What is your favorite generation era for Disney Channel?

Moe

Unlike Cartoon Network, Disney seems not have name for generation era, so I went by years - 1980s premium (1983-1989), 1990s premium (1990-1997), basic era (1997-2002), 2002-2007, 2007-2014, 2014-2016 and 2016 to now.

As for me, I preferred basic era (1997-2002) because it is truly definitive of Disney Channel with Playhouse, Zoog and Vault Disney. Premium era was alright. 2002-2007 wasn't bad. I despise generation that had barely to no animated shows.

I noticed Disney Channel aired movies everyday but not anymore now.

Vault Disney brought me a wonderful memories.

Some cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner continue to offer Disney Channel as premium until 2003 that frustrated many subscribers as they want to see both companies move to basic tier. They literally moved after Vault Disney ended.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I don't have a direct answer, I'm all over the place.
My favorite logo is the 1997-2002 logo, never was a fan of the 2002-2014 logo, nope. Especially didn't like how the logo bug was unnecessarily big. I did like the 2014-2016 graphic look and logo too.

In terms of shows it's different I do like their shows live-action and animated between 1997 to 2007. (Though not Hannah Montana) . Then I kind of drift away from the channel between 2009-2014 (Disney XD felt more my style) there are some sitcoms I did like around that time from like 2012 to 2017. (they were winning me over there versus' Nick's sitcoms)

Even with the logo between 2002-2007, their presentation was top notch there it felt more sure about itself compared to Nick and CN at the time (Nick changed their presentation alot then) the bumpers were fun and how the presented things. The way they played with logo bug in 2007 for seasons was really nice, the ribbons look was fine, but the shows were losing me a bit later on, minus Phineas and Ferb and Zack and Cody.

Moe

I don't have a direct answer, I'm all over the place.
My favorite logo is the 1997-2002 logo, never was a fan of the 2002-2014 logo, nope. Especially didn't like how the logo bug was unnecessarily big. I did like the 2014-2016 graphic look and logo too.

In terms of shows it's different I do like their shows live-action and animated between 1997 to 2007. (Though not Hannah Montana) . Then I kind of drift away from the channel between 2009-2014 (Disney XD felt more my style) there are some sitcoms I did like around that time from like 2012 to 2017. (they were winning me over there versus' Nick's sitcoms)

Even with the logo between 2002-2007, their presentation was top notch there it felt more sure about itself compared to Nick and CN at the time (Nick changed their presentation alot then) the bumpers were fun and how the presented things. The way they played with logo bug in 2007 for seasons was really nice, the ribbons look was fine, but the shows were losing me a bit later on, minus Phineas and Ferb and Zack and Cody.
Interesting, have you accessed to premium version of Disney Channel from 1983 to 1997?

As for me, yes in early 1990s and I remember those. They aired many puppet shows in the morning - Fraggle Rock, Adventures in Wonderland, Under the Umbrella Tree, Welcome to Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus. My dad and I exercised while watch Mousercise. They got several anthology shows, packaged of classic shorts (Mousterpiece Theater, Mickey's Mouse Tracks and Donald's Quack Attack) and some acquired shows like Care Bears, The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show and My Little Pony Tales. Movies during lunch hour and all of nights.

1997-2002 are more of true definitive of Disney Channel, more Disney animated shows, more Disney movies and puppet shows become less and less later. Vault Disney aired old Disney shows and movies, rather than non-Disney movies that aired when it was premium era.

Dr.Pepper

I’m picking ‘90’s premium because that’s when I watched the channel the most, and I love the bumpers with Mickey’s hands.

Reactions: Moe

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
I loved the era that gave us Kim Possible.

The current one's pretty great as well.

Moe

The current one's pretty great as well.
Current one is much better than 2014-2016 but I'm not fan of current one because of less variety and I miss movies air on Disney Channel everyday. Some people said Disney Channel is better when compared to Nickelodeon because of less same movie spam and yeah, I can understand.

However, cord cutters hurt Disney Channel and caused to have less variety with lineup.

Nope, and I didn't grow up with it and never had any of the premium networks as a kid.
I wish you get experience with those premium and it is funny and weird.

I’m picking ‘90’s premium because that’s when I watched the channel the most, and I love the bumpers with Mickey’s hands.
Yeah, it is basically family friendly HBO. I remember about clay made with Mickey's hands and roller coaster to Disney theme park.

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
Current one is much better than 2014-2016 but I'm not fan of current one because of less variety and I miss movies air on Disney Channel everyday. Some people said Disney Channel is better when compared to Nickelodeon because of less same movie spam and yeah, I can understand.

However, cord cutters hurt Disney Channel and caused to have less variety with lineup.
I love the current era mainly because of DTVA's output. They've constantly put out shows I enjoy for quite a good while. I haven't cared about the live-action stuff in over a year.

Moe

I love the current era mainly because of DTVA's output. They've constantly put out shows I enjoy for quite a good while. I haven't cared about the live-action stuff in over a year.
I can see and yeah, most of their lineup is animated.

I love kid live action shows when I was kid in 1990s but not much anymore now. Animated shows are all way for me.

Francisque

There's no doubt that the best era was 2000-3

In Europe and beyond until 2005-7 the channel was still a premium channel, it had a LOT to go for it, including live presentation

Plus, in terms of graphics, the US was clearly missing out, as anywhere outside of the US Disney channels had the best package, while I wasn't a fan of the Disney Channel US "Mickey TV" package used by DC US until 2002, it just looked cheap

Said that, with unified Bounce in 2002-3 things clearly started to improve, especially for the US feed

Too bad the schedule started to worsen, gradually

• Friendly

Moe

There's no doubt that the best era was 2000-3

In Europe and beyond until 2005-7 the channel was still a premium channel, it had a LOT to go for it, including live presentation

Plus, in terms of graphics, the US was clearly missing out, as anywhere outside of the US Disney channels had the best package, while I wasn't a fan of the Disney Channel US "Mickey TV" package used by DC US until 2002, it just looked cheap

Said that, with unified Bounce in 2002-3 things clearly started to improve, especially for the US feed

Too bad the schedule started to worsen, gradually
Contents on Disney Channel (1997-2002) were superior and better than I saw on premium era but yeah, 1997-2002 logo looks very cheesy.

I do think Disney chose a cheesy logo to show a transition from premium to basic in the US and it didn't help with major cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast refused to move Disney Channel from premium to basic for 5 years until 2003. My dad know about move to basic but he was nice enough to still pay for Disney Channel, also it was cheap to buy digital cable bundle that include Disney Channel so my dad can access to digital cable channels like Fox Movie Channel and others. He told me that Time Warner want too much money. If we move to suburb earlier so we would get Marcus cable with Disney Channel included in basic tier and Toon Disney included in digital tier. Charter bought Marcus in 1999.

I'm wonder about Disney bought ESPN and ABC in 1996 that influenced a decision to transition from premium to basic.

How was contents on Disney Channel looks like in international version from 1997 to 2002?

Mejo

Just a standard Fox going about in the Wild West
1980s - 90s Premium is probably my favorite, with Basic Era not far behind.

The premium era had a lot of classic and new Disney content (including (but not limited to): Classic Disney live action movies, Classic Disney shorts (including educational ones, Disney anthology series episodes, Disney animated movies (including compilations), Disney Afternoon series, OG DCOM’s and original live action stuff (such as Welcome to Pooh Corner, DTV, You and Me Kid, Mousercise, Dumbo’s Circus, Adventures in Wonderland etc.), to name a few) plus some fine bumpers (the hand bumpers with Mickey and Donald are great). In addition, since this was a premium service, they were able to run stuff from other studios that they could DEFINITELY not run today (Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck compilation movies (sans Quackbusters which was in the hands of HBO), Hanna Barbers movies and specials (including some of their shows such as Jump, Rattle and Roll and Pound Puppies), classic Fleischer shorts (Superman and Color Classics), Dr. Seuss specials (minus the ones Turner owned at the time), Peanuts Specials and Movies (They even ran It’s The Girl in the Red Truck Charlie Brown!), My Little Pony and Care Bears (both the TV shows and the movies (in the latter’s case, they would also later run the 2017 movie)), Gumby cartoons, foreign cartoon movies like the Dot series and the Peter No Tail series, DIC movies and (I’m not kidding) Alfred Hitchcock movies and Citizen Kane, just to name a few) or they could run stuff that they would later acquire (classic Muppet movies and specials (including Sesame Street) and classic Star Wars movies). While yes, it wasn’t the Disney Channel most remember know and love (it only really became that in 2002) it IS probably the most fascinating era to study.

PerkyStella

How was contents on Disney Channel looks like in international version from 1997 to 2002?

Let's just say that Disney Channel International during that time had a good mix of shows from DC USA as well as regional imported shows either from third-party distributors or commissioned specifically for the international networks. On top of that, there's the live presentation (or in-vision continuity) that happens usually on afternoons; this allows DCI to feel fairly interactive.

But yeah. USA viewers would be surprised at how much different Disney Channel looked elsewhere in the late 90's. The Circles idents in particular are noteworthy gems.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts