The current shows are ending

spyke

Wouldn't surprise me, A:EMH was cancelled due to a change in business logic, getting the X-Men and FF back is huge.

The only change in business logic/policy that I want to see change at Marvel Animation is their mandatory extreme synergy policy with the live action films. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me that these shows were canceled due to low ratings caused by their extreme synergy policy (as well as partly due to many of their current shows talking down to their viewers and partly due to bland looking art and inconsistent animation) which made their shows very bland and predictable.

Hopefully, Marvel/Disney will return to outsourcing their Marvel animated series out to Film Roman again with a whole new Marvel Animated Universe that is MOSTLY synergy free. I also hope that Disney will finally bring over the English dub of AVENGERS: DISC WARS and FUTURE AVENGERS.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Does anyone know if they already starting producing Guardians of the Galaxy Season 3?

78 (?) episodes is definitely a good run.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I recall they screened some footage and animatics from the next season of Guardians at a con last year, so I think production has started a while ago.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Whether this is really the end for all of the shows mentioned or not, just waking up and seeing the words ending next to four of my favorite cartoons of the last year (Spider-Man, Justice League Action, Stretch Armstrong, Milo Murphy's Law) is pretty discouraging.

Seeing mentions of layoffs being shared by MAS employees sounds pretty serious. As much as I may not always be satisfied with the execution when it comes to the shows, I always know that there are talented, hard working people behind the scenes and I hate to see anybody lose their gig. It has me wondering if there might be a major shift for Marvel Animation Studios period, like a restructuring or closing or something. I do wonder, if all of this comes to pass, if they'd finish up whatever work they were doing for the next seasons of the shows or what. It's kind of curious to me not seeing any mention of Marvel Rising with the other three projects.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

If true it's both sad and Awesome at the same time.

As much as AA improved since season 3 I am not going to miss it. It can enjoy it's long run but bye, looking forward to it's last season Black Panther Quest.

I like to a certain degree GOTG but I am glad it's going too. It's associated with US and AA so this one fall under sad and Awesome.

Marvel's Spider-Man is quite sad that it is going, it was interesting and quite different but at the same time I can see why some might be happy about that and to a certain degree I don't mind at all that its ending. A 100% solo Spider-Man show is what we all truly want.

With the lay-off I hope it's not too bad but I don't mind hearing it closing down and moving to Disney Animation TV Studio taking over 100% in production and their first act is to assign Craig Johnson, Craig Kyle and Chris Yost as the three executive producers of Marvel Animations.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
As much as I enjoyed EMH, I would love to see them create a more stylized universe in the same style as either Spectacular Spider-Man or the DCAU. Both would allow for easier animation while also appealing to kids. Taking a more focused approach to story telling would likely lead to a product that could aim at the pre-teen and teen markets, which was the original intent of Disney XD.
I feel like the character designs for Marvel's Spider-Man and the upcoming "Black Panther's Quest" was an attempt by Marvel Animation to move in a more stylized and serialized direction, though with the former I don't think they quite had the animation budget to pull that style of animation off :ack:.
Aside from some of the licensed products, actual Marvel Spider-Man merchandise has been largely limited to recycling the previous Ultimate figures on new cards. With the exception of some Asian market figures and the Mini Metal figures, most of the newer costumes have been absent from the marketplace. Add to most stores being inundated with Homecoming merchandise still, and it seems like Disney couldn't be bothered to properly support the series.
Disney XD's treatment of Marvel's Spider-Man has always felt kind of topsy-turvy.

There was very little initial promotion for the cartoon at first, but then that ratcheted up to a major degree before the premiere and it seemed to get decent promotion.

But now it's ben on hiatus for a while, and won't be returning until near the end of January, and on-top of that there's apparently been some merchandising issues.
Seeing mentions of layoffs being shared by MAS employees sounds pretty serious. As much as I may not always be satisfied with the execution when it comes to the shows, I always know that there are talented, hard working people behind the scenes and I hate to see anybody lose their gig. It has me wondering if there might be a major shift for Marvel Animation Studios period, like a restructuring or closing or something. I do wonder, if all of this comes to pass, if they'd finish up whatever work they were doing for the next seasons of the shows or what. It's kind of curious to me not seeing any mention of Marvel Rising with the other three projects.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk
Yeah, all the layoffs sounds to me like there's a lot of restructuring going on with Marvel Animation right now, on-top of all the shows ending.

I thought it was strange that Marvel Rising isn't listed, but I guess that might be because Marvel Television is developing it rather then Marvel Animation.

I also don't see the Deadpool cartoon listed anywhere.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
@Frontier What animation budget, it feels like Marvel is spending less on their animation compared to the 2000s, I don't know but for some reason it looks like the production values of their new shows became cheaper when they merged with Disney. I don't know if Disney isn't giving them a lot of money or Marvel doesn't really care about its animation department but how does Justice League action, a cartoon that CN doesn't give a crap about looks better than this show.

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, I am going to be really ticked if they end Marvel's Spider-Man just to deliver a new Spider-Man cartoon that's closer to the movies :mad:.
@Frontier What animation budget, it feels like Marvel is spending less on their animation compared to the 2000s, I don't know but for some reason it looks like the production values of their new shows became cheaper when they merged with Disney. I don't know if Disney isn't giving them a lot of money or Marvel doesn't really care about its animation department but how does Justice League action, a cartoon that CN doesn't give a crap about looks better than this show.
I don't know what happened to Marvel's in-house animation.

None of the current show's look on par with Wolverine and the X-Men or some of the DTV movies Marvel was releasing way back when.

But I recall those were funded by Lionsgate, so I guess Disney doesn't provide as much funding by comparison :confused:?

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Y'know, I am going to be really ticked if they end Marvel's Spider-Man just to deliver a new Spider-Man cartoon that's closer to the movies :mad:.

If thats the case then here is a gif that reflects my feelings

tumblr_ojz08cdc5a1si5iy0o2_400.gif

Frontier

Staff member
See, I thought Ultimate Spider-Man ended to make the new show more like the MCU Spider-Man.
I know the reason Marvel's Spider-Man existed is because they wanted a back-to-basics Spider-Man cartoon to time with the premiere of Homecoming.

Roxas_Sora

They better don't dare to end the new Spider-Man series just when is getting interesting with Spider-Island and Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin!!!

The again, I believe something like this already happened, when they said they show ended but they were actually starting new seasons with different names. Just like "Avengers: Ultron Revolution" and "Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors". Maybe this is the same case.

Anyway, after what I read about the future arc of Spider-Island, if they dare to put an end just when this was getting awesome (not to mention the exploration of new stories coming from this arc), I'M GONNA SMASH THEM ALL!!!

Frontier

Staff member
They better don't dare to end the new Spider-Man series just when is getting interesting with Spider-Island and Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin!!!

The again, I believe something like this already happened, when they said they show ended but they were actually starting new seasons with different names. Just like "Avengers: Ultron Revolution" and "Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors". Maybe this is the same case.

Anyway, after what I read about the future arc of Spider-Island, if they dare to put an end just when this was getting awesome (not to mention the exploration of new stories coming from this arc), I'M GONNA SMASH THEM ALL!!!
I thought about whether each show is "ending" only to get re-branded into another show, but given he refers to Avengers Assemble specifically rather then "Avengers: Secret Wars" or "Avengers: Black Panther's Quest," I imagine he meant the series as a whole.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

The guy who posted this info in his blog clearly mentioned that it could have errors, so I'm going to stay as this information is wrong until there's official confirmation.

Besides, having recovered the Fantastic Four and the X-Men is not excuse enough for cancelling a show that just started and the rest of them before what they announced. They can simply make the characters make regular cameos in the old shows, and then, they can think about creating new animated series for them. After all, back in the 90s, they had more than 3 series at the time: Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk and the Fantastic Four. So they can clearly continue with Avengers, Guardians and Spider-Man while they start new shows.

Also, for Disney, the Fantastic Four would be easy to handle (they are like the incredibles), but the X-Men are very violent by Disney Standards (especially Wolverine, Deadpool and others). So they should give themselves time to think about them before starting a new show.

Frontier

Staff member
Also, for Disney, the Fantastic Four would be easy to handle (they are like the incredibles), but the X-Men are very violent by Disney Standards (especially Wolverine, Deadpool and others). So they should give themselves time to think about them before starting a new show.
If Disney XD is okay with running stuff like Star Wars: Rebels or Star vs. The Forces of Evil, then I don't think an X-Men cartoon with Wolverine would be that much of a stretch for them.

TheLemsterPju

If Disney XD is okay with running stuff like Star Wars: Rebels or Star vs. The Forces of Evil, then I don't think an X-Men cartoon with Wolverine would be that much of a stretch for them.

Star vs. The Forces of Evil is violent? (Haven't seen it tbh.)

Frontier

Staff member
Food for thought, but I've seen a suggestion that Disney/Marvel might possibly be ending all it's cartoons in order to move them to one of the streaming services Disney now owns (either Hulu or their own original service).
Star vs. The Forces of Evil is violent? (Haven't seen it tbh.)
For a kids cartoon it can be.

Roxas_Sora

One thing is "classic violence from cartoons" and another one is violence of a whole new level. A level where Deadpool does stuff like in his movie: Shooting people on their heads, cutting his own hand, torturing, or even cutting someone's head. Also, the X-Men are always dealing with haters, racism against mutants, pacts with devils and several other atrocities hard to see in a Disney movie. The closest thing from Disney that I can remember are Frollo's hate for gypsies in "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame", and Chernabog's segment in Fantasia.

Food for thought, but I've seen a suggestion that Disney/Marvel might possibly be ending all it's cartoons in order to move them to one of the streaming services Disney now owns (either Hulu or their own original service).

As far as I see, streaming is still an "experimental" technology, so I don't see why people have to jump so quickly to anything new before giving it time to try. Also, it would be too drastic to move all their currents cartoons just like that. It would have more sense to do it first with their older shows.

Frontier

Staff member
One thing is "classic violence from cartoons" and another one is violence of a whole new level. A level where Deadpool does stuff like in his movie: Shooting people on their heads, cutting his own hand, torturing, or even cutting someone's head. Also, the X-Men are always dealing with haters, racism against mutants, pacts with devils and several other atrocities hard to see in a Disney movie. The closest thing from Disney that I can remember are Frollo's hate for gypsies in "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame", and Chernabog's segment in Fantasia.
You don't have to have Deadpool slicing people up like in his movie. I mean, they made an entire joke out of it in Ultimate Spider-Man :p.

I definitely think the themes and stories of the X-Men may seem out-of-place with the general style of the current Marvel cartoons, but given past X-Men cartoons have been able to make it work I don't see why a modern one couldn't :).
As far as I see, streaming is still an "experimental" technology, so I don't see why people have to jump so quickly to anything new before giving it time to try. Also, it would be too drastic to move all their currents cartoons just like that. It would have more sense to do it first with their older shows.
Streaming services need content to get people to subscribe to it.

Having some revamped or new Marvel cartoons exclusively on a service would probably be a good way of enticing people ;).

Roxas_Sora

Streaming services need content to get people to subscribe to it.

Having some revamped or new Marvel cartoons exclusively on a service would probably be a good way of enticing people ;).

More like give people reasons to reject it. Everyday is more difficult for regular people to save money, as the salaries are lower and many youngers (including me) have problems finding or keeping a job. If they have to start to pay money for something that was "relatively" free before, they will surely reject it to keep the money for more important stuff, like food or something else.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts