Intriguing info about AS standards...

Sheamon

Lost in the Undertow
The following is a quote from someone who was able to visit CN's Headquarters in Atlanta. Got some interesting info, including news on 'Rejected', which should be the first TV-MA show on AS. :)

CN originally planned to run Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho completely
uncensored. However, this decision was made before the Bureau of Standards and
Practices got involved (aka BS&P (what an ironic acronym)). The problem with
Adult Swim, and the biggest reason it's not allowed to thrive the way
programming wants it to, is the BS&P has Cartoon Network labeled as a
children's network. This is due to the majority of the programming being able
to be viewed by children, even though Cartoon Network is a cable network and
thus not bound by the Children's Programming Act. So when the BS&P decides to
get involved with Adult Swim, they take the youth viewing audience into
consideration, and thus CB and YYH had to be edited. The people at programming
gave into these demands, and really, AS wasn't hit TOO hard, but there were
still some edits made that were utterly ridiculous (covering Faye's cleavage,
the invisible man, etc.).

In the early days of Adult Swim, the BS&P were really getting their way the
whole time. Pretty much every decision fell into their hands and they came out
winning in the end. Eltingville and Saddle Rash both had to be cleaned up a
little but neither show really minded. But along came a man named Don
Hertzfeldt and his short "Rejected." This was supposed to run uncensored too,
until BS&P had a problem with one of the scenes (a character says "Sweet
Jesus"). Don refused to let his Academy Award nominated short be edited, and
finally after months of fighting, Don came out the victor, and "Rejected" will
soon be the first program on CN to be rated TV-MA (current decision on the
rating).

The same thing happened to "Mission Hill" recently. MH ran just fine on the WB
Network because the BS&P has WB labeled as an adult network. That didn't cut it
on CN at first, and MH got delayed while more arguments between programming and
BS&P took place. Once again, BS&P gave into their demands. In exchange, Mission
Hill's rating TV-14 will be present throughout the whole show for the first 2
weeks.

The people at programming are hoping that the BS&P will soon change CN's status
of being a children's network specifically for Adult Swim.

I guess this pretty much clears up the questions about Rejected and Mission Hill :p

For more info, check out the rec.arts.anime.misc newsgroup and check out the 'My Experience at CN' thread. Got some interesting stuff here :)

stanteau

This opens up chances for a possible run of Berserk and other titles.

Mr. Obsession

Originally posted by stanteau
The last two episodes of Berserk would make any editors head explode. :D

But if they can get CN reclassified, I'd say someday, maybe. Of course I'd only want it on AS if a second season gets made. I hate it when a show ends without a conclusion.

This also opens up the question of if we’ll ever get Yu Yu and CB shown uncut. Man uncut CB on CN. Now that would make some Otaku out there do a spittake. :D

stanteau

Why am I the only one who loves the ending?And yes,I've read all 22 manga volumes but I've always loved dark endings.

The last 2 episodes would be a severe problem,only way I could see it would be to keep the TVMA in the corner and have warnings between every commercial break.

livingfruitvirus

No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
BTW Sheamon, that person who visited CN was me. That was my post ya big goofy!! :p

BTW, the TV-MA is the rating it's being aimed at. It can still be subject to change.

Zechs

Rabbit in a box
Originally posted by Chibi Kageboshi
is there anyway cartoon network could move from children to say.. teen?
I doubt it with animtion sitll being thought of as for kids it won't happen soon. The only way we can more adult animation is to have a non cable nerwork for adult toons and even then parents would try to it get shut down.

Zero Angel

Don't Mind the Insanity...
I'm sorry...

Originally posted by stanteau

ok...i know i may be going out on a limb here but...do you have a concept of american tv? Berserk would never survive on tv let alone CN, i dont care if it is AS or not. i dont want to be pesimistic here but you seem to think that most material can be hacked to peices just to fit into the slot that is CN and still be good. now im not saying that it cant be...but what i am saying is shows like Berserk are going to have to wait a long time before they can be aired on tv, let alone CN.

yes i have seen Berserk. yes i am excited about the second season in development. and yes i am eagerly awaiting the release of the manga over here. my point in all this is...the final episode couldnt be shown...the first episode couldnt be shown...the second and third episode couldnt be shown...ah hell. the entire series couldnt be shown...

Beat

Retired
This is incredibly intriguing.

If I'm correct, the only way to re-label the network is to show more adult content, and market to an older audience. It's time for our secret weapon that will make the CN TV-MA forever.

An uncensored run ofNeon Genesis Envangelion!

Beat

Retired
J/K. At this time, I would like to turn the floor to the Admins, and ask their opinion.

The Drizzle

BARRY! =(
I'm no admin, just late to the party. If it would get CN to run shows unedited, would you allow the rating to be on screen the whole time (like Mission Hill)? I certainly would. :p

One more thing, was there nudity on MH last night? If there was........ :mad:

Jude Santos

berserk on AS? yeah right. the show contains more blood than a blood bank can hold and the violence is worse than the texas chainsaw massacre

Wilco911

Kaijudo Mi! Kaijudo Yu!
You know, since they showed the two men kissing and talking about having sex with each other in MH...are they now going to be able to restore the 'invisible man' in Cowboy Bebop if they want to?

Mecha Washu

Rei's "Dummy Plug"
I totaly love NGE but even I don't think NGE could totaly change cartoon network from a kids network to a teen to adult aimed one. Despite how wonderful and thought provoking NGE is, it still only fills one 30 minute time slot aginst all the other children aimed cartoons, so its a battle that just one show can't win :( (This situation seems familiar to Shinji fighting aginst the mass-production EVA's in EoE).

Rei

Playing BG&E
They probably could but would probably need TV-14 in the corner the whole time and I doubt they wanna go back to restore a 15 second scene anyways. Besides the invisible man is like a legend of edits up there with Gene's invisible blood.

Zero Angel

Don't Mind the Insanity...
And that is...

Originally posted by Mecha Washu
I totaly love NGE but even I don't think NGE could totaly change cartoon network from a kids network to a teen to adult aimed one. Despite how wonderful and thought provoking NGE is, it still only fills one 30 minute time slot aginst all the other children aimed cartoons, so its a battle that just one show can't win :( (This situation seems familiar to Shinji fighting aginst the mass-production EVA's in EoE).

and you mean Asuka...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts