"Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss Seson Two!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's an all-new season of Batman: The Adventures Continue! Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Ty Templeton and Monica Kubina return for Season Two and explore the sordid history of Gotham City! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES - SEASON TWO #1

Preview pages available at The World's Finest

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: Gotham City is changing. After Mayor Hill is killed by a mysterious assailant, Batman finds himself tracking down an ancient order that's long been buried under the streets of Gotham: The Court of Owls. But what does this group have to gain from the death of Mayor Hill...and how can Deadman help the Dark Knight? Will the clues lead Batman to an ancient Gotham City legend? Who else besides Boston Brand will materialize in this new season of Batman: The Adventures Continue?

Release Date: June 1, 2021
Format: Print, Digital
Price: $3.99

Welcome back to Gotham City! Talk all about Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue The World's Finest Subsite (Spoilers)

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'll repost this part from the ''Comic thread'' just to get my complete thoughts down:

I was just charged £3.19 ($4.52) for a chopped up, 10 page DIGITAL comic. Frankly, that's even too expensive for a complete digital issue. In the UK, we can buy two full physical comics for under £3.00. Who's charging these prices, DC or Comixology?

The release schedule for this thing is also sloppy and unprofessional. Dates gets changed at last minute. Solicitations are never properly updated. One day they want to release it in split chapters, the next it's the full issue, then back again. I've just cancelled my digital subscription.

As for the issue... sorry, ''chapter'' itself, the art is still very pretty and the writing seems somewhat improved. I think having Court of Owls memorabilia that Batman can just casually peruse removes some of their immediate menace and mystery, though.

I don't like complaining, but this is a shoddy way to treat the fans and does no service to this creative team.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'll repost this part from the ''Comic thread'' just to get my complete thoughts down:

I was just charged £3.19 ($4.52) for a chopped up, 10 page DIGITAL comic. Frankly, that's even too expensive for a complete digital issue. In the UK, we can buy two full physical comics for under £3.00. Who's charging these prices, DC or Comixology?

The release schedule for this thing is also sloppy and unprofessional. Dates gets changed at last minute. Solicitations are never properly updated. One day they want to release it in split chapters, the next it's the full issue, then back again. I've just cancelled by digital subscription.

As for the issue... sorry, ''chapter'' itself, the art is still very pretty and the writing seems somewhat improved. I think having Court of Owls memorabilia that Batman can just casually peruse removes some of their immediate menace and mystery, though.
OMG. How did I know they'd muck something up. Contact customer support right away so they know and fix it asap. It's supposed to be the full issue.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
OMG. How did I know they'd muck something up. Contact customer support right away so they know and fix it asap. It's supposed to be the full issue.

It is advertised on comixology as having a ''23 page'' count, so I imagine this must be DC's fault, but I've emailed for a refund anyway. According to Watchtower Database, this is a wide spread issue, even in the States?

This is why I always did physical and will be sticking to that format from now on.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It is advertised on comixology as having a ''23 page'' count, so I imagine this must be DC's fault, but I've emailed for a refund anyway. According to Watchtower Database, this is a wide spread issue, even in the States?

This is why I always did physical and will be sticking to that format from now on.
Yup, seems to be a global muck up. The more complaint messages they get, hopefully the faster they do their re-upload of pages. Par for the course when it comes to BTAC. It's always something... >_<

I also tweeted comixology, DC, and DCU about the issue, hopefully that helps speed things up, too.

Yes, I resisted digital comics until recently when my 2 local comic book shops closed up for good thanks to covid-19 and I had to do the switch or drive really out of my way to the other shop in my city.

Spider-Man

Same thing happened for me too and I emailed comiXology support immediately. It's clearly a mistake on either Comixology or DC's part which ideally they fix soon. I paid $4 for the whole comic, not for a $0.99 digital chapter.

That aside I thought this was maybe the strongest issue of the comic yet, clearly including season one. Plus the cliffhanger to this first digital chapter is really really good and unexpected. Here's hoping Season Two will be much better than Season One.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ok, so the plot is for some reason the Court is going after descendants of Gotham's founding families. A Talon being able to resist being possessed and being able to see ghosts was a neat hook. The stolen manual bit is intriguing. This person could be a copycat with a grudge against the Hill family and not a real Court of Owls-trained Talon?

The bit about City Council wanting Hill Jr., a lawyer albet it, to serve out his father's term -- uh, is that really possible? Wouldn't it just fall on the Deputy Mayor, Financial Director or depending on the city charter, the next in line of succession?

Was neat seeing Vreeland Manor and General Vreeland again. And an allusion to when Veronica was kidnapped by Harley, lol. Nice callback with Dick losing his popcorn like Bruce did in the Robin's Reckoning flashback.

Only timeline/continuity teeth gritting I had was towards the end when Bruce tells Zatanna he and Nightwing solved his murder whereas in "Dead Reckoning" it is said Batman solved it and that was "over a year" ago. But "over a year" is vague enough to not cause issues and not like Batman would name drop Nightwing I suppose. Nothing too disruptive...

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
This issue was a much stronger start in comparison to season one's opening arc. The story, art, etc. felt improved. The Court of Owls fit like a glove in this continuity, with only some minor tweaking required. Talon was a pretty decent threat and it will be interesting to see how the conspiracy unfolds. Starting the issue by killing off Mayor Hill was a strong hook. I have a feeling Junior taking over his father's position will come into play at some point in the future.

The use of Deadman and Zatanna in this issue was a lot of fun. I always thought the former has been fairly underused, so it's cool to see him again. I'm going to say the references to his past encounters with Bruce and Dick are just nods to those issues. Of course, it was only a matter of time until Dini used Zatanna, but she was cool. I hope that's not the end of her involvement.

I think having the entire issue also helped the story. I'm not going to lie, I was never satisfied with the broken-up digital comics since they felt like they ended too soon, while the size of this story was just right. I don't really mind waiting a month for a story like this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Forgot, there was the flashback with Stanton Vreeland. Veronica held an event honoring him in "Catwalk" but Selina Kyle pointed out he hunted some to extinction. And Deadman calling Talon "Woodsy," after the 70s Woodsy Owl mascot.

Spider-Man

My digital copy was updated to the full 20-page version but it seems like the credits are lost?

Now that I've read the whole thing I am really looking forward to issue #2. Just one issue in and this book feels a lot more "right" than the last one!

Frontier

Staff member
I definitely agree these issues read better as full issues and not split apart like season 1 was :).

They integrated the Court of Owls into the DCAU continuity probably as well as could be expected for something introduced well after the cartoon had ended ;).

Poor Mayor Hill. Survived in the last DCAU Batman comic, but is now killed off by the newest cool thing in comics :(.

Hill Jr. doesn't like Batman and they're positing him to take over for his father...I dunno, an anti-Batfamily/vigilante mayor always seems inevitable in this kind of fiction o_O.

It is really nice to finally see Dick after he was completely absent from season 1, and seeing him hanging around Babs and working with Bruce again. I do wonder if they are planning to touch on the Grayson connection to the Court of Owls, and the connection to Haley's Circus since that is relevant to both Dick and Boston :(.

Deadman posessing Veronica was kind of neat. "Socialite poise with army-brat combat training?" So Veronica actually has some military training? If only just probably self-defense stuff? She really keeps that under the radar :eek:.

The Talon being able to see Deadman and be unaffected by his possession because they're technically not alive or dead was actually a pretty neat twist :D.

The Talon having a hanglider felt like it was trying to really sell you on a Talon action figure that doesn't exist :cool:.

Deadman possessing Bruce to write a clue for him to see reminded me of the Justice League Dark movie where he possesses Bruce and leads him to Constantine...which also takes him to Zatanna, funnily enough :anime:.

It's always nice to see Zatanna, no surprise with Paul Dini, and she even wears the same robe from "This Little Piggy" :elle:.

Deadman being there the whole time Batman was meditating with that thing on his head because he looked "cute" was hilarious :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Idk, I think Veronica was miswritten. Its off that she's flirting with Bruce when in the show it was obvious they were just friends after they dated pre-show (and she finds him kinda boring). It kinda ties with the drunk flirting in the first issue 'last season' -- And calling her Veronica all the time, no use of the "Ronnie" nickname. Idk, I could be looking at that too hard.

But yeah, I'm still thinking this isn't a real Talon. Whoever stole the manual, is a copycat with some grudge against the founding families (if you recall in "Cold Comfort" it was Gotham's Tri-Centennial so it was incorporated around 1700 give or take). But I'd guess at the end of #2, Batman and co. will conclude it really was just a myth but there will be tease that the Court of Owls really does exist. I was half-joking to James earlier that the Talon will turn out to be Pierce Chapman from "Birds of a Feather" and all that in the episode was an act to get close to Vreeland to steal the manual. Then I paused.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Idk, I think Veronica was miswritten. Its off that she's flirting with Bruce when in the show it was obvious they were just friends after they dated pre-show (and she finds him kinda boring). It kinda ties with the drunk flirting in the first issue 'last season' -- And calling her Veronica all the time, no use of the "Ronnie" nickname. Idk, I could be looking at that too hard.
I maybe mis-remembering myself, but I recall a lot of light (but not serious) flirting, so it read fine to me :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Anyone else a little suspicious of Hamilton Hill Junior? Like he could be secretly in league with the Talon to advance his standing in the city by helping bump off the old guard, even his own dad? Summer's interview seems to imply Hamilton's death would ascend him to the mayor's office quite expediently. And also, most name lawyers in Gotham City don't turn out to be too good aside from Janet van Dorn. Like Dini and Burnett are using Hill Jr. instead of Lincoln March - a mayoral candidate who thought he was Thomas Wayne Jr. Ok, first issue and already 2 theories. lol.

Frontier

Staff member
Anyone else a little suspicious of Hamilton Hill Junior? Like he could be secretly in league with the Talon to advance his standing in the city by helping bump off the old guard, even his own dad? Summer's interview seems to imply Hamilton's death would ascend him to the mayor's office quite expediently. And also, most name lawyers in Gotham City don't turn out to be too good aside from Janet van Dorn. Like Dini and Burnett are using Hill Jr. instead of Lincoln March - a mayoral candidate who thought he was Thomas Wayne Jr. Ok, first issue and already 2 theories. lol.
I wouldn't rule it out. Either he's innocent and just anti-Batman or he's implicit and he's using it to drum up sympathy and is also anti-Batman...either way, it's not a good look :eek:.

Spider-Man

After re-reading the issue again I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks Hill Jr. was involved in his dad's murder. It might be too obvious and a red herring though.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Shaving my beard, and singing "Disco Girl"
"Hey, when are we going to get more information about the upcoming Garfield stuff (Nickelodeon series, Alcon movie)?!"

Me:
Members such as @RegularCapital, @Francisque and @J10 may find this interesting: the LMBTQ propaganda song from Nick Jr's Azur series populates the prides. The screenshot is taken from the 18:00 CET M1 news.

And this is the news report in video.
My prologue to the Hungary VS France Euro 2020 match (which starts tomorrow): went to the Heroes' Square today. #Euro2020
Happy 3rd Anniversary, Big City Greens

Featured Posts