"Daredevil" Episode 3 "Rabbit in a Snow Storm" Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"Marvel's Daredevil" is a live action series that follows the journey of attorney Matt Murdock, who in a tragic accident was blinded as a boy but imbued with extraordinary senses. Murdock sets up practice in his old neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen, New York where he now fights against injustice as a respected lawyer by day and masked vigilante at night.

fb1448a9-956c-4727-9bf5-899cbc7503b9_zpsdoeyitiq.jpg
Episode 3 "Rabbit in a Snow Storm" Talkback
Friday, April 10, 2015 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix
Murdock and Foggy take on a mysterious wealthy client, but Murdock is convinced that there's more to the case than just the facts.

If you saw the whole season and want to talk about it all:
#1: "Series Talkback"

the greenman

Vondie Curtis Hall as Urich really elevated the series for me. Besides his acting, I kinda hope he directs, as well as get his wife to direct too. All in all, the courtroom scene was quintessential DD, which we know the film didn't really get into. This is the whole purpose of a series to explore scenes like these.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess a Turk guarantee doesn't mean as much after Turk's had the living snot beaten out of him by a masked vigilante :p.

It was interesting to see Matt and Foggy's dynamic on their practice shift here with the case, as Foggy was the one who wanted to avoid representing an obviously guilty and devious client while Matt agreed to represent him (having even more of an idea as to his guilt thanks to his senses) for the monetary gain. Of course, the reason for Matt's shift in priorities was because he wanted to get a better idea of who the assassin was working for and Wesley's employer, and used being his lawyer as a means of doing so. It provided a little conflict between the two best friends and partners, though one easily solved in the end, so hopefully Nelson and Murdock can work out their criteria for cases at a later date :sweat:.

Man, you got to give Fisk credit...his coverups are thorough. You think you've got a connection with one corporation, only for it turn out to be a small, minor, blip in the grand scheme of things and one easily rectified by paying off any witnesses as Karen got to find out firsthand. Matt's certainly got his work cut out for him in bringing down this criminal empire :ack:.

Ben Urich! Been waiting to see him show up and he certainly didn't disappoint. I agree with the greenman that Vondie Curtis was really awesome as Ben, complete with Ben's classic spectacles, and already from just this episode I can tell I'm going to get really invested in this character :D.

A capable and effective reporter who wants to dig in to the real stories and issues going on in the city, the ones people don't want to talk about, but stuck writing fluff pieces for his paper to maintain a dying medium and to support his sick wife while he tries to find a way to workaround their insurance issues. Some very real problems for a very real and honest character. And it looks like he'll be getting involved with the Kingpin conspiracy as Karen comes forward to get his assistance...though I hope nothing terrible happens to him or his wife as a result :(.

Y'know, if Jameson was running things, he'd have let Ben run with his story. Sure, he probably would have found someway to pin it all on Spider-Man, but at least he'd let Ben run with it ;).

The court scenes were short but sweet, and let us see more Matt and Foggy in their natural/professional environment. All the more investing because they both know they're client is likely guilty, but are required by their profession to still defend him to the best of their ability and within the wording of the law. Which led to a good opening argument from Foggy, and a strong (if somewhat bitter and resigned with plenty of hidden undertones) closing from Matt :).

Of course, it was all moot as their entire case was just a cover as Wesley and his goons mess with the jury despite interference from Matt. The entire situation of this episode especially highlights the necessity of Daredevil and why Matt does what he does: to have a means of delivering justice when it can't be found in the courts :cool:.

Matt's fight with the enforcer was pretty cool, and both combatants gave a pretty great showing as they tussled about in that alley, even if DD ultimately came out on top. And it's also nice to see Matt, still in his early years as a hero, carrying out, if unspoken, the classic no-kill-rule as he just tells the guy to leave the city. Too bad the enforcer's revealing of his employer's name basically marked him for death, leading him to take his life in a pretty gruesome way that not even Matt or I were prepared for :eek:.

In the end, Matt finally learns the name of the person behind all the rampant crime in Hell's Kitchen, and the name of the villain who will come to define him in the days to come: Wilson Fisk. And then we finally get to see the Kingpin of Crime in the flesh as he admires some art, also meeting his future wife in the process...

hobbyfan

When Wilson Fisk, aka Kingpin, was introduced in the pages of Spider-Man in the late 60's (John Romita, Sr. era), he was, IIRC, already married to Vanessa. Who'dathunk we'd see him as a bachelor courting his future bride? Vincent D'Onofrio was awesome here. A 180 from his Law & Order: Criminal Intent gig, and worth the wait.

Wesley's a turd, and I just can't see him hanging around at the end of the season. Don't spoil it for me, guys. The way my bro & I have it planned, we'll reach the end of the season in June.

Very interesting death scene, right out of the DTV horror movies. Oy.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The death scene of the perp here was one of the most brutal, grusome things I can ever recall seeing. I'm not normally squimish but I looked away soon as I knew what was coming.

I do love this version of Fisk, a man who seems so certain of himself for everything outside of Vanessa, but he seems barely able to talk properly around her. Giving the villain a romantic interest was a very interesting twist on the big bad.

Another outstanding episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts