"Gargoyles (Dynamite Comics Releases)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Dynamite Entertainment has announced it will publish a whole new season of Gargoyles comics, coming later this year! Check out the press details below!

New Disney Gargoyles Comics Coming Soon From Dynamite!

June 22, Mt. Laurel, NJ:
Dynamite announces an exciting volley of comic book series including graphic novels, facsimile reprints, and more featuring the beloved Disney Television Animation series Gargoyles starting later this year, and more news to come.

Gargoyles fans will be thrilled to hear that franchise creator Greg Weisman is officially signed on to write and shepherd the new stories to be published as periodical comics and graphic novels. The original tales will be authentic to the original storylines, serving as a "new season" for fans to enjoy, while being perfectly approachable for newcomers to this awesome world.

On that note, those back issues of Gargoyles are highly sought after by fans, with many hard to track down or going for premiums in the market. Dynamite will be helping fans seeking out these stories and bringing them to a new audience by releasing key issues again as facsimile editions at an affordable price for select issues. In addition to that, for fans who have wanted to read the entire run, the stories will then be remastered and compiled into paperback volumes to present the full stories for the shelf. Creators involved with these comics include Amanda Conner, Joe Madureira, Jimmy Palmiotti, Martin Pasko, Grant Miehm, and Mort Todd. The new comics, facsimiles, and graphic novels are scheduled to be released in the fourth quarter of 2022.

XGargoyles1Cover.jpg
XGargoyles1P04.jpg
XGargoyles1P10.jpg

Gargoyles stars a cast of the eponymous stone creatures who patrol New York City as night-time guardians. Acclaimed for its serious tone, complex arcs, and themes, the show ran for multiple seasons from 1994 to 1997. Greg Weisman served as a chief creator and driver of the series, and later continued the story of the show in comics.

Further details on release scheduling, creative teams, and more properties to be announced soon, as Dynamite and Disney strive to bring fans the best stories and experiences.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Related Discussion:

-The World's Finest Gargoyles Special Subsite
-Gargoyles General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles: Season Two, Volume Two DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles: Season Two, Volume One DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles: The Complete First Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles #1-11 Classic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles #1-12 "Clan Building" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles: Bad Guys #1-6 Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles "Awakening" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Thread updated. This thread will now cover all Gargoyles-related releases from Dynamite Comics, not just new material.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'd be happier with a full continuation or spin-off, but I'm just very glad we're getting some new Gargoyles content after so long. I hope to see Christopher Jones working on this series as well.

Also, here's hoping they collect the SLG comics.

Dragnatek

I can't wait. I have all the individual issues of the SLG comic along with the Bad Guys GN. I hope this lasts longer then that and has a more consistent release schedule. And consistent art work.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Looking forward to the new stuff and hope the Disney Afternoon stuff is or will be included in reprints.

At any rate, the SLG and Marvel stuff I'm getting well for supporting the property, and for the stuff I have:

1. My brother got the SLG stuff from the single issues, but uninterested in double dipping. I'll probably give him the older trades.

2. The Marvel stuff, I'll see if he wants them too or give to the library store.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I don't think he likes the stories of the Marvel comic that much. No he did not work on it.
However, had it gone on further, he was going to take over, thus his run would at least be such.

Issue 6 of the SLG comic which had a flashback to an untold Avalon World Tour story was planned for his scrapped Marvel run.

Had it been published back then it would be set entirely Pre-Hunter's Moon without the present day framing.

Freddy

This is really cool! I have been watching through the original Gargoyles series for the first time (the DVDs never got Region 2 releases and the show was only relatively recently added to the Finnish Disney+, which is why I'm so late to the game) and it's grazy how well it holds up. Besides stuff like the phones people have or some of the characters having those "early 90's Rob Liefeld comic" inspired designs (although, to be fair, better drawn) the show doesn't feel all that dated and it has become one of my all-time favorite animated shows. It's fun to know that even after I'm done with the show and the previous comics, there's more to look forward to.

Spider-Man

Out of all the SDCC news from this year, this was the most exciting to hear! I'm glad that we'll get some new Gargoyles comics. I enjoyed the ones from SLG as rough as they were and it'll be great to hopefully get some real trade paperback collections of the Marvel and SLG books!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Dynamite Entertainment has released a first look at the main and variant covers for their upcoming Gargoyles #1, coming in December. Click on the thumbnails below for a closer look at each cover and proceed below for press details.

Press release:
September 14, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Dynamite Entertainment is proud to present six spectacular covers that will lead the charge on the hotly anticipated return to comics of Disney’s Gargoyles!

Announced to great reception alongside San Diego Comic Con, the Gargoyles are back in action in their nightly New York City heroics in a new series this December. Franchise creator Greg Weisman returns to the characters as writer, with a saga that will be both perfect for newcomers to jump right into, and immensely rewarding for longtime diehard fans. More details on the storyline and creative team of the series is coming soon, but all parties involved wanted to shine a spotlight on these stunning pieces of art and the names behind them set to grace the covers of the title.

At the helm for the standard “A” cover is an action-packed piece by fan-favorite David Nakayama. He was a natural fit given his signature style straddling a modern comics look with elements pulled from Saturday morning cartoons and action figure packaging. Not only is he one of the top names in comics covers, but he’s also lauded for his illustrations for Hasbro’s Marvel Legends line of figures. His cover depicts nearly the whole cast, including Goliath, Angela, Broadway, Lexington, and more. His cover will also be featured as the cover for Diamond Comics Distributors’ September for December Previews catalog.

In addition to Greg Weisman returning to write the series, another exciting reunion is superstar artist Amanda Conner. The DC, Marvel, and Vampirella legend started her illustrious career doing many licensed and all-ages titles at Marvel in the 1990s including Barbie, and as the interiors and cover artist for the 1995 Gargoyles series. Now she’s back with a cover featuring all the key cast including their human ally Elisa. Dynamite is set to begin releasing facsimile reprints and collected graphic novels of that series soon, with more details to come.

Legendary painter and Dynamite powerhouse Lucio Parrillo brings his Italian mastery to another iconic piece, as he portrays Goliath as fans have never seen before. With his brushstrokes and prowess of anatomy, Goliath has never looked more imposing and powerful, as each muscle and vein bulges from his strength.

Lesley “Leirix” Li is one of the industry’s biggest talents today, and her portrayals of strong and beautiful women attract fans and collectors in droves. Angela is one of the most important characters in the Gargoyles pantheon, and she deserved a standalone cover for her dedicated fans. Leirix was the perfect choice!

The Gargoyles are of course gargoyles, and that gothic influence permeates their designs and tales. Editor Nate Cosby and the team at Dynamite wanted to capture that mood and DNA in some of the artwork for this launch, and a longtime collaborator was the ideal match. Jae Lee is known for his moody visuals and his style captures this gargoyles aspect wonderfully.

Last but certainly not least, the Gargoyles gang has their own “dog” in Bronx who has always been a fan-favorite. Who better to give him center stage on a cover than Tony Fleecs, the top talent known for his hit Stray Dogs series and work with My Little Pony?

Gargoyles #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ October 2022 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in December 2022. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Spider-Man

I just read this'll be in the December Previews catalogue so I imagine we'll be getting more details soon. My only concern is some folks will be lost if this picks up from the SLG Comic series which today is hard to come by. I wonder if Dynamite will be pumping out trades of the older stuff really quick.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Dynamite Comics released additional artwork and press details for the upcoming Gargoyles comic series. Continue below for the artwork and details:

DISNEY'S GARGOYLES AWAKEN FROM STONE & RETURN TO COMICS

Disney's beloved Gargoyles are returning to comics once more this December as the perfect holiday season gift to fans all over, and to kick right into the new year. Creator and preeminent driver of the characters Greg Weisman (Young Justice) returns to chronicle the latest adventures of everyone's favorite nocturnal New York City protectors.

"I literally can't articulate how thrilled I am to be writing Gargoyles stories again, both for returning fans and newcomers," said Greg Weisman. "It's just a joy to be exploring a world populated by Goliath, the entire Manhattan Clan, all their friends, and every single one of their enemies. I've been wanting to get back to these characters for some time now and having this opportunity rocks! (Pun intended)."

Debuting with its first issue December 7, fans new and old can tune into Gargoyles stories on the comic book page that are fully in continuity with the acclaimed classic television series. One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled in the old world and the "Age of Gargoyles." By day, these beings were solid stone, but came alive at night as powerful warriors. At least until they were betrayed by the humans they had sworn to protect - frozen in stone by a spell for a thousand years. Until today in modern Manhattan, they have risen again to become Defenders of the Night!

Greg Weisman is joined by Greek maestro illustrator George Kambadais in reintroducing the Manhattan Clan to today's fans. Whether one has binged the entire show multiple times, read all the comics, or has never even heard of Gargoyles, this series will be the perfect jumping on point to hang out with these beloved characters. The whole crew including Goliath, Demona, Angela, Elisa, Brooklym, Broadway, Lexington, Bronx, and a couple fresh faces, have begun to go their own ways when the series starts. Several new characters will be making their first ever appearances in this series! But their bonds will be tested when nefarious factions from across Manhattan attempt to disrupt the peace and harmony of the city, calling the Clan back together once more!

"I still remember waking up all excited, flustered even, every Saturday and Sunday morning to catch the next episodes," said artist George Kambadais. "I just loved them. Goliath was the coolest dude and the rest of the clan were SO... MUCH... FUN."

Kambadais was the perfect match for this new series and hand selected with creator Greg Weisman. Comics fans may recognize his work from John Carter of Mars, The Flash, and Firefly, among others. His energetic style strikes a perfect balance between evoking the animation origins of Gargoyles, with a modern comics approach.

Weisman and Kambadais - who is also coloring his art - are joined by letterer Jeff Eckleberry. The squad is rounded out with jaw dropping covers from some of the biggest names in comics and a returning Gargoyles favorite too! Superstars David Nakayama, Lucio Parrillo, Lesley "Leirix" Li, Jae Lee, Tony Fleecs, and Gargoyles alumnus Amanda Conner all contribute variants for this epic launch event!

"Gargoyles was a huge influence on me," shared editor Nate Cosby. "It's incredible that I get to help tell new stories about these characters that I love, written by the person that created them. Maintaining Greg's vision of this world is a responsibility and an honor that I take seriously. New readers and longtime fans are going to be absolutely thrilled by what Greg, George and Jeff have in store."

Gargoyles #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' October 2022 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in December 2022. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Frontier

Staff member
Dynamite Comics released additional artwork and press details for the upcoming Gargoyles comic series. Continue below for the artwork and details:

DISNEY'S GARGOYLES AWAKEN FROM STONE & RETURN TO COMICS

Disney's beloved Gargoyles are returning to comics once more this December as the perfect holiday season gift to fans all over, and to kick right into the new year. Creator and preeminent driver of the characters Greg Weisman (Young Justice) returns to chronicle the latest adventures of everyone's favorite nocturnal New York City protectors.

"I literally can't articulate how thrilled I am to be writing Gargoyles stories again, both for returning fans and newcomers," said Greg Weisman. "It's just a joy to be exploring a world populated by Goliath, the entire Manhattan Clan, all their friends, and every single one of their enemies. I've been wanting to get back to these characters for some time now and having this opportunity rocks! (Pun intended)."

Debuting with its first issue December 7, fans new and old can tune into Gargoyles stories on the comic book page that are fully in continuity with the acclaimed classic television series. One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled in the old world and the "Age of Gargoyles." By day, these beings were solid stone, but came alive at night as powerful warriors. At least until they were betrayed by the humans they had sworn to protect - frozen in stone by a spell for a thousand years. Until today in modern Manhattan, they have risen again to become Defenders of the Night!

Greg Weisman is joined by Greek maestro illustrator George Kambadais in reintroducing the Manhattan Clan to today's fans. Whether one has binged the entire show multiple times, read all the comics, or has never even heard of Gargoyles, this series will be the perfect jumping on point to hang out with these beloved characters. The whole crew including Goliath, Demona, Angela, Elisa, Brooklym, Broadway, Lexington, Bronx, and a couple fresh faces, have begun to go their own ways when the series starts. Several new characters will be making their first ever appearances in this series! But their bonds will be tested when nefarious factions from across Manhattan attempt to disrupt the peace and harmony of the city, calling the Clan back together once more!

"I still remember waking up all excited, flustered even, every Saturday and Sunday morning to catch the next episodes," said artist George Kambadais. "I just loved them. Goliath was the coolest dude and the rest of the clan were SO... MUCH... FUN."

Kambadais was the perfect match for this new series and hand selected with creator Greg Weisman. Comics fans may recognize his work from John Carter of Mars, The Flash, and Firefly, among others. His energetic style strikes a perfect balance between evoking the animation origins of Gargoyles, with a modern comics approach.

Weisman and Kambadais - who is also coloring his art - are joined by letterer Jeff Eckleberry. The squad is rounded out with jaw dropping covers from some of the biggest names in comics and a returning Gargoyles favorite too! Superstars David Nakayama, Lucio Parrillo, Lesley "Leirix" Li, Jae Lee, Tony Fleecs, and Gargoyles alumnus Amanda Conner all contribute variants for this epic launch event!

"Gargoyles was a huge influence on me," shared editor Nate Cosby. "It's incredible that I get to help tell new stories about these characters that I love, written by the person that created them. Maintaining Greg's vision of this world is a responsibility and an honor that I take seriously. New readers and longtime fans are going to be absolutely thrilled by what Greg, George and Jeff have in store."

Gargoyles #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' October 2022 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in December 2022. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Art looks kind of brighter than I was expecting, but looks nice :).

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Solicitation details for the upcoming first issue of the new Gargoyles series from Dynamite are now available. Check them out below.

GARGOYLES #1

Written by GREG WEISMAN
Art by GEORGE KAMBADAIS
Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
Price: $3.99 US | 32 pages

All-new ongoing series, in continuity with the epic Gargoyles television classic!

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was The Age of Gargoyles. Stone by day, Warriors by night, they were betrayed by the humans they had sworn to protect...frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years. Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken, and they live again! They are Defenders of the Night! They are Gargoyles!

Series creator Greg Weisman and illustrator George Kambadais reintroduce the Manhattan Clan, a family of Gargoyles at full strength, though modern New York City is full of attractions and distractions, and each member of the clan has begun to go their own way. But their bonds will be tested, when nefarious factions from all across the world attempt to steal that rarest, most precious of possessions...an unhatched Gargoyle egg!

ON SALE 12/07/22

Click here for further information on the upcoming Gargoyles comic series, including a look at interior artwork, variant covers, and more.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts