"Power Rangers Dino Fury" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
PR-DinoFury-header.jpg

When an army of powerful alien beings is unleashed on Earth, threatening life as we know it, a brand-new team of Power Rangers, fueled by the pre-historic power of the dinosaurs, are recruited to deal with the threat.

An adaptation of Super Sentai 43, Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger, Power Rangers Dino Fury is exclusive to Nickelodeon and NickToons.

Previous Power Rangers Premiere Talkbacks:
Jungle Fury
RPM - Part 1 / Part 2
Samurai - Season 1 Part 1/Season 1 Part 2/Season 2
Megaforce - Season 1/Season 2
Dino Charge - Season 1/Season 2
Ninja Steel - Season 1/Season 2
Beast Morphers - Season 1 / Season 2
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Reversioned)
Lost Galaxy (Vortexx)
--------------------------------------------

Episode 1 - "Destination Dinohenge"
Air Date: February 20th, 2021

Go-getting reporter Amelia accompanies Ollie and his mom, Dr. Akana, to investigate the mysterious Dinohenge statues. They run into an evil warrior named Void Knight and a threat that puts the entire world in danger.

Scrappy-Fan92

It's good to be back. I quite enjoyed the premiere. It's always nice to see the production crew flex with original fight footage to really solidify that fresh season smell. My thoughts:

-Yep, that theme song is interesting. I kind of don't hate it, but it's too short. Nick, please let your shows' themes be longer.
-New music composer this year, no idea if Noam Kaniel left or if he's just sharing composing duties again this time. The more electronic background music matches the more electronic theme song, and it at least sticks out compared to the years before.
-It's a good thing Amelia's specifically working for what I'm presuming is some kind of teen lifestyle company, otherwise I'd be very confused on why no one seemingly wants to hear her out on her ghost hunting.
-Kind of hard to be "rational" in a universe where demons and aliens terrorize the Earth every year, Ollie.
-Can we talk about how the Morphin' Masters turned Zayto and co.'s trusted dinosaur allies into statues? They didn't deserve that!
-People (myself included) largely assumed that the knight portion of Ryusoulger would be scrubbed away in original footage, only to have us view a premiere episode where an alien knight in full regalia is riding a T. rex like he's Optimus Prime in Age of Extinction. Magnificent.
-The casual spoiling is amusing. You can clearly see a Gold Ranger in several shots, not to mention all of the power-ups the team will get later.
-I love the suits, including Void Knight's. They're very sleek looking.
-"Hengeman" is a great name for the foot soldiers.
-The base is great, too. It is kind of weird we got three dinosaur-themed Power Rangers shows in a row where the Rangers have underground bases.

This episode's pacing was pretty fast, and we didn't even get the whole team yet! I'm curious to see how things pan out, and the hunt for the Sporix makes me wonder if we're going to have a season of Rangers containing their villains-of-the-week again. See you all for the next episode.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Dino Fury "Destination Dinohenge"

Shocker of shockers: I liked it. I can't predict if the show will be this solid going forward (Beast Morphers had a good premiere too before quickly devolving into cringe) but I thought it was neat.

I like how female centered the franchise feels to start off with. I also like that the Rangers appear to be adults with jobs rather than teenagers who go to school. And I especially like that the voice performances of the bad guys and creatures don't seem hammy or cartoonishly over-the-top.

The quips and line deliveries were also not terrible.

The show keeps this up, I'll like it. Beast Morphers was unable to. I suppose we'll find out soon enough. ****1/2.

veemonjosh

image-asset.jpeg

Episode 2 - "Sporix Unleashed"
Air Date: February 27th, 2021

Ollie carries out a plan to catch Sporix without his teammates’ knowledge.

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

I never thought I'd see teleportation be a regular fixture in a Power Rangers season ever again...unless this is another onetime thing like it was in Megaforce's premiere. Assorted thoughts:

-I saw that "Hartford Robotics" sign at the BuzzBlast HQ, show. I see what you're up to.
-Mucus has a cute voice.
-I do like that Ollie and Amelia had to keep tabs on Zayto so they could acclimate him to modern Earth. I feel bad that he doesn't even have his dinosaur allies to keep him company in the present day (one more sign that we're definitely not in the Dino Charge dimension).
-The modern shows have been kind of weird with how many invocations are involved before a Morph sequence. "Link to Morphin' Grid" sounds a bit clunky to me (and actually feels like it would've fit the Beast Morpher Rangers more now that I think about it), but I guess I'll get used it.
-The Morph sequence itself looks nice. More dynamic than the past few years without being as convoluted as some of the other more "active" transformation sequences.
-Amelia must've really worn people's patience thin if she's getting doubts over the existence of aliens in the Power Rangers universe of all places.
-I do like how after more than 25 years of Rangers and their tech advisors frequently mingling Earth tech with non-Earth tech someone finally brings up the fair point that screwing with enemy hardware without proper study could lead to unintended consequences.
-Honestly surprised Green and Black aren't here yet, not even as civilians. This would technically make Dino Fury the season with a "traditional" team number that takes the most episodes to actually complete the team.
-The T-Rex Champion Zord looks cool. Do wish Ryusoulger had opted for a different dinosaur for the Red Ranger, though.

Overall, an enjoyable episode. I'm curious to see how Void Knight's plan is carried out through the rest of the season.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Dino Fury "Sporix Unleashed"

Beast Morphers had a very promising premiere and quickly devolved the following week into the franchise's typical preschool nonsense. Did the same thing happen to Dino Fury?

Yes, and no. Yes, it's back to toddler morality, but the show itself and the characters themselves seem less annoying than usual. The writing and dialogue is a step down from last week, but I still think the voice actors for the monsters we saw don't suck in the quiet parts. And the fact that the monsters are permitted more nuanced performances outside of battle scenes is a very good.

I also want to point out that even though the episode disappointed me, it started off on a high note with the Rangers having to train to memorize their Morphing sequence. I love that. All of the other incarnations either made the in sync recitation of the oaths automatic, or with only one or two slips to begin with. I love that these Rangers are given the proper training for it real-world people would actually need.

I also think the T-Rex Zord looks pretty neat. I am an admitted kiddie TV snob when it comes to judging quality. But I am not freaking made of stone.

Retractable antennae are a very mundane solution to the Red Ranger being able to blend in with humans, which means it's the right one.

I had somewhat high hopes after last week. They clearly won't be met. But I still don't think this show will wind up the hot mess Ninja Steel and Beast Morphers were. We'll see. ***.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
They clearly won't be met. But I still don't think this show will wind up the hot mess Ninja Steel and Beast Morphers were.
The obvious step-ups from Beast Morphers? The background music isn't as overbearing.
The obvious step-ups from both of those seasons? No comic-relief duos although they seemed to have opted that dynamic for the two human rangers.

There's too much going on for a theme as straightforward as Dinosaurs and Knights.
Ninja Steel was at least wacky by design for the writers to adapt that the way they did.
The slime mushroom-head who is a recurring villain in the original just randomly wound up as this random knight's sidekick after he lost his other sidekick. I'm sure they'll delve into the backstory of still unexplained costumed characters and definitely needed when they chose to make this knight the de-facto main boss.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Description for episode 4, "New Recruits", which premieres on March 20th.

Void Knight's new general, Boomtower, tries to steal a mysterious Orb from the city museum. When the Rangers struggle to stop him, they get help from an unexpected source...

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Episode 5: Winning Attitude (3/27)

Izzy is determined to win a big race with the help of her Special Olympics athlete cousin, Lily. After Lily misses a training session and Izzy rejects more help, her sportsmanship is put to the test.

veemonjosh

pr_df_ep3.jpg

Episode 3 - "Lost Signal"
Air Date: March 6th, 2021

The Rangers intercept a mysterious message from outer space and Zayto is desperate to know if it was sent from his home planet. Unable to decipher it and losing hope, he remembers another important message from the past.

No episode next week due to Kids Choice Awards related programming.

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Oh, I wish they wouldn't put the swords in front of them while doing the hilt chomp motion. It does not look right.

Decent enough episode. Assorted thoughts:

-We've never gotten a comedic duo with two female characters, so that's different at least. Would be funny if Jane actually did develop psychic powers down the line.
-Solon's suit really is detailed.
-Nice footage showing Vypeera growing in front of (or behind) the American actors.
-Ollie, you seem way too happy to crush hopes and dreams in this episode. Also, I felt secondhand discomfort from that stunt you pulled with Amelia in front of the "psychic."
-Void Knight showing up just to get clowned on feels right. The whole Sporix hunt reminds me of Lilo & Stitch: The Series and the characters searching for the Experiments, except the characters in this show want to keep them in their "capsule" form.
-I like how they reformed concrete to basically make a solid censor bar over Vypeera's eyes.

See you all in two weeks.

EDIT: I forgot, this episode was apparently directed by Chris Graham, who played Leanbow in Mystic Force.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Dino Fury "Lost Signal"

That was bland and dumb, but it's blandness and dumbness didn't actually wind up offending me, so I'll call that a win.

I'll tell you what I liked: Ollie proving the b.s. psychic was a fraud the way he did. But in reality, if she were any sort of real conwoman she would have immediately seen that bluff for what it was. That's how cold reading works in the first place. Ollie's deception was NOT subtle. That's something a fake psychic would automatically notice.

Dear me, expecting real-world human reactions from characters in Power Rangers? What has gotten into me? ***1/2.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I'm just going back and forth between this show and the original sentai. By now, the green and black rangers join the fray. I'm hoping the next episode has them, since that would be a lot of unused Power Rangers/Zord footage and I have no idea if they're going to even include the bit where the Megazord plays rock-paper-scissors with the giant monster. Hopefully, they have time to offer up some clarity on the villains because the 5th episode seems almost impossible to change the context of its footage.
Back to this episode, flipping the script on how this Medusa monster freezes other citizens was rather creative as much as I still prefer the size-changing route. From that height, more people saw it and the people that were further away from its eyes reach became immobilized through breaking news reporting.
Dear me, expecting real-world human reactions from characters in Power Rangers?
Speaking of, I was thrown off by the android exhibiting said reactions.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Episode 6: Superstition Strikes (April 3rd)

Amelia thinks she's cursed with bad luck and is reluctant to help the Rangers, afraid she'll cause more harm. But when monsters attack the base, she learns the truth about luck...

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Episode 7: Stego Search (April 10th)
The Warden takes away Javi's keytar, putting him in a bad mood, which he refuses to explain to the team. Javi is forced to open up about his problems in order to find his Zord.

Theagames10

The Dino Fury Power Rangers is adding a (FEMALE) green and regular black ranger!!!

Watch the updated opening sequence for the season and don't miss Chance Perez's debut as the new black ranger in "Power Rangers Dino Fury"!!!

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The Dino Fury Power Rangers is adding a (FEMALE) green and regular black ranger!!!

Watch the updated opening sequence for the season and don't miss Chance Perez's debut as the new black ranger in "Power Rangers Dino Fury"!!!

Technically, Izzy isn't the first female Green Ranger if you count Camille from Jungle Fury.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts