"Batman: Gotham by Gaslight" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

"Batman: Gotham by Gaslight" - Discuss this animated feature!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's the Bat versus the Butcher in this bold animated feature from Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment! Discuss the animated feature, the bonus features - all of it - right here!

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: January 23, 2018 - Digital; February 6, 2018 - Blu-ray/DVD

Synopsis: Batman: Gotham By Gaslight takes place at the turn of the century as America’s continued industrial revolution is to be showcased at a World’s Fair hosted by Gotham City. But while the world prepares to witness the glittery glory of Gotham’s technological advances, there is a killer loose in the city’s darkest shadows. Preying on the city’s women, this killer is as precise as he is cruel. As Police Commissioner James Gordon tries to calm the fears of Gotham’s citizens regarding the butcher called Jack the Ripper, the masked vigilante Batman enacts his own detective work – with the help of confident, capable Selina Kyle – to stop the Ripper’s murderous spree. Witness a world in flames as the notorious serial killer’s controlled savagery meets the calculated stealth of the Dark Knight.

Acclaimed for his performance in Batman: Under The Red Hood, Bruce Greenwood (American Crime Story, Star Trek, iRobot) reprises his role as the voice of the Dark Knight in Batman: Gotham By Gaslight. Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter, Limitless) makes her DC Universe Movies debut as the voice of Selina Kyle. The voice cast also features Scott Patterson (Gilmore Girls, Justice League Unlimited) as James Gordon, Anthony Head (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Merlin) as Alfred Pennyworth, Yuri Lowenthal (Batman Unlimited, Young Justice) as Harvey Dent, John DiMaggio (Futurama, Adventure Time) as Chief Bullock, William Salyers (Batman vs. Two-Face) as Hugo Strange, and Grey Griffin (DC Super Hero Girls) as Sister Leslie. The cast also includes notable voice actors Tara Strong, Bob Joles, David Forseth, Chris Cox, Lincoln Melcher and Kari Wuhrer.

Producer Sam Liu (Batman and Harley Quinn, Teen Titans: The Judas Contract) also directs Batman: Gotham By Gaslight from a script by Jim Krieg (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox). Alan Burnett is co-producer. Executive Producers are Sam Register and Bruce Timm (Batman: The Killing Joke). Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan are executive producers.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Bonus Content:
-“Caped Fear: The First Elseworld” (Featurette) – Batman in the distant past of Gotham, at the crossroads of where the Gothic 19th century meets the modern age. Jack the Ripper, clashing with Gotham and its ruling elite. The documentary traces the influence of the comic book story, and why Gotham by Gaslight stands the test of time.
-Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Audio Commentary – Join Executive Producer Bruce Timm, Director Sam Liu and Writer Jim Krieg as they provide details about the scenes of Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and why this is a special project for each of them. Listen in for all things Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, and immerse once more into this dark and Gothic world.
-A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay: A behind-the-scenes look at the next entry in the popular series of DC Universe Movies, featuring thoughts from the talented filmmakers.
-From the DC Vault – “Showdown” episode from Batman: The Animated Series; “Trials of the Demon!” episode from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
Note: Bonus content may vary between Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD editions.

Discuss the Batman: Gotham by Gaslight animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Batman: Gotham by Gaslight animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread. Spoilers are also allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:
-Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Review (Spoilers)
-Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Killing Joke Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Deluxe Edition Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Year One Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Under the Red Hood Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Batman: Public Enemies Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Universe 10th Anniversary 30-Movie Collection Digital/Blu-ray Collection Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "Trials of the Demon!" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Animated Series "Showdown" Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Otaku-sempai

Surprisingly good movie.

It's weird we don't get more Batman mystery/detective movies, but this one worked. And didn't see the twist coming.
Have you ever read the original story? I ask because I wonder if the twist you mention is original to the movie.

Spider-Man

Have you ever read the original story? I ask because I wonder if the twist you mention is original to the movie.
The twist is original to the movie. I did not see it coming. It's a great movie and one of the best in the line in quite awhile. I just wish the animation was a little better.

Otaku-sempai

The twist is original to the movie. I did not see it coming. It's a great movie and one of the best in the line in quite awhile. I just wish the animation was a little better.
Well with the limited production budgets for these DTV movies, there is a delicate balance between casting, crew and the cost of animation. I don't know that the average budget for these has risen above the previously reported $3.5 million (US), though I'd love to hear from a pro who knows the score about this.

-batmat-

Entertaining movie. Didn't see the twist coming, and I kept waiting for the character that is Jack in the comic to appear and he never did haha. The friend I was watching the movie with saw it coming and also ShadowStar, who I talked to today.

Animation has some weak spots but I really liked the character designs, some really beautiful animation moments like Batman and Jack fighting in the zeppelin with the moon behind them.

Also, did anyone else noticed the extremely similar scene to Mask of the Phantasm on this? Batman being pursued by the police led by Bullock, without his mask, and getting rescued by his girlfriend on a vehicle. It was funny!

Hopefully this does well and we can see Red Son getting done.

7/10. Definitely better than the most recent movies we've had.

Otaku-sempai

Entertaining movie. Didn't see the twist coming, and I kept waiting for the character that is Jack in the comic to appear and he never did haha.
That seems to be an odd creative decision even if the identity of the Ripper has been altered (though I could have sworn that J.P. appeared in a clip). And I'll admit that I wish I hadn't read this yet.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I thought this was pretty awesome. It's nice to have an official Elseworlds animated movie. The changes they made to the comic were great, they managed to create a better mystery and added some great stuff with pretty much every main character. The identity of Jack the Ripper is different from the comic but I think it works in this setting. I wasn't really expecting this particular story twist - I figured they would have changed the villain from the comic, but it still caught me off-guard. Good use of misdirection since I was thinking another character would be the Ripper, until Selina said the same line Ivy did before being attacked. There are probably some more hints and clues in there I missed (and probably will miss again on repeated viewings :p), but it was a well written mystery. I felt that dream scene kind of contradicted some future events but I am probably missing something.

The characters were good, with some really great designs and had some fun interactions. I liked how they handled Selina Kyle in this version. Bruce/Batman was great, as one would expect, but just about all the characters were used effectively and helped make the movie very entertaining. And they managed to balance the characters pretty well, making some of them seem like they could be suspects in this case.

The action scenes were great, like the fight in that butcher's shop, the fight on top of the zeppelin, or the last fight with the Ripper. I also found it a little funny how Bruce took care of Cyrus Gold while in prison, so he could escape.

I noticed the similarities to Mask of the Phantasm during Batman's chase scene, but I also thought the last fight taking place at a World's Fair was again reminiscent of that movie. I also only really noticed three nods to Sherlock Holmes stories (the Dancing Men code, the "eliminate the impossible" quote and the seven-per-cent solution), but there are probably more in there.

All things considered, great stuff. I'll probably post more thoughts later on, but I really enjoyed this. Gotham by Gaslight was the story I was looking forward to the most out of the three main movies this year, and it really didn't disappoint. I never really thought about it, but there's a lot you could do with Batman and other related characters in this time period, I think a sequel wouldn't be too farfetched, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be an adaptation of the "Master of the Future" comic, either.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I would assume that with DC trying to produce more family friendly content for digital and DVD services as of recent, I think that (this is just a guess though) they feel the need to slash the budget of the teen/adult DVD line that started quite a long time ago. I mean, when this line started back in 2007, they were the only ones producing non-TV content for DC. Now with the rise of the family friendly content like the Lego DC Movies and the DC Superhero Girls movies, as well as teen/adult skewing projects like Vixen, budgets seem to be slashed for this line.

Sorry to get off track. Now for my thoughts. I'm guessing all those Scooby Doo projects that Jim Krieg worked helped him out here since this movie is the kind of darkness and cloud of mystery that keeps drawing you in with its allure.

Otaku-sempai

I doubt anyone has seen a need to slash the budgets on the DCU animated movies. On the other hand, I don't know that the budgets have kept up with inflation either.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Sam Liu recently had this to say regarding the budgets. It seems that they have gone up for the DTV's (accounting for inflation), but obviously it's not a significant increase as they struggle at times.

It also seems to suggest that a larger budget can be allocated to projects like this, which needs more manpower to create entirely new backgrounds, props, character models, etc. As opposed to Batman and Harley or Scooby/Batman that can simply pull from stock.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my review up soon. Loved the film overall.

Otaku-sempai

Sam Liu recently had this to say regarding the budgets. It seems that they have gone up for the DTV's (accounting for inflation), but obviously it's not a significant increase as they struggle at times.
Thanks for that, though I wouldn't mind some hard numbers if anyone knowledgeable is at liberty to provide them. The last I knew, the average budget for these was being given as approximately $3.5 million (US).

Troy Troodon

I thought it was an interesting movie, and while I was skeptical at first, I think this movie did warrant an R-rating. (though I think it was more for the sex than the violence considering how contradictory the MPAA system is) Only problem I did have was the ending.

Was the reveal that Gordon was Jack unexpected? Yeah but I wouldn't call it a good twist. We were never given any clues through out the film for the audience to pick up and try and stitch together, or even make sense of when the reveal does come; it's just there; and when the reveal came we weren't given a full backstory to the antagonist's background as to how he developed this archaic mindset; like was he religiously abused? Or was it something he picked up from growing up in the slums?! And what about Harvey? Where's his end in the story?! This film seems to have been building up his own arch but we didn't get that, and if anything the Two-Face deal was given to Barbara to an extent. Why?! In fact, even if Gordon was Jack, then what was the point of his nightmare of loosing the woman he's supposedly loved and cared for, and his standing ovation for the law?! And the film just ends with The World of Tomorrow Burning?! Okay, but what happens afterward. Sure they end on what Bats said earlier "We'll build something new... something better." But that's just vague in my opinion. Like what happens to Harvey? Or who will be the new commissioner? What happens to Barbara? Or how will the case of the murders and Jack/Gordon all be resolved? Will Bruce still be on the run? Will he continue to be sought after, particularly as Batman along with Selina and the three birds?

I'm sorry but the more I look back at that ending and the reveal of the villain and motif of several characters, the more questions I find myself asking then answers I'm given!

I don't think it's a bad movie at all, but it does leave me unsatisfied to an extent. The animation was still good, as was the voice acting; Bruce Greenwood in particular still does a great job as Bruce/Bats, and Jennifer Carpenter I thought made a pretty good Selina.

Over all I give this film 7/10 stars.

Otaku-sempai

I probably won't see this until the Blu-ray becomes available. Now that I have learned about the alteration of the identity of the Ripper, though, I hope that the movie's set up explains how this Jack was able to be active in London before relocating to Gotham City in the U.S.A.

ShadowStar

Anyone who didn’t see the revelation of the Ripper’s true identity coming has clearly not watched enough murder mysteries! Going to go into SPOILERS now...

Firstly, Gordon was the only character with the right build. When he was walking side by side with Bruce Wayne and Leslie Thompkins at the World’s Fair, he looked more muscular than Wayne. Secondly, the whole part where Gordon woke from his nightmare about the Ripper Killing Barbara and her comforting him as he’d been working late hours was highly suspicious. The music in that scene had a somber quality, as though to suggest that Jim was a noble man and simply a well-meaning officer of the law, but I did not rule out the possibility that the whole scene was misdirection and that the musical score was playing with audience’s expectations as to what was really going on. Gordon had already spoken about his desire to clean up Gotham’s streets in passing to Selina at the World’s Fair preview after all, so I was intrigued by the film’s fixation on this aspect of his character. Thirdly, Batman said that the Ripper was left-handed and we then cut to a shot of Gordon holding his mug in his right hand. I mean, come on. Were people really fooled by that? Fourthly, Bullock explicitly mentioned Gordon’s very sudden arrival on the scene as Batman was being pursued by the police following the blimp battle. So there was another clue. Even though Gordon insisted that Batman had an alibi for the first murder, I still wasn’t swayed from thinking it was him (the guilty party in a murder mystery usually plays those kind of mind games). Otherwise, little things seemed to tally with my theory that Gordon was the Ripper, like his prominent position at the graveside during Leslie’s funeral (I figured they were going for some major dramatic irony there) and his long, cold gaze after Bruce was taken away by the police. Proud to say that I had him pegged from the World’s Fair preview scene!

Troy Troodon

Anyone who didn’t see the revelation of the Ripper’s true identity coming has clearly not watched enough murder mysteries! Going to go into SPOILERS now...

Firstly, Gordon was the only character with the right build. When he was walking side by side with Bruce Wayne and Leslie Thompkins at the World’s Fair, he looked more muscular than Wayne. Secondly, the whole part where Gordon woke from his nightmare about the Ripper Killing Barbara and her comforting him as he’d been working late hours was highly suspicious. The music in that scene had a somber quality, as though to suggest that Jim was a noble man and simply a well-meaning officer of the law, but I did not rule out the possibility that the whole scene was misdirection and that the musical score was playing with audience’s expectations as to what was really going on. Gordon had already spoken about his desire to clean up Gotham’s streets in passing to Selina at the World’s Fair preview after all, so I was intrigued by the film’s fixation on this aspect of his character. Thirdly, Batman said that the Ripper was left-handed and we then cut to a shot of Gordon holding his mug in his right hand. I mean, come on. Were people really fooled by that? Fourthly, Bullock explicitly mentioned Gordon’s very sudden arrival on the scene as Batman was being pursued by the police following the blimp battle. So there was another clue. Even though Gordon insisted that Batman had an alibi for the first murder, I still wasn’t swayed from thinking it was him (the guilty party in a murder mystery usually plays those kind of mind games). Otherwise, little things seemed to tally with my theory that Gordon was the Ripper, like his prominent position at the graveside during Leslie’s funeral (I figured they were going for some major dramatic irony there) and his long, cold gaze after Bruce was taken away by the police. Proud to say that I had him pegged from the World’s Fair preview scene!

Still doesn't explain his origins to his psychosis or misogyny; or what happens after the ending to the story as I brought up earlier.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was just wondering the other day if Bourassa would ever design for a Timm-produced movie again. Sam Liu's comment was pretty funny.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts