'm hoping that whatever happens, whether Oaxsis gets made or not, all four of his planned series and whatever else gets made. Hopefully he'll pitch it to other SVOD platforms, or .Pocketwatch. Or it airs on the new channel Frederator's parent company plans to launch in Canada!

ShadowBeast

Nick indeed does. But a lot of these people are essentially asking him to buy the rights back.
Hartman would need to Oaxis not only up and running , but have it become successful first.
Even if Hartman were to buy the rights back, he'd probably turn the show's animation-style into Flash like he did with FOP. So we're better off with Nickelodeon reviving it without him and bringing in people who had worked on the show.

TUFF Puppy fell faster than Hartman's previous shows. Kitty Katswell was made into Dudley's punching bag, the overuse of the same three villains, characters started getting dumber, and a Hartman classic of characters disappearing. Hartman had even said that eventually Bad Dog would start talking, but instead he disappeared after the first season.

Toon4Thought

Even if Hartman were to buy the rights back, he'd probably turn the show's animation-style into Flash like he did with FOP. So we're better off with Nickelodeon reviving it without him and bringing in people who had worked on the show..
Hence my confusion as to why his fans so constantly demand he buy the rights back and revive the show. I legitimately have much more reason to trust Nick than him.

His brand of humor has gotten worse. Mostly in how the humor has devolved into a lot of yelling and every halfway decent gag becoming a running gag.
And most of the time, these running gags are forced beyond belief. And I think the yelling is just part of my biggest problem with his current humor: it's completely in-your-face with zero semblance of subtlety. This vibe was kind of there with even the early seasons of FOP, and is a large part of why I don't think those hold up very well today given how much people's tastes have evolved (especially in terms of the sound design), but it became far more pronounced over time.

I'm hoping that whatever happens, whether Oaxsis gets made or not, all four of his planned series and whatever else gets made. Hopefully he'll pitch it to other SVOD platforms, or .Pocketwatch. Or it airs on the new channel Frederator's parent company plans to launch in Canada!
Makes you wonder why he didn't just pitch one or more of these shows to these platforms in the first place, never mind Netflix.

Nick Mick

And most of the time, these running gags are forced beyond belief. And I think the yelling is just part of my biggest problem with his current humor: it's completely in-your-face with zero semblance of subtlety. This vibe was kind of there with even the early seasons of FOP, and is a large part of why I don't think those hold up very well today given how much people's tastes have evolved (especially in terms of the sound design), but it became far more pronounced over time.

Makes you wonder why he didn't just pitch one or more of these shows to these platforms in the first place, never mind Netflix.
I know that's true, but at least the stories and some gags in TUFF Puppy were quite interesting and awesome, as opposed to the third season, where the show started becoming a bore.

Oh, and what you said about selling his shows in other platforms is so true. After all, I doubt the Kickstarter will become successful.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Anyone (and 599 other people) got $99 to spare for Butch in the next few hours?

*sigh* Oh, lord...

jaylop97

Staff member
Butch has reached his goal of 250K.
upload_2018-7-17_20-46-20.png

Last edited:

Toon4Thought

So it somehow reached the goal, despite it being at about $219K less than an hour ago (and money was slowly trickling in the hours before that point). That means it must have been one huge $30K donation from someone either beyond insane who somehow has that much to drop, or Butch himself. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but considering how much of a stretch the latter possibility even is to exist, along with Butch's ego, I'm going with the latter.

I wonder what's going to happen when all this completely runs dry in a month.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
In immediate hindsight, it was probably smart of him to lay out the particular strategy he did. A CLEAR goal is easier to achieve than a vague one.

I take back my earlier snark.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Wow, shocked he actually did it. Well, I still have a bad feeling about this. And I wouldn't be shocked if he asks for more money in the future.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts