"Gargoyles: The Complete First Season" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on the "Gargoyles: The First Season" DVD

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The first season of the acclaimed series makes its long-awaited debut on DVD! They live again!

GARGOYLES: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Synopsis: Experience all 13 thrilling episodes of GARGOYLES' first season in this spectacular 10th anniversary 2-disc DVD set, complete with exclusive bonus features. It's action-packed animation at its very best! For 1,000 years, a race of heroic creatures has been frozen in stone -- the victims of human betrayal. Now, with the magic spell broken, these amazing Gargoyles awaken from their slumber to find themselves transported from the moors of Scotland to the bustling metropolis of New York City. Follow each suspenseful episode to find out if this proud clan of winged warriors will seek revenge on the race that betrayed them.

Extras:
-Running audio commentary of the first five episodes by creator and producer Greg Weisman, co-producer Frank Paur, and actor David
-The Gathering of the Gargoyles Featurette
-Original show pitch

Comments?

Related Discussion:

-Gargoyles: The Complete First Season DVD Review (Spoilers)
-Gargoyles "Awakening" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

I rushed out to pick this up today and was happy to see so many stores carrying it! I noticed some stores even had only a few copies which tells me that I'm not the only one who has been waiting forever for this DVD!

GregX

First post here, hopefully first of many.

Yeah, I bought the DVD at my local FYE, and have three more coming in from Amazon soon. It's a great set well worth it. Already watched most of the episodes and "Awakening" with the audio commentary. Greg Weisman is a great guy, proud to call him my friend and am glad everyone gets to see what a great guy he is.

The Gathering featurette was awesome, I was one of the people on it. Specifically near the end, I was the one who gushed about Demona and compared her with villains of classic literature. After ten years of being a Demona Fan Boy, I get to appear on screen with her. It was great. My only complaint was they didn't show my friend Aaron's Demona tattoo (which he showed the cameras) that covers his chest.

But an A+. This DVD rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Welcome to Toon Zone GregX! I must say it's pretty cool to see you here after reading your posts at Ask Greg for quite awhile now.

As for the DVD set, I ordered mine from Amazon this morning (well, I guess it is yesterday morning now). It's great to hear that the picture quality is so good. I was amazed at how good the show looked on ABC Family compared to my tapes. The DVD should be just that much more better!

Moreso than the improved quality though, I'm really looking forward to seeing (or I guess hearing) the commentary. I previously bought one of the Starship Troopers: Roughnecks DVDs just to hear Greg Wesiman on the commentary. Finally, I will now be able to properly show Gargoyles to my fiance!

Deadly Messiah

Samurai Matt said:
Welcome to Toonzone!

Also, I dont have this DVD, but I was woundering, are seasons 3 and 4 going to be released?
You mean 2 and 3 right? I hope so, otherwise it is going to be a big disappointment. I think they should continue to release them in 13 episode volumes.

Space Lion

It's a lion!
I bought my Gargoyles DVD from Best Buy on Tuesday. Best Buy should get a point for actually having something I was looking for. That rarely happens, especially when I'm looking for specific animation titles. Their DVD selection still sucks, but I digress.

I watched the first episode of Awakening, and I was beaming for the entire time. It just looks so... good! And the sound is great; the stereo separation sounds a lot more 'detailed' than it was during the television run (or on the VHS tapes).

I haven't seen all of the episodes or extras yet, but I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this set.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
I have it, though I probably won't watch it until next week (school work comes first, then screeners). :(

madara

My sister tried pick it up for me at BB yesterday but no luck. They said no and had no idea what "gargoyles" was. Not good sign we'll be getting more season sets with low post count here and stuff like BB nonsense.
:sweat:

Deadly Messiah

Well, I just watched the first 2 episodes, and man did they bring back memories. While sometimes I do wish the music would just shut up for a moment, I am enjoying this series as if I'm watching it for the first time. I have not watched these episodes (well, except what is on the movie tape) in years. I even skipped watching the first season when ABC Family was airing it because I got sick of it before S2 started back in 95.

And wow, the stereo sound of Dolby Pro Logic sounds phenomenal. I mean it is really coming out of the left and right speakers, and even the music in the rear speakers.
Disney, Hurry up and bring out the remaining 65 episodes!! In this case, I won't mind having them done in 13 episode volumes.

Conekiller

On the Cruise!
I got it for my Birthday, and it rules!

I was tickled to watch the gathering feature and see people I KNEW!

Hell, the blonde girl with the tatoos onher shoulders that Says Gargoyles and it's community got her thru high school roomed with me and my buddies one night a few gatherings ago (she also hit it off decently with my Greek best friend) It's kinda ...creepy.

The Menus are neet, but make me wish I had a CD of complete Gargolyes music :sad: I'll be able to watch more after finals (why the hell am I onthe internet anyway!?)

GregX

Conekiller said:
Hell, the blonde girl with the tatoos onher shoulders that Says Gargoyles and it's community got her thru high school roomed with me and my buddies one night a few gatherings ago (she also hit it off decently with my Greek best friend) It's kinda ...creepy.
How so?

But yeah, that's Sapphire. She's a friend of mine, one of the coolest people in the fandom. And damn did she get featured a lot, the director of that featurette obviously has a huge crush on her.

Raissa

Gargoyles Marathon For Me

I watched the whole set (minus commentary) as a marathon, today. It was great! I don't listen to commentary, because I find it distracting. I always just want to watch the movie/show. Plus, I figure I can get whatever info I want from the "Ask Greg" FAQ.

I especially like Princess Katharine. Disney would do well to market her as a "Disney Princess;" she counts as one, after all. She's certainly the most well-written.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
Shouldn't have William started this forum? ;)

Wow that looks better than the original airing. Looking foward towards the next set. That and future releases of other classic Disney Afternoon shows.

Stewie

Just now getting into Donovan
I want it, but I want Return of the King: Extended Edition slightly more. And I already pre-ordered Garden State. And I still haven't solved my problem of not having The Iron Giant Special Edition.

I need Santa now more than ever.

KWKeller

Haruhiist
Got it on Tuesday at Target. I first went to Best Buy (at about 11:30, just after I got out of my morning class), and they didn't have it. They had plenty of the new Kim Possible DVDs, but when I asked a saleperson, she found it on the computer but it apparently wasn't in the store yet. So, I drove across the street to Target and grabbed one of the TWO copies that they had there. I'm wondering how many of these DVDs they actually shipped out.

Got back home, REALLY had to work on a take home final that was due today, but I still watched the first five episodes with the commentary on. It's amazing how clear and clean the animation looks on it, especially when I'm used to my 9 and 10 year old tapes made from a channel that never had good reception (sometimes on those old tapes, I can barely make out the shapes of the characters through the interference). I'm desperately hoping that the rest of the series will get the same treatment.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Nin-Nin69 said:
Shouldn't have William started this forum? ;)

I had actually been waiting to see if someone else started a Talkback first since I have not had a chance to view the DVD yet. I have it on order, and like Duke, I'm in the middle of finals. 3 hour Constitutional Law final tomorrow morning. Bleh.

Conekiller

On the Cruise!
GregX said:
How so?

But yeah, that's Sapphire. She's a friend of mine, one of the coolest people in the fandom. And damn did she get featured a lot, the director of that featurette obviously has a huge crush on her.
creepy knowing someone and having them on a DVD

Yes, she's cool, and it's easy to beleive the director had a crush on her, half of the guys (and maybe a few girls >_> <_< ) at the Gathering I went to did. She's very likeable, it's a shame she didn't have many friends in school, at least the Fandom's brought out the best in her. ^___^

On Topic: the screen is so clear I'm noticing animation/coloring errors. Specifically in Enter Macbeth, there was a scene where Elisa's eyelashes were drawn in but not colored.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Question: What is it about animation that always keeps you coming back for more even sometimes bad movies/shows?
What was your first instance of being hyped for something.

For me it was the Phineas and Ferb episode "Act your Age"
If I could actually love, I would love everyone of you. Thank you.
This has been a wild weekend.
nickatnite.com and nick.com schedules for The Neighborhood somehow have episode synopsis but not all: Example: early Sun Jul 21 5:34am - Welcome to the Stakeout, Synopsis: "When there’s a break-in at Calvin’s business, he teams up with Dave for a stakeout to catch the culprit in the act."

Featured Posts