The Long Halloween - Cool The Batman DTV?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Now then,

If The Batman were to continue the tradition of it's Halloween timed Direct To DVD features, would you like to see The Long Halloween adapted? Given that more boundries can be pushed in the DTV format and TLH would be a very difficult story to tell in episodic format, is this the way to fly?

The story features an unknown villain killing the various associates of Carmine Falcone, features lots of villains and features the infamous acid in the face scene that turned Harvey Dent into Two-Face, who has yet to appear in the show.

Do you think it could work?

halloween.jpg

Azrael24

why?
i hadnt thought of that, itd actually be a pretty cool idea, best part would be lots of selina, :nurse:

it would mess up with the dent/twoface/clayface/ethn thing because in the long halloween i dont think harvey was bruce's best friend, or was he?!? i dont think he was

FALLEN ELDOR

I would KILL for an adoption of TLH KILL!!!! As well it's sequel story Dark Victory witch introduced Dick Grayson.

Azrael24 said:

it would mess up with the dent/twoface/clayface/ethn thing because in the long halloween i dont think harvey was bruce's best friend, or was he?!? i dont think he was

The betrayal of Harvey Dent was the whole point of the story. Not just his betrayal of Batman and Gordon, but his betrayal of the law he believed in. That was something robbed away from Two Face by this new Clayface. It was a good story, it just wasn't the right character :shrug:

adoptedBatpuppy said:
They are going to make movie based on this comic book! That's news to me! :cool:

Well it's rumored that dent and Joker will be the focus of the next two films. Also the Long Halloween was a major source of inspiration for batman Begins as evident by it's inclusion with the Deluxe to disk set.

sdp

miscrave
i thought this was a rumor or something ;/

that idea would be interesting, even if they changed a lot of things for the DTV.

elfwithagun

I think that would make a dead awesome DTV. There had been some talk about what if they did a Hush of the Killing Joker DTV for the batman, but this one has alot of potential (not to say the other ones dont):)

Silly McGooses

not to be a "B:TAS ROCKS TB SUX!" folk, but I think this story is much more of a B:TAS story than a TB story. It just seems better fitted to that world to me.

sdp

miscrave
well Justice League seems more fitted for The Batman and not the more realistic B:TAS but he still got the job so no reason why TB shouldn't ;D

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Silly McGooses said:
not to be a "B:TAS ROCKS TB SUX!" folk, but I think this story is much more of a B:TAS story than a TB story. It just seems better fitted to that world to me.
I agree, but we already had a Two-Face origin story for BTAS, whereas The Batman has not. I would be interested in seeing it if it's made, but I'm not holding my breath.

JLU Dude

Stu said:
Now then,

If The Batman were to continue the tradition of it's Halloween timed Direct To DVD features, would you like to see The Long Halloween adapted? Given that more boundries can be pushed in the DTV format and TLH would be a very difficult story to tell in episodic format, is this the way to fly?

The story features an unknown villain killing the various associates of Carmine Falcone, features lots of villains and features the infamous acid in the face scene that turned Harvey Dent into Two-Face, who has yet to appear in the show.

Do you think it could work?
Maybe, but it's be hard in the usual DTV length, though maybe with the length of Mask of the Phantasm. Though, it'd also be wise to introduce Carmine Facolne and Scarecrow first, maybe even Harvey Dent.:p

Azrael24 said:
i hadnt thought of that, itd actually be a pretty cool idea, best part would be lots of selina, :nurse:

Dent thought Bruce had some connection to the Falcone mafia given that Thomas Wayne saved the life of Falcone when he was younger, but it turned out to be false. But, Dent was allied with Batman and Gordon to take down Falcone, so it's either way.

FALLEN ELDOR said:
The betrayal of Harvey Dent was the whole point of the story. Not just his betrayal of Batman and Gordon, but his betrayal of the law he believed in. That was something robbed away from Two Face by this new Clayface. It was a good story, it just wasn't the right character :shrug:
Yeah, there might be a "been there, done that" feel, if they did Harvey Dent, but I'd still like to see TB's Harvey Dent.

Silly McGooses said:
Maybe so, but Tim Sale's protryal of the majority of the Batman Rogues are as weird as TB's, so who knows? Besides, as Karkull pointed out, TB hasn't done Two-Face, yet. It'd still work, either way.:)

TLH would be a very difficult story to tell in episodic format
Uh.....TLH was told in episodic format. It was released one issue at a time over the span of one year. If they made a movie, it would have to be condensed in the 75-80 minute format that DTV's normally have. But anyway, I just don't think that it would work well in the world of The Batman. Not dissing TB, but TLH is totally different tone-wise.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Visually speaking, I think that THE BATMAN's art style is a lot more akin to that of Tim Sale than BTAS. I'd love to see this, too - though, of course, the actual killings would have to be dumbed down a LOT for a children's show.

-Tim

JLU Dude

TimTwoFace said:
Visually speaking, I think that THE BATMAN's art style is a lot more akin to that of Tim Sale than BTAS. I'd love to see this, too - though, of course, the actual killings would have to be dumbed down a LOT for a children's show.

-Tim
Not to mention heavily-implied since the killings were done with a gun.

Anarky

Team Conan
could 13-issues really be crammed into a film that's less than 90 minutes?

i had always wished that HBO had done a TVMA adaptation of TLH & DV sparing nothing. Of course, WB would never do a TVMA animated batman because of the character's mass appeal.

I always wondered if Matsuda would use Sale's Scarecrow design as inspiration.

btw, if there are more DTVs in the future, what might they be?

JLU Dude

Anarky said:
could 13-issues really be crammed into a film that's less than 90 minutes?

i had always wished that HBO had done a TVMA adaptation of TLH & DV sparing nothing. Of course, WB would never do a TVMA animated batman because of the character's mass appeal.

I always wondered if Matsuda would use Sale's Scarecrow design as inspiration.

btw, if there are more DTVs in the future, what might they be?
Actually, a scrapped Scarecrow design can be seen here in a pic with the three B: TAS/TNBA Scarecrow designs.

JLU Dude

Sirkenz17 said:
So..........are they planning to use Scarecrow or what?:confused: That'd be something to see.;)
They were, but probably due to the Embargo on Scarecrow, the plans were scrapped. That being said, I agree that it'd be interesting to see Scarecrow.

FALLEN ELDOR

JLU Dude said:
Yeah, there might be a "been there, done that" feel, if they did Harvey Dent, but I'd still like to see TB's Harvey Dent.

Agreed, TB NEEDS Two Face! I have wondered if he is covered under the same embargo as Ra's and Scarecrow...Regardless he should definitely come onboard TB! Now that we have Gordon perhaps it's time they introduce Harvey Dent? Heck it might even be a good way to teach children about the criminal system. I learned about the law from watching Batman and asking questions afterward. Every generation of 10 year olds should learn the criminal Justice system by watching Batman cartoons.

In order to make Two Face fresh and new (not just a repeat of what we saw with Ethan) they would have to change something about him, that's not exactly a foreign concept to Capizzi and Matsuda...I liked what they did with Poison Ivy, the changed and adapted her, giving her a new background but not altering her motivation or origin that much. The same should be true with Two Face. He needs to be Harvey Dent, Distinct Attorney who is trying to clean up crime in Gotham. Motivation needs to be the same, as does his origin the scaring of his face by a criminal...What if he had a grudge against Hugo Strange and Arkham, perhaps he believes the inmates aren't as crazy as they act and deserve a harsher punishment? What if that's what pulls his second personality to the surface somehow? Wild theorys aside, Two Face needs to be altered so he isn't a repeat of Ethan Bennett (that Thunder is already stolen) but Two Face most definitely needs to be Two Face just as Joker is still recognizably Joker. Bad hair and his fashion sense aside The Joker has been handled well as far as translations go.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts