DC Fires Editors Raspler, Helfer, and Dontanville

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What came as a surprise to DC Fans, the company announced that Dan Raspler, Andy Helfer, and Morgan Dontanville have been fired by the company. The article, as reported by Newsarama is as follows:

DC has confirmed for Newsarama that Group Editor Dan Raspler, Andy Helfer and Morgan Dontanville have been fired by DC. Raspler was the JLA Group Editor, Helfer was also a Group Editor and most recently edited Titans, and Dontanville was Batman group Editor Bob Schreck’s assistant. The firings will cause a cascade of changed internally at DC with regard to Mike Carlin and Dan DiDio.

Carlin, who has been DC’s VP – Executive Editor for the past few years, will step down from the role and resume work as a regular Group Editor in the newly created role of Senior Group Editor – DC Universe, taking on the books formerly edited by Raspler (JLA, Aquaman, Superman: Birthright, and Formerly Known as the Justice League) in addition to his current projects, including SHAZAM! with Jeff Smith. DiDio will retain his title of VP – Editorial, while adding many of Carlin’s former duties to his current list.

According to sources, the move for Carlin was one of his own choosing, made recently when his contract as Executive Editor was up. Having begun at Marvel, where he worked under Mark Gruenwald, Carlin moved to DC and was a key editor for the relaunch of the Superman line of books in the late '80s.

The move puts Carlin in the company of former editorial chiefs of comic publishers, such as Carmine Infantino, Dick Giordano, Archie Goodwin, Marv Wolfman, and Roy Thomas who have held similar positions at Dc or Marvel to give them up after a few years, and return to their previous roles within the company or greater industry.

Helfer has been with DC since the early ‘80s, and served both as writer and editor in his early years, writing such titles as the 1986 Deadman miniseries, and the ongoing Shadow series, as well as serving as editor on Byrne’s Superman and the Legends, Invasion, and Millennium miniseries, as well as JLI, JLE, and Green Lantern. Helfer also edited much of DC’s Paradox and Piranha Press line, including the Big Books, Road to Perdition and Stuck Rubber Baby. More recently, Helfer edited Titans, Doom Patrol, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Realworlds and the upcoming Kia Asamiya Batman project, Batman: Child of Dreams, and the Tony Wong Batman project, Batman: Hong Kong.

Raspler began work at Marvel in the ‘80s, and came to DC under Denny O’Neil as an assistant editor. Since then, Raspler has been a fixture in the DC credit boxes and moved through the Batman and Superman titles as an assistant editor, before becoming a full editor on books such as Demon, Hitman, Lobo, Suicide Squad, The Power of Shazam, Spectre, Kingdom Come, The Kingdom and eventually, virtually all things JLA, overseeing the title since its

Raspler won an Eisner in 1997 for Best Editor, and also dabbled in writing, co-creating and penning Young Heroes in Love, which lasted eighteen issues.

Source: Newsarama

Comments?

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
I'm very pleased. Dan Raspler must have been approving monthly issues of JLA. Perhaps this will change the title's work for the better. If not, at least Dan Raspler, who must have been approving monthly issues of JLA, is fired :D :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.

Featured Posts