C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Unparalleled Joy × And × Unconditional Love" [2/2]

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Toonami2018-_Main_Template.png
Hunter_x_Hunter_Chimera_Ant_talkback.png

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Hyōri Ittai" by Yuzu [VERSION 1]​

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%252520128%252520-%252520Large%25252014%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Episode 128
"Unparalleled Joy × And × Unconditional Love"
Chapters adapted: 299, 301

This time:
Pouf and Youpi attempt to revive the King.

Notes:
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volumes 28 and 29 of the manga release.
  • Episodes 1-75 are currently available across four Bluray/DVD sets from Viz Media.
  • The second Hunter x Hunter movie, ”The Last Mission”, will be releasing on Bluray and DVD on March 12th. The first movie, “Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge”, is currently available.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
It's funny, without context, the title sounds lime it'd be about the good guys. I guess the words "love" and "joy" aren't usually used for villains.

Lawren22

Togashi's wild ride. This was somehow even more awkward than the sub lol Pouf's voice actor especially really did a um good job.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So many homoerotic undertones this episode. They are now inside him. Meruem is alive with a new power up. Wondering how much longer this arc will stretch. To be fair, Naraku and Aizen are still the villains who lasted a ridiculously long time, lasting over 150 episodes. Meruem has lasted about 40 I think, middle of the road for shonen arc villains.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
So many homoerotic undertones this episode. They are now inside him. Meruem is alive with a new power up. Wondering how much longer this arc will stretch. To be fair, Naraku and Aizen are still the villains who lasted a ridiculously long time, lasting over 150 episodes. Meruem has lasted about 40 I think, middle of the road for shonen arc villains.

This arc only has about nine episodes left.

I know some fans joke that other Jump artists must get jealous of Togashi. Jump magazine seemingly lets him get away with stuff others can't. Togashi is the walking definition of the "Getting Crap Past The Radar" trope. This episode is a trip for sure.

Lawren22

This arc ends with ep 136 so only 8 or 9 more episodes ( and even then 136 is an epilogue,135 is the real conclusion). Meruem could've had died in the explosion but I would have found that an unfuling end for his character as his character arc has been the one that has gotten the most focus besides Gon himself in the second half,it would've felt unfinished imo.The alternative is also more eps of the gang fighting Youpi and Pouf and that doesn't sound interesting to me tbh especially when Youpi had a fight that took 10 eps already. Him getting a power up when he was already so much stronger than everybody else is funny and really uneeded thought.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Him getting a power up when he was already so much stronger than everybody else is funny and really unneeded thought.
That perplexed me. There's no one near his level anymore right? Who the heck has even a shot at killing him or even harming him? I hope they're not letting him live past this arc...

Lawren22

That perplexed me. There's no one near his level anymore right? Who the heck has even a shot at killing him or even harming him? I hope they're not letting him live past this arc...
Yeah, Post rose Meruem is physically the strongest character in the series by far( at least as far as the anime even in the manga they haven't introduced a character stronger yet). He's bascally a physical god at this point the whole squad would just get thier butts whipped in like a second. The rest I can't really talk about but the ending to the CA arc is something alright there is no other shonen arc ending that's really it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, Post rose Meruem is physically the strongest character in the series by far( at least as far as the anime even in the manga they haven't introduced a character stronger yet). He's bascally a physical god at this point the whole squad would just get thier butts whipped in like a second. The rest I can't really talk about but the ending to the CA arc( which I consider to be 134-136)is something alright there is no other shonen arc ending that's really like it.
I appreciate no spoilers and graciously accept your hype. ;)

Mr. Anime

The rest I can't really talk about but the ending to the CA arc is something alright there is no other shonen arc ending that's really it.
That's personally why I am deeply ambivalent about the arc in general, all that long, long build up and it ultimately ends on something I find less than satisfactory.

Lawren22

I can see that too tbh, it can be seen as anticlimax and ( so can every single HxH arc besides Greed Island there also another reason why I can this people not liking it too) but I honestly think this fit the characters and themes the arc was going for better than anything else would have and it actually was a conclusive ending unlike say Yorknew City's which while not at all bad felt more like to be continue much latter than an ending( which it basically is). That scence involving those three characters in 134 is probably my favorite in all of HxH.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was not expecting them to be able to revive Meruem, let alone that he had some bit of life left in him after that explosion. I was also not expecting Pouf and Youpi to have such suggestive reactions during the whole feeding Meruem scene. Pouf in particular sounded like he was straight up having an organism. It wasn't quite as uncomfortable as the whole bit with Hisoka, but it was up there.

I also wonder just how they'll deal with Meruem now. He was already ridiculously strong before, but now he has even more power after being revived and there isn't anyone who could possibly defeat him at this point. I'm still not sure if they could leave him alone when he still wants to rule the world and he is a huge threat to humanity, but the remaining episodes will cover that. I'm also just surprised that we're that close to the end of the arc after they stretched it out for so long.

At least Meruem had some memory loss as a result of the expolsion, so there was some damage from that attack. Since Pouf and Youpi are part of Meruem now, I wonder if that means Meruem will find out that Pouf tried to kill Komugi and then in tern kill him once he regain his memories. Given their physical states, I don't know if Pouf and Youpi could fight against anyone else anymore. At least Knuckle and the others were able to protect Komugi and they found out that the king was still alive. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
and there isn't anyone who could possibly defeat him at this point
Over the past couple days, I've been wondering if Mereum and the Royal Guard can still die by poisoning if Morel recovers his pipe and his energy. He used carbon monoxide posioning against Leol if I recall. Or can Knov trap someone in a dimension forever? EDIT: No wait, both of those guys are pretty much finished for the arc... dang.

Lawren22

Don't even try to predict the ending guys you wont be able to at least not yet. Yeah ,Morel and Knov are out of the game and Youpi is pretty harmless. He's basically out too.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Probably, after all Pouf and Youpi were able to fly into a radioactive zone with no ill effect then resuscitate their leader to OP levels.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.
1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!

Featured Posts