Young Justice: Invasion "War" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - YJ "War"

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 6 21.4%

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

Votes: 1 3.6%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

hugo

Wow, wow and wow.

At last no more schemes!

The Light double-crossing the Reach, Arsenal nearly suicidal reaction, Blue Beetle previsible reaction (I knew as soon as there was this long post-mission scene with Mal and Karen kissing)

Things are taking an unexpected turn, and for once, it's not only for the Team.

Santino

Lagoon Boy's broken leg happened April 9. It's May 26 now. Surely it would have healed by now?

By comparison, Kid Flash's broken arm happened October 1 and by mid-November was fixed. Five years later technology, plus Atlantean physiology...I just think LB was on tide-rescue duty with Aquaman.

Aquaman was on his duff with Nightwing in the Watchtower during the mission.

ShadowStar

Interesting/nice that Lagoon Boy wasn't on the mission. I guess he's pretending to look for Miss M. Plus the writers didn't want him captured.

Remember how Kid Flash had the cast for 5 episodes following the events of "Revelation"? And bear that he was a fast healer - Lagoon Boy would probably need longer to recover from a broken limb. Admittedly it's been more than 5 weeks since "The Fix" as of this episode, but La'gaan might need until early/mid-June. Going by that short of the Team (with Miss Martian, but without Lagoon Boy) standing in a circle in the trailer, it looks like La'gaan will be on the sidelines for a few more episodes.

EDIT - Never mind, I see that others have covered this.

They'd better use his absence to give Batgirl more time to shine (and Wonder Girl too).

Last edited by a moderator:

tent

The members of the Light aka Illuminati (illumination means bring light) are all from earth. At the end of the day if the Reach wants to conquer earth it is not good for business for the members of the Light. The members of the Light will protect their investment by arranging the Justice League member freedom.

Frontier

Staff member
Another really great episode of Young Justice!

This episode reminded me that I really prefer the Young Justice episodes that just focus on the Team, their missions, and their relationships. It feels like we haven't really gotten much of that lately, what with the focus on Blue Beetle and Impulse, the Runaways, and what's happening with some of the original six members. While I'm aware Greg wants the original six to still be the main focus of the show, I'd personally rather spend more time with the current Team and watching them grow. That's not to say I'm not enjoying Season 2, because I am, it's just that I guess I prefer how the story was told in Season 1 to how things are now.

Mongul was a pretty good villain, and a major improvement over Despero. I guess they got Keith David to voice him because either Darkeside will not be appearing so there's no sense in saving up David to voice him, Kevin Michael Richardson will be doing his Tombstone voice for him, or they've got a surprise voice for him. I honestly think the first is the most likely. In any case, he was good as Mongul here even if he's not the first person I would have cast as him.

The trial on Rimbor is going about as well as I expected. Saying they were under mind control doesn't strike me as the best defense after you mercilessly assaulted a planet. I'm really interested to see how the members of the League there gets out of this. Will Superman win them over with a speech about truth and justice? Probably not, but it'd be nice to see him try. Or maybe Icon is just a good enough intergalactic defense attorney that he can find some loophole that gets them off on the charges.

Poor Hawkman... still relegated to being "staring-man."

I wonder where Hal and Guy were? I'm still a little disappointed that the show will probably end with Hal being the only member of the original seven to never get a real line of dialogue on the show. I guess it balances out since he has his own show, but I would've liked to see a little bit more of Earth-16's version of him.

If the series ends without someone or something wiping that smirk off Savages face, I will be immensely disappointed.

Not to belittle the Team's efforts here, but I wonder how things would've been different had the full League gone against War World? Superman could probably have given Mongul more of a run for his money than Superboy did.

When Dr. Fate isn't so obsessed with Order he actually makes a pretty good Superhero. It's probably because of Zatarra's influence though.

I was right about Blue Beetle being able to take out the entire Team if he wanted to. The Reach may have lost most of their fleet, but with three powerful Beetles on their side and the War World crystal in their possession, I don't think they've fallen very far in terms of threat level.

Nice to see Mal and Karen make up. It's certainly not how I expected their relationship to resolve, but I like that they both realized they were making mistakes in their relationship but rather than break up, they vow to improve in the future because they still want to be together. Also, Kevin Michael Richardson's screaming of "Woman!" as Mal was oddly hilarious.

Wonder Girl kissing Arsenal on the cheek took me by surprise. But with what Arsenal did afterwards, I doubt it's going anywhere. And I was disappointed that Wonder Girl's only lines in the episode amounted to just grunts. If they had Mae Whitman, the least they could do is give her some actual dialogue.

Last edited by a moderator:

morbosfist

Lagoon Boy's broken leg happened April 9. It's May 26 now. Surely it would have healed by now?

By comparison, Kid Flash's broken arm happened October 1 and by mid-November was fixed. Five years later technology, plus Atlantean physiology...I just think LB was on tide-rescue duty with Aquaman.
Lagoon Boy's never been indicated to have a healing factor, and his healing time would depend on the severity of the break. He could conceivably heal in two months if it wasn't too bad, but worse injuries could take longer to heal.

Northern Sun

Just watched "War" on iTunes. Great episode. Loved Mongul and Arsenal. It's good to see the Light's plan coming together, though I doubt that they wanted the Reach in control of War World. Looking forward to seeing Impulse's reaction when he finds out Blue is on mode. Speaking of which, I'd be surprised if ep. 18, "Intervention", wasn't about the Team trying to crash Blue's mode. Wondergirl kissing Arsenal was a bit unexpected, though I doubt it'll go anywhere(speaking of Wonder Girl, really disappointed that she didn't even get lines, and that Batgirl was relegated to a minor role again).

I can't help but wonder about the implications for "Complications". I've been looking forward to the end of the undercover mission(plus some spitfire reunion stuff, and some angst with Artemis and her mom/Ollie/etc) since "Depths", and this episode is likely to have the first one at least. I'm going to assume that Blue Beetle loads everyone available up onto the Bioship and leave, so that leaves Nightwing, Arsenal, and possibly Lagoon Boy as the only active Team members available. Hopefully the preview media will give us some idea of the Team's involvement(if there is any), but I'm hoping Wally will get involved somehow and the 5 of the original members can have some sort of parallel effort to the Runaways to rescue the Team in "The Hunt".

Leradomi

ya know people have been contemplating if Blue was going to kill the team, keep them as hsotages, just disappear etc

Speaking from a medical standpoint (I'm a former paramedic) as Blue poibnted out there is very little oxygen in the place. In fact Arsenal needed a rebreather in order to move. Long term exposure (or non exposure depending on how you look at it) to not having enough oxygen could lead to brain damage, other problems etc.
The team is injured some of them probably very badly. I imagine Bart/Impulse has a hell of a concussion possibly even brain swelling. I can't imagine what a sonic cannon plasma shot feels like let alone the damage it can cause on a human body.

So take that into consideration that though a lot of people are saying that Blue didn't or won't kill them he simply could by just walking away, leaving them to rot with little to no oxygen.

M

MaChKo

I liked the episode. It was good. I hope it isn't just coincidence that when Despero came, the Watch Tower was unveiled to earth people [by the reach] and now when Mongul comes the Reach fleet is unveiled. Also the episode surely gives the true idea of Light. This means the Light has a plan of their own. This explained lot. I mean what is there for The Light, if Reach takes over Earth. I bet the Reach was brought to earth so that the Light could learn more on the Meta Gene. Since The Light were not fully able to replicate the Super Heroes in Project Cadmus. Also what is the point in creating So many super powered guys if you can't control them. They are trying a new idea. Also as I remember correctly in the Season-1 ending I remember Vandal Savage speaking of the requirement of Justice League [six members] to remain alive for the next level of the plan. If this plan was to simply leave them to trials, then there is no point. And hence at some point they return to Earth for a Grand Fight.

Marvelman02

I suspect that the Light's agenda is something more than having the Justice League thrown into an alien prison or having the Earth conquered by the Reach.
Recently, there have been some indications the Light and the Reach are operating at cross-purposes. Remember: Vandal Savage said in s01e26 that the Light needed the Justice League alive for phase 2.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
I've been itching for an episode like this in a while, and it really didn't disappoint. Nice way to divide the Team while the League tries to stop those missiles (Dr. Fate was IMPRESSIVE, I'm guessing Zatanna and whoever else that was absent were doing damage control on Earth). I'm glad Mal is sticking around as Guardian, although he was acting a little unprofessional here. I guess keeping silent about the way their relationship was all this time was really getting to him. I kind of wanted them to take a break, though, because it seemed like Mal was holding onto the past too much. Ah well, at least they worked out their issues (and between this and that one Teen Titans episode, Bumblebee's getting really competent at finding power cores of big doomsday weapons).

Mongul's one of the better villains this season. I almost thought he was going to kill Wolf. Nice shock ending, too! I wonder how the League's trial is going to progress.

Seeing the sentries on the Warship get punched and explode by Impulse made me think that that ship is made of some very cheap materials.

He was hitting them at super speed, though. Maybe if they showed Impulse rubbing his pains or something to show how hard he hit them.

I was disapponted that Nightwing wasn't in on the fight he never gets a good fight anymore, he was locked out of the fight in Before the Dawn, and the only fight he did have (Depths) was a fake one!

Those Manta troops seemed to think it was real.

I don't know why, but Cat Grant's voice really bothered me. Actually, I do know why it bothered me, but not sure why it bothered me to the point of bringing it up here. What a monotonous-sounding news anchor.

I actually liked her delivery when she said there's no point in running.

It does feel like they're just there to set-up larger roles for the next season, which is a bit frustrating. May as well have just gone with Donna - she'd fit in better with Miss Martian, Batgirl, Bumblebee etc. than Cassie does with the younger members to be honest. I know Cassie's there to fill out the YJ comic book rosture a bit more but it's not like she really has a role to play this season that couldn't have been filled by the first Wonder Girl. And since Arrowette appears to be sitting this season out, would it really matter if Cassie did too?

I'm grateful we got any Wonder Girl period, and I love Cassie, but I think it would've been cool to have Donna last season and then Cassie this season. The only person I'm not sure what I'd do with is Supergirl. But I have always wanted to see her on this show.

Anyway, I really do like a lot of the show's writing. This episode, for instance, was well written...it's just that the directing and animation is just so uninspired. It kills me.

Really? I liked a lot of the fight choreography, and it didn't seem like the rest of the Team was waiting around while one member was fighting Mongul. Superboy, Wonder Girl, Arsenal, and Wolf got in some good, fast attacks.

I'm making a t-shirt that says "FREE THE RIMBOR 6!!!!"

Cool. I'll get my sign ready...

ShadowStar

My initial reaction to the peck Wonder Girl planted on Arsenal's cheek was that she only did it to satisfy his request, but what if there was more to it than that? I read somewhere that Roy had a thing with Donna in the comics; maybe they're setting up a Roy/Cassie relationship for Earth-16.

Leradomi

90's cartoon man I know that Mant'as trops seemed to think Nightwing's fight was real but wht I meant by fake was that the only reason he was out there fighting was to keep up appearances in the "fake" lie thing that was going on you know what I mean.

I wonder how many would get the idea behind the shirt free the rimbor 6. If someone asks I'm totally going to play it off and be like there are 6 people imprisoned for crimes they commited while under mind control. Even though they were caught on video, injureing, maiming, mentally torturing people they were under mind control so it's all good and we need them to come home so free the Rimbor 6!!! I would love to see the look on their faces!

FREE THE RIMBOR 6!!!

Really? I liked a lot of the fight choreography, and it didn't seem like the rest of the Team was waiting around while one member was fighting Mongul. Superboy, Wonder Girl, Arsenal, and Wolf got in some good, fast attacks.

Yessir. I ate the Rimbor stuff up this week (Vandal...in SPACE~!). The great thing about the main League is how because of how little they are used it's always exciting when they appear, so as a writing concept it works. The problem is with the Mongul stuff. While exciting on paper, the show always falls flat in its execution. The payoff is never as sweet as it ought to be, primarily because of Network demands killing any chance for true serialization and because the production staff doesn't appear to know the word restraint in terms of the volume of what they attempt to accomplish. That and just a basic, technical ability to bring excitement through the animation. I was watching the credits of the first three Justice League Unlimited episodes the past two days. Each episode has five to seven storyboard artists (and I think it's a similar number for this show), yet the timing and boarding never really captures the power of effective battle entertainment.

Frankly, I'd probably have a heck of a lot less negative things to say if this were a novel and not a dramatization that relies on more than just premise and dialogue.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Either that or Nightwing sent him on a dummy lead on the Manta Sub's location.

Aquaman was on his duff with Nightwing in the Watchtower during the mission.
Cat Grant showed Aquaman and Red Tornado initially helping save people from the mini-tsunamis. Likely the other members of the JL not seen were deployed to help relief efforts in badly hit areas. Does seem idiotic on the surface Aquaman would be at the Watchtower, but with Captain Atom out in the battlefield, Flash or Aquaman should be up there as they are the most senior members left on Earth.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this was a pretty good episode. There was quite a bit of tension with Mongul wanting to destroy the Earth and everyone, even the Reach, trying to stop him. Since the Reach revealed their weapons, I wonder if that will lead to the people having doubts about them, especially when they emphasized that they didn't have weapons before hand. The fights were good and showed good team work among the cast, although having way too many characters is still annoying for me. The way they resolved the Mal/Karen relationship was nice, even though I don't care much about either character. I actually thought that they were going for a breakup between the two given how busy Bumble Bee has been lately, but they probably didn't want to go that route right before Blue Beetle's attack.

I was really surprised with Blue Beetle attacking the team. I didn't think that he would blow his cover for another episode or two. Arsenal attacking like that was understandable since he didn't want to be captured again. That was an intense note to end the episode with anyway. Overall, it was a pretty good episode and I hope that next week's episode will be interesting to watch too.

Mojo25

Can't have a Weisman show without Keith David.

And Doctor Fate is crazy powerful, dude stopped what is basically the Death Stars superlaser alone.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Can't have a Weisman show without Keith David.

And Doctor Fate is crazy powerful, dude stopped what is basically the Death Stars superlaser alone.

Technically, he needed protection from Rocket, but yeah, that was crazy. The way I was interpreting it originally was that he was opening a portal to "redirect" the attack elsewhere, but I guess he was straight up blocking the attack.

My initial reaction to the peck Wonder Girl planted on Arsenal's cheek was that she only did it to satisfy his request, but what if there was more to it than that? I read somewhere that Roy had a thing with Donna in the comics; maybe they're setting up a Roy/Cassie relationship for Earth-16.

I would hate for that. Yeah, I get it, James Dean, rebel without a cause, bad boy, etc., romanticized to be an attractive fellow. I'd rather see more Wally types "get the girl" than any iteration of angry Roy Harper, or even early first season Conner, though I do like Conner now and Red Arrow ended up attracting a villain and not a "nice girl."

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts