Marvel Animated Direct to Video Movies - What would you like to see?

D

DalekSavior

It would be great if Marvel produced animated movies like the DC animated movies. The only good ones I can think of is The Ultimates and Planet Hulk. Marvel has tons of material that would translate well into animation (or produce original stories).

Here are some storylines I would like to see in animated form:

Civil War: Not really my favorite Marvel event but I can imagine the fights between Captain America and Iron Man would be awesome!

Kurt Busiek's Marvels: I really love that book. Since it's about a fictional New York journalist recounting the history of the Marvel Universe, I imagine as a two-part film. It would be difficult for the art style to resemble Alex Ross, but I believe with the right animation studio it can be done well.

The Galactus Trilogy: It involves the Fantastic Four's first encounter with Galactus and the Silver Surfer. I was having a conversion with my brother once, saying if I ever had a chance to redo the Fantastic Four movies, I will have them fighting Galactus in the middle of New York City, just as it happened in the comics.

Secret Invasion: The story was already adapted in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but I want to see it in its full epic scale from the original comics. Also, I really want to hear Nick Fury say "My God has a hammer."

There are some more stories I want to see as animated OVAs, but I can't name them all. Even if they don't do direct adaptations, like I said, original stories would be great too. DC has been doing a great job with their animated movies, why not Marvel?

Last edited by a moderator:

RoryWilliams

Marvel's doing animated movies, just not as many as WB/DC. There is a Black Widow/Punisher team-up film in the works.

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
Captain America is overdue for a solo animated DTV of his own, having previously only been featured in the ensemble Ultimate Avengers DTVs.

satam55

Does anyone know if Marvel would have the rights to DTV animated movies that are Spider-Man, X-Men/Mutants, or Fantastic Four related? Or do Sony and 20th Century Fox also have the rights to those?

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Does anyone know if Marvel would have the rights to DTV animated movies that are Spider-Man, X-Men/Mutants, or Fantastic Four related? Or do Sony and 20th Century Fox also have the rights to those?

Marvel can do what they want with X-Men and Fantastic Four. They can't work with Spider-Man for DTVs.

the greenman

Marvel can do what they want with X-Men and Fantastic Four. They can't work with Spider-Man for DTVs.

The same goes for Ghost Rider I believe. I think the only thing that sucks about that is MARVEL can't use Mephisto or Blackheart in animation either.

Anyway, all I wanted for years already is a dark and serious Daredevil animation film or show. If we go film route I would love Phil Barrousa as designer, Joaquin Dos Santos directing and an adaptation of Born Again. David Caruso voices Matt, J. Dimaggio as Foggy, and Powers Boothe as Kingpin. Besides altering the story alot, just dropping Page altogether helps. Tweaking some of the religious visual themes a little, I want to see this as bad as Teen Titans Judas Contract, but alas...

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I thought Marvel owned the animation rights to Spider-Man outright. There is nothing to prevent them from releasing a DTDVD Spider-Man if they wished to.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I thought Marvel owned the animation rights to Spider-Man outright. There is nothing to prevent them from releasing a DTDVD Spider-Man if they wished to.

I think they only own the rights to use Spidey in television. A DTV would technically fall under the "film rights" umbrella, leaving them unable to use him for those.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I would love to see a good Fantastic Four DVD film that involved Galactus and/or the Kree. And maybe add in Franklin Richards, since he never gets to appear anywhere.

Like some others have said, I would like to see Civil War get adapted. Or heck, even AvX.

Meanwhile, for spectacle, I would like to see Marve adapt any one of the big cosmic arcs, I don't care which; Secret Wars, Annihilation, Infinity Crisis, Thanos Imperative, etc.

satam55

Seeing what DC/Warner Bros. is doing with their critically acclaimed DTV animated movies, It's ridiculous that Marvel doesn't have more plans for DTV animated movies other than that "Iron Man & Hulk" Marvel Cinematic Universe tie-in movie.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Marvel have always owned the animation rights to X-Men. Even after the first X-Men movie was released, Fox had nothing to do with X-Men: Evolution.

The same goes for Fantastic Four. This is why Wolverine was available for Hulk Vs and why the FF were able to star in Superhero Squad and The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes cartoon.

Rabbitearsblog

I would like to see Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men be animated, although I'm not sure if Marvel still has the rights to X-Men as far as animated movies goes.

Marvel have always owned the animation rights to X-Men. Even after the first X-Men movie was released, Fox had nothing to do with X-Men: Evolution.

The same goes for Fantastic Four. This is why Wolverine was available for Hulk Vs and why the FF were able to star in Superhero Squad and The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes cartoon.
But again, we're talking Direct to DVD movies, not television animation. The FF appeared in A:EMH, but so did Spider-Man.

Infinite-bit

Avengers: Initiative

Young Avengers

Runaways

Daughters of the Dragon

Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu

Heroes for hire

Daredevil: Visionaries

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
But again, we're talking Direct to DVD movies, not television animation. The FF appeared in A:EMH, but so did Spider-Man.

The rights, when concerning the DTVs, always seem to be tricky. Marvel has seemed to have the tv rights to the X-Men, FF and the Surfer for an eternity but they still needed to blackout or omit all of the characters that might have otherwise had cameos in Planet Hulk. The only way they seemed to get away with Wolverine in Hulk Vs was by creating it as a short form feature (which was something they planned to do with the Ultimate X-Men previously). Even in Next Avengers, images of the queen who would have been Storm had to be obscured. I wish we could see them make some sort of arrangement with the respective companies but who knows if that will ever happen.

Everytime I see that Sony is some how involved with the Marvel Anime stuff (might just be distribution), it just makes me wish something could be done to get a mature Spider-Man feature out there. Now that Daredevil is apparently back home though, the idea of possibly seeing DD battling Hand ninjas across the rooftops of a fully detailed Hell's Kitchen someday has really got my mind going.

dumbfoolkid5

Only two comes to mind: Avengers vs the X men, Wolverine anime style, and The Superior Spider-Man, same style. Please make it happen.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using toonzone. And I'm a loner at heart.

Medinnus

Staff member
* Wedding of Reed and Sue Richards.
* Mar-Vell vs. Thanos in the Cosmic Cube Saga
* Captain America VS 1950's Cap
* Iron Man - Demon in a Bottle
* AEMH - Surtur Saga
* Daredevil - Electra Saga

bigdaddy313

Wolverine enemy of the state two part movies

Daredevil origins

Old man Logan

World War Hulk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts