Spider-Man: TNAS "Spider-Man Dis-Sabled" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate Spider-Man "Spider-Man Dis-Sabled"

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 25.0%

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
MTV will air an all-new episode of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series tonight at 10pm (ET).

talkbacklogo.jpg

Episode #10 - Spider-Man Disabled
Original Airdate - August 8th, 2003

Peter covers a press conference and inadvertently videotapes incriminating evidence against Silver Sable, an eastern European assassin for hire. Now she will stop at nothing – including killing Harry and Mary Jane – to get the tape back

Comments?

slackermonkey

Save The Day
Well, looks like I'm the first to comment with my thoughts.

I thought this episode was, for the most part, average. Not bad, just not a particular standout. Nice to see more developments on the Peter/MJ/Indy love triangle, especially since after Indy's introduction she had mostly been limited to cameo appearances.

As for Silver Sable, she was pretty much as she was in the comics, just somewhat more ruthless. It was cool to see her, but I'm not sure exactly why she was portrayed as a bit more of a villain here, or why THEY HAD TO FREAKING "KILL" HER. It seems like every single episode ends with the villain's (or in Sable's case, antagonist's) apparent death. It got old the second time it happened.

Final Grade - B

However, next week's episode looks great. We'll get to see Kingpin and what seems to be a classic "Parker luck" subplot -- Peter having to miss MJ's play to stop Kingpin.

SNS

For some reason these talkbacks aren't much popular anymore. I wonder if it's because people are getting tired of the series or because more people post on the WBC then this new board.

czyznyck99

Only the first act was good. Then it turned into a cliched Spiderman episode in which the villian is semi-killed.

And MTV are idiots. Why was their bug advertising that a new episode of Spiderman (this episode) was on at 10 pm, which was the exact time that people were watching the episode. It was unnecessary self-promotion.

Later.

Anarky

Team Conan
i liked this ep
what got my attention was when Indy asked Spider-Man if he time for another interview? the only other time they met was in "Tight Squeeze"

of course, since the M is airing these out of sync, perhaps there was an interview of sorts.

what irked me when that little blurb opped up on the screen, advetising Spider-Man was on Fri nites at 10. Duh! That's the exact timeslot we were watching. It's also annoying that it's on the top of the screen, instead of the bottom. it obstructs the viewer from seeing the characters faces or something important going on in the background. they should use the ticker bar at the bottom like....every other network does (espn, cnn, fox, tnt, etc...)

back to this ep
nice to see sable again after all these years.
i remember reading some comics f. her about 10 yrs ago.
i loved the break-in at peter's dorm: he's behind the door...HE"S NOT BEHIND THE DOOR, sweet. Some awesome webslinging and camera work as well.

i only wish the characters would wear different clothes
hey, spidey got his left shoulder slashed again (electro, shikata, sable) good thing he's right-handed. Being a southpaw, I would've been screwed. repitition aside, i'm still pleased w/ the new Spidey.

spidey, x-men, teen titans, justice league, turtles, batwoman, samurai jack, animatrix, clone wars shorts, ...even stripperella. tv is good

Spidey2099

Originally Posted by czyznyck99:

And MTV are idiots. Why was their bug advertising that a new episode of Spiderman (this episode) was on at 10 pm, which was the exact time that people were watching the episode. It was unnecessary self-promotion.

Again, D.U.M.P. = Desperate and Unneccessary Marketing Ploy. (I'm starting the new trend my friend. :cool: )

Anyway, I don't know why the writers are so afraid to keep these characters around. Do they think that because the show takes place in movie continuity it has to conform to whatever is going to happen in Spider-Man 2 (and 3)? Why don't they just use a spin-off continuity (like Batman Beyond is to The New Batman Adventures), and just follow it after the first movie. More than likely, the show's already using some character or another that won't add up to the second and third movie's continuity. (Say, bringing in the Scorpion when he's going to make a first appearance in Spider-Man 3- don't take this as fact, I'm just making a fake example.)

Dabura

King of the Next Dimension
I mostly liked this episode for the continuation of the whole Indy-MJ-Peter love triangle. I was a bit disappointed after we first met Indy and MJ runs away crying at the end of the episode, then in the next episode no one mentions anything. Every villian dying is getting very annoying, although I don't think this one died. Anyway, I'm happy enough with the series, considering what it is.

Zoddman

Made for your pleasure
Folks, they made it pretty obvious Sable's alive. When she fell into the water, she tucked her legs in and landed on her back, which is what you're supposed to do when you fall into the water from a great distance.

Secondly, the cameras pans over the water near the end of the scene, and we see bubbles float to the surface of the water.

She's ALIVE. No more of this "fake death" stuff.

Sorry, but I liked this episode, so:p

(P.S. Anybody notice that the show implied that Peter and Indy "spent the night" together? All I can say is GO PETE!!!:D)

ClockStomper

One who loves naked Kagome
Zoddman said:
Folks, they made it pretty obvious Sable's alive. When she fell into the water, she tucked her legs in and landed on her back, which is what you're supposed to do when you fall into the water from a great distance.

Secondly, the cameras pans over the water near the end of the scene, and we see bubbles float to the surface of the water.

She's ALIVE. No more of this "fake death" stuff.

No, it is you who misunderstands. no one thought they really killed her, hence why people put "kill" in quotes and said "semi-killed". It's getting tiresome that the villian always ends up with Spidey thinking they died instead of him actually turning them in.

Next week: Kingpin, yay!

Zoddman

Made for your pleasure
ClockStomper said:
No, it is you who misunderstands. no one thought they really killed her, hence why people put "kill" in quotes and said "semi-killed". It's getting tiresome that the villian always ends up with Spidey thinking they died instead of him actually turning them in.
I was talking more about Dabura's post than anybody elses, ClockStomper. Read his post again.

KAW

Very good episode. Cool action...and Peter got some hiney. I love it when Mary Jane cries.:sweat:

Pyro

I think all these "deaths" are because the writers can't figure out a way for Spider-Man to save the day and stop the "villain" without the villain being "dead." And in my opinion, that is utterly horrible. Spider-Man fights to stop death. Even though most of them didn't really die, They appear dead to him, yet he doesn't seem to care much. What I think this show needs is writers who "get" Spider-Man, a little less focus on college life, and to be a lot less inhibited from being tied to the movies. I know that this is supposed to be in continuity with the movies, but the case is this is not the movies! Once the making of Spider-Man movies is over, no one is going to think of the show as bridges between movies! The movies should do a good enough job on their own of making good stories that have their own continuity, especially since there will be people who haven't seen the show! So the show shouldn't have to be bound so tightly in not using too many of his main villains, and having such a small supporting cast.
I didn't mind it before, but just Peter, MJ, and Harry is getting monotonous. Where is everyone?! We should at least get Gwen, since Peter apparently talks to her on the internet, but no, we have Indy, (supposedly their version of Betty Brant) some odd new person who doesn't really do much for me. I know some of you like her, but maybe I just can't get past her look. Funny glasses, and a horrid color scheme. But I do admit she makes things more interesting. Maybe it's because our tedious trio is getting so boring.
Now, I enjoyed the ep. The web-swinging and fight scenes were great. But I thought Silver Sable became another Electra. So now we have Shikata and Silver Sable. At least Shikata had the honor thing, and sword thing. Silver sable had those rod things that resemble Electra's sais. She could have at least used her trademark chais, but no, they sucked all the individuality out of her. So I guess you can tell, I thought they could have done a better job at giving her character.
I found it funny when MJ, Harry, and Indy started hitting the guy after Spider-Man saved them.
About the ending, just exactly what happened there? I'm thinking that Peter got it on with Indy, and to quote MJ, "That is just wrong." And really it is, on so many levels. I just can't take that. All the other episodes gave me the idea that Indy liked Peter, but Peter just saw her as a friend, yet felt more comfortable with the idea of liking her since she liked him back, and didn't have a long time friendship with her like with MJ. But mainly, I don't see Peter "getting together" with anyone! I always thought he would be too modest with his upbringing and such, but if he did I would make it MJ, and they would actually have to be in a relationship!
Gee, I found a lot more things I didn't like in this episode than I had originally thought. Oh well, 4 1/2 stars anyway.

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Well, this was another pretty good episode...I liked all the Silver Sable stuff, but I guess I'm the only one who really just doesn't care for Indy. I find her kind of annoying...and wish Peter and MJ would get together! I mean, c'mon...I just wish the dialogue between MJ/Indy/Harry would be crisper...if it was, maybe I would've liked the non-Sable moments. Overall, a good episode.

A-

-Brainiac

Krypton710

LOOK!!! BEHIND YOU!!!
Man the fight sences in this ep where sweet and Peter and Indy heheh. And did they get Michael Clark Duncan to play the Kingpin he really brought the character to loife in the Daredevil movie.

czyznyck99

Actually, this reminds me of the 90s series when MJ went over to Harry and Peter went over to Felicia (by accident to protect MJ from Morbius) They will end up together, which ruins the drama somewhat.

And Indy is very annoying. What bugs me is that squeaky-clean Peter Parker had Indy over for the night. MTV thinks that a TV-14 rating justifies this? Not only is this extremely out of character, it downgrads Parker to another dumb typical college student, and that is not exactly what I signed up for when I started watching this show.

Later.

Teio

Well,I'm slowly losing interest.

Mostly due to the fact that every episode so far has to always involve Harry and Mary Jane (and now probably Indy):rolleyes:.

DianaGohan

Thanks to my absence, I missed about 4 episodes. I owe at least a grade to the episodes I missed, and that's what I'll give.

Terroists And New Love Intrests In The Spiderman 2003 Episode Grade of "Tight Squeeze" = B+

Too Crazy In Love In The Spiderman 2003 Episode Grade of "Head Over Heels" = B

Electro's Return... Will it Be His Last In The Spiderman 2003 Episode Grade of "When Sparks Fly" = A-.

Love Triangles Do Not Add Up With Terrorists And Those Who Are After Them in The Spiderman 2003 Episode Grade of "Spider-Man Disabled"= B+.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
SNS said:
For some reason these talkbacks aren't much popular anymore. I wonder if it's because people are getting tired of the series or because more people post on the WBC then this new board.

No offense to anyone, but I think people are getting tired of the fact that this board is swamped by Talkbacks. If you haven't seen the episode in question you can't really contribute. Myself and others are hoping for some more general Marvel animated discussion. I'd start a thread, but I don't have anything to bring up currently.

Mister Intensity

I do agree with the people who say that the writers shouldn't try to tie things down to the movie too much because it is way too limiting and leads to way too many colorless villains instead of the colorful Rogues Gallery associated with Spider-Man. Besides, any attempt to keep the show within movie continuity died the moment they introduced Doc Conners as The Lizard, who from what I hear does appear in the next Spider-Man movie sans his reptilian side. While many animated series used movies as their jumping off point, Real Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Rambo, even B:TAS, they never made a pretense of adhering to movie continuity. The makers of these shows realized that the movie makers are going to do whatever they want regardless of what they do so they go in their own direction.

I feel that Spider-Man tries too hard to adhere to the movie and to capture the feel of a Hollywood blockbuster. The producers just don't realize that Hollywood movies and televised animated cartoons are two different things with two different styles of storytelling. The attempt to do a Hollywood movie within the half-hour animated format just leads to flat storylines, flat characters, and a flat visual experience. The whole point of an animated cartoon is to do things you can't do in live action, whether it is obvious or not so obvious in terms of visual and narrative cues.

Another problem with this series is the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" syndrome. They are not confined by "children's television" content limitations and its associated cliches but instead of using it to increase the danger level and the dramatic tension, they bring in more "Hollywood blockbuster" shorthand and its associated cliches. The characters are allowed to curse so they curse just for the sake of cursing. Characters are allowed to drink so there is rampant underaged, albeit implied, drinking (Peter, Harry, and Mary Jane are supposed to be about 19). Characters are allowed to be killed so they get "killed" (yeah I know they are not dead but I'll get to that in a moment). I could go on and on but all of these things are being done for the sake of being done not to advance the story.

Most of the things that characters are allowed to do I mentioned are things associated with "Hollywood blockbusters." Have you even notice that one of the mean action set pieces in this series is some variation of the car crash. How do most blockbusters end? They end with some type of event that leads to "death" of the villian but you never see the body so the villian could be around for the sequal and while this happens the hero looks on cavalierly. That describes the ending of half the episodes so far. The problem with that is, one, it gets repetitive after the second time and, two, it goes against one of the tenets of Spider-Man's character. Pyro~maniacX hits it right on the head, Peter upholds life, even the life of his enemies. While he can't save them all, he always try and when he fails it affects him. With the exception of The Party, the Peter of this show doesn't seem to care too much, just like most Hollywood action heroes. Since that's the way it is done in Hollywood, the writers ignore other options like being jailed, getting away, injury, even real death, in other words, nothing more clever than an apparent death.

Everything seems to be by the numbers and this show is so obsessed with youth that we don't see most of the familiar supporting cast like Aunt May, Robbie Robinson, Betty Brant, etc. I'm at the point that I am on the verge of giving up on the show after next week (The Kingpin episode better be good). Head Over Heels showed the potential for this show, I just hope that episode wasn't a freak occurance.

Mister Intensity

P.S. I caught the Indy implication and personally, I look at it as the middle of the afternoon and Indy was just checking something out in Peter's room I'm no prude, but Peter "spending the night" with someone that he isn't in love with isn't in character for either "Classic Peter" or "movie Peter" (he didn't get together MJ at the end of the movie after she practically begged him to because he knew that his duties as Spider-Man would get in the way). I am an Indy fan but he won't get close to somebody until he feels safe.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts