"Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss Season Two!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

CyberCubed

To be honest almost every time an old series is continued years/decades later, there's always problems. Look at the Star Wars sequels, Star Trek Picard, Dragon Ball Super as a continuation of DBZ, etc.

As fans we always beg for a series we loved that ended to be revived at some point, and sometimes when it is...the results can be a mixed bag. Not saying every revival is doomed to be terrible, I hear people like the new Animaniacs (I haven't watched it so I don't know), Young Justice Season 3 was a bit of a mixed bag compared to the first two seasons, and the new Futurama eps we got a decade after the show ended were mostly good, but there's always something that's "off" compared to when a show naturally ended.

It probably doesn't help matters the writers always seem like they're trying to cater revivals to the vocal fans, so they throw in "remember berries" at the audience trying to reference big episodes or moments in a series, or try to introduce a character or plotline they know fans have wanted in fanfiction for years and make it canon...then it has mixed results.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now all we need is a heavyweight contest between Tucker/DeMatties vs Burnett/Dini :p.
Uh, I think we know the winner already. ;)

I'm concerned what next month's issue will be since it is a made for comic super villain <cough> cannon fodder <cough> Ahem.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I hate to join in pilling on this issue, but yeah, I didn't like it too much.

In theory, I was excited to see smaller, one-issue stories, especially stories with the mob as antagonists. I always thought B:TAS was cool for not just spamming us with supervillains every week and gave us mobsters or even smaller enemies for more intimate stories. And for the most part, this issue kind of feels like that. The story here isn't bad, but there are a few things that knock it down for me.

First, while Batgirl certainly proved herself to be more mature than Batman gave her credit for, the writing still made her come off as incredibly childish. I think it's mostly the swearing and complaining. She's got a point about Batman distrusting her, and she is working with her dad's killer, but I think her anger could've been portrayed better.

Jazzman being a musical Zsasz was kind of weird, but I guess I didn't mind too much, since I always though Zsasz was a boring villain. I am a bit annoyed by his death because it comes off as if Batgirl deliberately allowed it. I would've been happier if they had cut the line where she says Huntress could do with Jazzman what she wanted once he spilled about Black Mask. I can buy her and Batman not noticing it until it was too late, but that allowance Batgirl gives her just kind of ruins it.

I didn't want to harp on continuity errors too much, but the Bertinelli flashback was some disappointingly sloppy work. All it could've taken was a quick rewatch of that episode. It only looks worse when other comics like Justice League Infinity and Harley Quinn: Eat, Bang, Kill Tour are currently out, and showing more care about the animated worlds they are based on. A Young Justice tie-in would seal the deal.

The art is very rough, but I don't want to dwell on it much, since I understand the unfortunate circumstances. I wish Mr. Templeton the best in these times, and I hope it improves from here on out.
I'm concerned what next month's issue will be since it is a made for comic super villain <cough> cannon fodder <cough> Ahem.
I honestly hope we get a hit like Mr. Wing or Straightman. I know I've mentioned this before, but Dini has a good knack for making memorable goons.

Frontier

Staff member
First, while Batgirl certainly proved herself to be more mature than Batman gave her credit for, the writing still made her come off as incredibly childish. I think it's mostly the swearing and complaining. She's got a point about Batman distrusting her, and she is working with her dad's killer, but I think her anger could've been portrayed better.
I think it's never a good thing when you're reminded of Batgirl from the Killing Joke movie :sweat:.
I honestly hope we get a hit like Mr. Wing or Straightman. I know I've mentioned this before, but Dini has a good knack for making memorable goons.
And writing villains (particularly female ones) :).

Spider-Man

I see Jordan Gibson who is doing that great cover for issue #4 is also doing the interior:

I'm really glad to see this! So that means Burchett's art on #3 was maybe rushed and then he's back with #5 hopefully with more time.

Frontier

Staff member
I see Jordan Gibson who is doing that great cover for issue #4 is also doing the interior:

I'm really glad to see this! So that means Burchett's art on #3 was maybe rushed and then he's back with #5 hopefully with more time.
That's a good Gotham landscape :).

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Monica Kubina are joined by Rick Burchett as Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two continues to dive into the sordid history of Gotham City ! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES - SEASON TWO #4

Preview pages available at The World's Finest

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Rick Burchett

The Story: After a body washes ashore at the Gotham docks, Batman hunts for a mysterious mercenary known simply as the Muscle. But can the Dark Knight protect the assassin's next target: Detective Renee Montoya?

Release Date: Sept. 21, 2021
Format: Print, Digital
Price: $3.99

Welcome back to Gotham City! Talk all about Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue The World's Finest Subsite (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jordan Gibson made a title card intro for the issue.

Nice done-in-one yet setting up the final arc of the season. Not bad.

Liked the interplay between Renee Montoya and Gloria Navarro. Naturally they would have differing opinions on Batman.

The exploding Batarangs back again. Kinda made things easy...

Alfred having to drive the Batmobile. lmao. Lot of great banter between Bruce and Alfred in this issue as well. I've missed that. Also liked the b.g. work like Bullock taking the whole cake and the caterer looked peeved.

Glad it was Renee who saved the day since the solicits made it clear she was the star of this issue <cough>and glad Muscle was killed off in a hail of bullets<cough> and her critique of Batman was hard hitting. If it were Batman '66, this would be another story, he testifies in court! :D

But um, so Renee only got suspended right?

Frontier

Staff member
Renee being anti-Batman feels kind of out-of-nowhere and inconsistent with her portrayal on the show where she was pretty fine with Batman. I mean, some adaptions of her have started out disliking Batman before he grows on her but it just seemed out of place here :confused:.

I never thought someone could put so much into a muscle gimmick, but he did and I'm impressed :p.

Nice to see Rupert Thorne still at it after all these years :rolleyes2:.

Gloria is cute :).

Some nice Bruce Wayne action :cool:.
But um, so Renee only got suspended right?
Yeah, it "being worth losing my badge" was kind of vague :oops:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Renee being anti-Batman feels kind of out-of-nowhere and inconsistent with her portrayal on the show where she was pretty fine with Batman. I mean, some adaptions of her have started out disliking Batman before he grows on her but it just seemed out of place here :confused:.
I admit I was thinking 'was this her stance on BTAS?' but honestly when did she ever have dialogue with Batman or voice her opinion? "P.O.V."? And well, technically, Batgirl thinks she would have went along with Jim busting Batman and co. in "Over the Edge" enough to open fire on them.

Or was this something Dini wrote for her when he started writing the regular comics?

Frontier

Staff member
I admit I was thinking 'was this her stance on BTAS?' but honestly when did she ever have dialogue with Batman or voice her opinion? "P.O.V."? And well, technically, Batgirl thinks she would have went along with Jim busting Batman and co. in "Over the Edge" enough to open fire on them.

Or was this something Dini wrote for her when he started writing the regular comics?
I always got the impression she was more supportive of them to contrast with Bullock (Over the Edge was always a worst case scenario in Babs' head) but I could be thinking of Gotham Girls :sweat:.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
One of the strongest issues yet, not just in this season, but the run overall. In surface, it's another simple, one-shot story, but it is also well-executed, and without a lot for me to nitpick. ;)

Gibson's art and Kubina's colors were the highlights of the story. Combined, they create some gorgeous pages that really capture the noir vibe of the classic series. I hope Gibson works on future issues or even a new DC animation comic.

I don't know how to feel about Muscle. I like his costume and he ended up having more to him than just being a goon, but I don't know why he had an "Evil Batman" gimmick if it went nowhere. He ended up being pretty disposable. Killer Moth could've fit that role nicely, is all I'm saying.

I liked seeing some old B:TAS faces come back like Montoya and Thorne, especially the former's love life and accomplishments. I don't know why she had a thing against Batman handling ordinary crime. I mean, it's an interesting angle to explore, but it should've been established more. Bullock getting that cake made me smile.

I see we're staring he final story arc, between Hill Jr. honoring Montoya and Emerson Mayfield making his move. It doesn't sound as interesting as the Red Hood arc, but maybe Dini and Burnett have some surprises in store.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Going back to a highlight of the issue for being Batman and Alfred. Really happy the latter had a bigger role than usual. The party/Batcave/the Batmobile scenes doing their buddy-cop/Car 54 Where Are You? team up subplot. Very enjoyable part of the story. And Alfred putting salt in the wound and telling Bruce he got zinged, Bruce's 'the doctor won't if you drive fast!,' the Batmobile convo, and his last line of 'Batman can't be everywhere.' Good stuff.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Now that I re-read the issue, I think Montoya saying she "lost her badge" was literal. She put it on her coat on the spot where her bulletproof vest was and tricked Muscle into shooting the obvious target, just like Batman tricks crooks into shooting the reinforced spot with his bat symbol.

Going back to a highlight of the issue for being Batman and Alfred. Really happy the latter had a bigger role than usual. The party/Batcave/the Batmobile scenes doing their buddy-cop/Car 54 Where Are You? team up subplot. Very enjoyable part of the story. And Alfred putting salt in the wound and telling Bruce he got zinged, Bruce's 'the doctor won't if you drive fast!,' the Batmobile convo, and his last line of 'Batman can't be everywhere.' Good stuff.
It was certainly a better focus on Alfred than he had in the Red Hood arc, for sure.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now that I re-read the issue, I think Montoya saying she "lost her badge" was literal. She put it on her coat on the spot where her bulletproof vest was and tricked Muscle into shooting the obvious target, just like Batman tricks crooks into shooting the reinforced spot with his bat symbol.
I did miss that. She literally lost the badge. D'oh. That makes sense. It was kind of confusing because she also set up the practice dummy for him to shoot first (or was that a coincidence?) then they traded fire at each other and then as you said he shot her badge. I think they might have cut too much dialogue on the last page that would have made that point clear, instead the panel was too busy with Summer reporting about Thorne's arrest and Mayfield's announcement.
It was certainly a better focus on Alfred than he had in the Red Hood arc, for sure.
Definitely. Exposition guy in that arc.

Spider-Man

I thought issue #4 was probably the best issue of season two so far and part of that is thanks to the great artwork by Jordan Gibson. I found his art really helped to place the story in the world. I am still perplexed at the story decisions being made half the time in this book and how some of them seem really out of place in this world. If anything this book continues to make me thankful that BTAS hasn't been brought back for new episodes as it is very clear how much of a true team effort that show was and how everyone played such a vital role in makiing it what it is. It just wouldn't work today at all and a reboot would likely end up sort of mixed like these comics. You leave a part of two of that team out and well we're seeing what that would be like. It still blows my mind how this and JLI are such night and day books.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Just learned that GAMESTOP and FRED MEYER are now going to be selling DVDs, Blu-rays, and even 4K UHD Blu-rays. This comes in the wake of Best Buy removing ALL DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as Target and FYE shrinking down their offerings.

Are there any notable child voice actors born in the 2010s? The oldest is turning 14 in 2024. Just curious. Jason Griffith was one of the only 4Kids voice actors born in the 80s (most were born in the 70s or earlier)
I wish a happy 17th birthday to Lily Sanfelippo, voice of Gwen Stacy/Ghost Spider in seasons 1-2 of Spidey And His Amazing Friends and Axl from Firebuds.
I've decided that I will indeed start doing music reviews soon. They will mainly be on the blog linked in my signature, but certain reviews that meet forum standards will be crossposted to the music forum.
Angelo Rules is getting a sixth season, this might be niche post Angelo Rules Ordered for Season Six - TVKIDS

Featured Posts