"DC League of Super-Pets" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku-sempai

Jeff Sneider at Collider reports: Exclusive: ‘Super Pets’ Movie From ‘Lego Batman’ Writer In the Works at Warner Bros.
After writing The LEGO Batman Movie and The LEGO Ninjago Movie for Warner Bros., Jared Stern has been hired by the studio to write and direct Super Pets, an animated movie about DC characters’ pets, Collider has exclusively learned.
It’s unclear whether Stern will use DC’s Legion of Super-Pets or the Cartoon Network series as the basis for the script, or whether he’ll create new characters better suited to his vision for the film. The Super-Pets team first appeared together in Adventure Comics #293 (February 1962), though most of the members had appeared in earlier issues. Over the years, those members included Krypto the Super-Dog, Streaky the Super-Cat, Beppo the Super-Monkey and Comet the Super-Horse from the Superman and Superboy comics; Damian Wayne’s dog Titus; Aquaman’s seahorse Storm; plus Flexi the Plastic Bird, Bat-Cow and Clay Critter, who was killed by Dex-Starr and Harley Quinn’s hyenas Bud and Lou. Krypto the Superdog also had his own comic series, which featured appearances from Beppo and Comet.
I'm surprised this is being seen as a theatrical feature. When I saw the headline I was expecting this to be a direct-to-video movie.

EDIT (08/01): I originally cited the article at CBR. Since someone saw fit to change the link to the original story at Collider, I've edited the rest of the post to fit.

Last edited:

Dreyfus

Well I didn't really like Lego Ninjago, but I thought Lego Batman was okay. It was trying a bit too hard to make meta jokes, but I did like Batman's throughline of finding a family. Will have to read the article, but I wonder if they will be maintaining the regular art style.

In terms of theatrical releases, it must make sense for WB to make what it can on these lower budget productions in theaters. They must be making more money on them that way. I just hope that the quality is a step up as well, especially since the Teen Titans Go! movie turned out so well.

Frontier

Staff member
I think if any property is fitting for an animated feature, it's the super pets ;).

Kinda surprised they mentioned Titus and not Ace (Batman's traditional dog).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Between this and TTG, I think it's safe to say we will be getting more and more theatrical, animated superhero movies, and that's a good thing.

Frontier

Staff member
Between this and TTG, I think it's safe to say we will be getting more and more theatrical, animated superhero movies, and that's a good thing.
Honestly, as optimistic as I am for stuff like Aquaman and Shazam, I think animated films are probably the more reliable bets for WB/DC.

Dudley

Staff member
Since DC’s animated outings have done well review wise, and The Secret Life of Pets being a huge box-office hit, this movie seems to tick all the boxes for potential success.
Sounds like it could be fun, I’m looking forward to it!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Randomly, James Gunn might have had some initial involvement in Super Pets (but is now working on The Suicide Squad live action movie). EDIT: My mistake, it doesn't sound like he was directly offered it. But more accurately, it seems like he did some brief research into Superman and took a liking to Krypto.

Last edited:

Dorko

I sincerely hope they keep Krypto & Bat-Hound maintaining dual identities. That's a piece of Silver Age lore that deserves to be included in every adaptation, reboot, and return of the characters.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It has potential. I've always loved Krypto and I'm pretty fond of Ace and Streaky. I have faith that they'll put some real effort into it. I'm all for big screen DC animation when I can get it and hopefully I can get something like a Superman feature someday.

Frontier

Staff member

Parker-Shepherd

I'm curious about the Superpets animated movie. I love animals and apart from some animated shorts from DC nation and some cameos in Justice League Action and that sort of thing, there has really been anything centered on the Superpets. The Krypto the Superdog animated series ended 7 months after Justice League Unlimited in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Just learned that GAMESTOP and FRED MEYER are now going to be selling DVDs, Blu-rays, and even 4K UHD Blu-rays. This comes in the wake of Best Buy removing ALL DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as Target and FYE shrinking down their offerings.

Are there any notable child voice actors born in the 2010s? The oldest is turning 14 in 2024. Just curious. Jason Griffith was one of the only 4Kids voice actors born in the 80s (most were born in the 70s or earlier)
I wish a happy 17th birthday to Lily Sanfelippo, voice of Gwen Stacy/Ghost Spider in seasons 1-2 of Spidey And His Amazing Friends and Axl from Firebuds.
I've decided that I will indeed start doing music reviews soon. They will mainly be on the blog linked in my signature, but certain reviews that meet forum standards will be crossposted to the music forum.
Angelo Rules is getting a sixth season, this might be niche post Angelo Rules Ordered for Season Six - TVKIDS

Featured Posts