Justice League "Comfort and Joy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Post Your Comments on "Comfort and Joy"

Votes: 58 37.4%
  • **** 1/2

Votes: 35 22.6%

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • *** 1/2

Votes: 11 7.1%

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ** 1/2

Votes: 3 1.9%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • * 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/2

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Christmas, Schmismas. I've enjoyed rotten eggnog more than this...

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Cartoon Network will air the first single-episode of Justice League history. Airing tonight at 10pm (ET), the next half hour that's usually occupied by second JL ep, will instead be housing "Holiday Knights", the TNBA Christmas Episode. Check your local listings.

Episode #47 - Comfort and Joy
Original Airdate - December 13th, 2003

After saving a distant planet, the Justice League returns to Earth just in time for Christmas Eve. While Flash plays Santa for some orphans, Superman invites J'onn home to celebrate the holidays in Smallville. Meanwhile, Green Lantern and Hawkgirl share their favorite holiday traditions with each other.

Comments?

Metallo

An amusing episode - I gave it 4 stars.

The snowball fight between Hawkgirl and Green Lantern was especially humourous, as was the fact that the Kents still wrap all of their gifts in lead foil. :) And Hawkgirl pointing at GL after hitting the big alien with her mace was priceless!

Anyone notice that Kara went skiing with a certain Barbara [Gordon]..?

Anarky

Team Conan
great ep
hawkgirl's idea of a good time is a bar brawl. that's so thanagarian!
j'onn stealing oreos :D
batman begging for monitor duty!
lead xmas wrapping!
j'onn singing in martian (i'm guessing)

is it me or did i see "Swamp Thing" and the head of Edward G. Robinson (ya see, nyeah!)

nice snow fight too
as a brick now living in the dirty south, i miss snow. isn't quite xmas w/o it.
4.5 stars

funny side story w/ humanite and flash. teddy ruxpin anyone?

Darkseid

Hey, that was cute. I liked it.

Yay:

- John uses his ring in a creative way! Numerous times! Awesome.
- And in general, the snowball fight? Hilarious.
- Barfight was pretty funny too. In general, John/Hawkgirl stuff was very sweet.
- Flash's quest for DJ Rubber Ducky was fun, and I really liked seeing all those people speak nicely about Flash, like the orphanage kids and the Japanese toymaker. People know he's not just a slacker. I dig that.
- The stuff with J'onn on the streets of Smallville was really sweet.
- Hey, Kara/Barbara throwaway reference. And the line about Batman begging for guard duty rings all too true. Poor Bruce. Go home and call Selina for some yuletide lovin'.
- And in general, I'm glad to see the true persona of Clark Kent come out on JL. As he said, he's being himself. Cool.

Nay:

- I don't buy for a second that Flash would accept being shot just because of the crushed toy. Hopefully he was waiting for the sound of the trigger before beating Ultra-Humanite down. Otherwise that's pretty weak.
- Are we supposed to believe that Clark still believes in Santa? I can't buy into that, unless Clark knows something we don't...
- If I were those kids, I would've rioted. Screw you, Humanite!

Yay. Go Paul Dini. A quiet episode that's perfect for the holidays, but I find it pretty hard to believe that this was supposed to run BEFORE Wild Card... John and Hawkgirl are just too... couply.

Mek

Digestive Juices
Well, I thought it was a very tender episode. :)

I honestly got weepy near the end, LOL. :sweat: Sure, there are some little qualms I have with it, but the over all good feeling I got from this made up for 'em. This is now my 4th favorite Holiday-related cartoon (the other three being 'A Charlie Brown Christmas', the Garfield Christmas Special and 'The Star of Christmas') for sure. :)

4/5 stars

Crimson

Weirdo From Another Planet
A good episode, and better than I anticipated; it was also mercifully less full of schmaltz than I expected.

Four stars.

Anarky

Team Conan
Metallo said:
An amusing episode - I gave it 4 stars.

The snowball fight between Hawkgirl and Green Lantern was especially humourous, as was the fact that the Kents still wrap all of their gifts in lead foil. :) And Hawkgirl pointing at GL after hitting the big alien with her mace was priceless!

Anyone notice that Kara went skiing with a certain Barbara [Gordon]..?

forgot to add that. thick as thieves they are.

and for cat owners out there, that must've been a laugh riot.

tphile

This could have been a great JL episode if ALL the JL members where shown.
We saw no scene for Wonder Woman and mentioning Batman on Monitor duty just does NOT cut it.
They could have at the very least, used two seconds to show Wonder Woman
giving Batman a christmas gift at the Watchtower.
Or holding a piece of mistletoe, cups of eggnog
A lump of coal in your stocking, Dini

Mek

Digestive Juices
Anarky said:
and for cat owners out there, that must've been a laugh riot.

Y'see, I genuinley laughed when the Kent's kitty hissed at J'onn. Why? because nearly every cat has that same reaction to me, even if I don't go near 'em. :p

cysurf

Guy who washes Superman's cape
I believe that was Streaky the Supercat J'onn was holding. And I guess his Oreo obsession begins.

MattL.

Most adorable episode EVER!

I totally loved it, and as a Superman fan seeing Clark act like a kid about Christmas was great and having him take J'Onn with him to Smallville was a perfect present.

Paul Dini, thank you! Thank you very much. Oh, and Merry Christmas. :)

P.S. Oreos rule!

Crinos

Sexy Mustard
excellent episode

The fact they worked the humanite in was enough for me.

Now we know more about animated humanites motivated: He's a culture freak. :)

The entire episode reeked of sweetness, I love it.

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
That was nice. I don't know why people seemed so freaked out about it (it was as if they thought it would be like FLCL). I don't have any complaints really; this episode felt more like Christmas than the PPG movie "Twas The Fight Before Christmas". I especially enjoyed the bar fight (way better than the snow fight), Flash's entire story (yes, it was better than the poopy sound), and The Kent's special way of wrapping Clark's presents. Four stars leaning on four and a half.

P.S.: Justice League currently has 221 votes at the DVD Toons poll (I voted for Batman thus giving him 598 votes and the title of first place).

Anarky

Team Conan
- Are we supposed to believe that Clark still believes in Santa? I can't buy into that, unless Clark knows something we don't...

Clark was merely humoring his parents, to give J'onn the standard xmas experience. Remember, J'onn is still naive to the ways of man. Clark simply wanted to give J'onn the fabled xmas experience, twas his first you know.

ndyjones

Brobdingnagian distaste
Um, yeah that was....
For a minute there I thought they were going to Make Flash as cool as he needs to be and able to defeat as villian by himself, but then they were like PSYCH! Flash is dumb! Fooled You!

Then like I was totally second Guessing the HG/GL thing, cause it was my impression that homicidal didn't really go over well with guys. Eh maybe I've been apporaching the problem wrong all this time.

Anyway, uh, Clark is dumb. Flash is dumb. GL should not be in a relationship with HG is she's always that psycho, and Ultrahumanite reprogramming the duck was partially creepy, dumb and humorous.

Oooohhh and BTW, who the HELL was over Kara's Bed? Roommate was arguing NKOTB, I thought it might be someone a little closer to home, (like production crew) But I forget the crew's faces.

JL teaches me Christmas is Dumb.

Fernus

Abraham Sapien
First off, this is one of the best episodes for an MM fan!

When we saw the stuffed animals in Supergirl's room, the red one with the black hair and antennea was J'onn' first SIDEKICK, Zook! That was a very nice surprise! Did not expect that in the least!

The Oreos, of course, were awsome. He acted just like he did in the comics. I foresee an addiction coming from this.

Even though he wasn't named, it was nice to see John Jones in the animated series (looked different from the JL Adventures #2 and #20) Hope to see him again next season.

Martian language at the end, was pulled over bery nicely, especially to see the cat in his lap (as apposed to the way it reacted to him the first time)

As for Hawkgirl and Green Lantner, at first it was nerving to see John so relaxed and carefree. Snowboarding, snowmen, snow angels, etc. But, I got used to it quickly, and laughed uncontrolably at the alien dance club scenes, especially when Hawkgirl started the fight, and blamed it on Green Lantern.

The DJ Rubber Duckie made life even more funny, the noise it originally made. We got a closer look into Ultra Humanite, much better than season one. We still don't know about his past, but his character was brought out much better than "Injustice For All".

It made sense that Flash would get along with little kids, considering he acts like one.

Overall: Five stars.

Anarky

Team Conan
Crinos said:
The fact they worked the humanite in was enough for me.

Now we know more about animated humanites motivated: He's a culture freak. :)

The entire episode reeked of sweetness, I love it.

yes, Humanite is the "Sideshow Bob" of the DCAU.
I wonder how Kelsey Grammer would sound as a 7' albino gorilla?

Metallo

Dr. Destiny said:
First off, this is one of the best episodes for an MM fan!

When we saw the stuffed animals in Supergirl's room, the red one with the black hair and antennea was J'onn' first SIDEKICK, Zook! That was a very nice surprise! Did not expect that in the least!

Damn that was a good catch! I just looked back and saw a picture of Zook! Talk about the surprise cameo!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts