"Ant-Man and the Wasp" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 20.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
AntManAndTheWaspMoviePoster01.jpg

Real heroes. Not actual size.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Release Date: July 6, 2018 (July 5 advance screenings)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Directors: Peyton Reed
MPAA Rating: PG -13 (for some sci-fi action violence)
Screenwriters: Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Paul Rudd, Andrew Barrer, Gabriel Ferrari
Starring: Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lily, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Walton Goggins, Booby Cannavale, Judy Greer, T.I., David Dastmaclchian, Hannah John-Kamen, Abby Ryder Fortson, Randal Park, Michelle Pfeiffer, Laurence Fishburne
Runtime: 118 minutes

Plot Summary: In the aftermath of 'Captain America: Civil War,' Scott Lang grapples with the consequences of his choices as both a Super Hero and a father. As he struggles to re-balance his home life with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, he's confronted by Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym with an urgent new mission. Scott must once again put on the suit and learn to fight alongside The Wasp as the team works together to uncover secrets from their past.

Discuss Ant-Man and the Wasp right here!

Related Discussion:
-Ant-Man and the Wasp News & Discussion Thread
-Avengers: Infinity War Talkback Thread

-Captain America: Civil War Talkback Thread
-Ant-Man Talkback Thread
-Marvel Cinematic Universe News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Marvel's latest film takes a backstep from the heavier Black Panther and Infinity War for lighter fare. This isn't a save the world film, it's more of a rescue mission.

The movie works best when it's being inventive, and when it's focusing on character moments between likable people. The size shifting thing from the first movie has been dialed up to 11. Like last time, some of the action scenes are unique simply because of the powerset - and that's before Ghost comes in. Since FOX never properly utilized Shadowcat, we finally get to witness cool fight scenes with someone who can phase through objects.

The characters are mostly likable. The scenes between Scott and his daughter are just too precious, and Scott and Hope have better chemistry in this film. Hank Pym's dry delivery is still great, and Luis gets more scene stealing content. My theater sure loved him.

I do wish we got more Michelle Pfeiffer, but for plot reasons, I'm assuming she'll have a bigger role in a potential third film. Ghost is an interesting villain, not necessarily in the same league as Killmonger and Thanos, but like them, she has actual reasons for doing things. She isn't one of those evil just to be evil villains. The other villains are mostly just roadblocks.

The pacing is really fast (it's under two hours) and the entire second half of the movie is basically a chase scene (and a game of hot potato) as all the characters chase and fight over a certain object. The whole sequence is wonderfully entertaining, with Peyton Reed using every trick in the size changing manual to keep us invested.

This film won't be for everyone. It might be the most laid-back of the MCU films, and the stakes aren't super high or anything. But I dug it. It's an entertaining and funny summer blockbuster that makes use of creative powers and sincere characters.

Also, ants playing drums, c'mon, that's gold. Also, I love how no one left before the after credit scenes in my theater.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Of all the original Avengers from the first comic tracing back all the way to 1963, The Wasp is the only one we really haven't seen highlight a movie at all. Yeah there's been references, most obviously in the first Ant Man movie which also showed little bits of the character, but not a film until now focused on her especially currently fighting within the actual timeline of the movie. Though it wasn't for lack of trying. I do believe when Ant Man was originally pitched in the MCU in it's first phase there was a plan at one point to actually have Janet Van Dyne in the movie but when that movie went through several shades of development hell plans obviously changed. Then one of the original pitches for Avengers even at the point when an Ant Man movie would only come AFTER Earth's mightiest heroes assembled for the first time on the big screen there was a plan for Janet to be one of the new supporting players but it never really materialized there, thus giving room for Black Widow to be seen as the female member of the team. Of course when Ant Man was shown to be a large enough hit to generate a sequel there were some quick thoughts on having The Wasp debut in Civil War or even Infinity War but those were quickly scrapped as the Ant Man team knowing they were getting a sequel really wanted this film to be Hope's big showcase. And thus 20 movies in, the MCU finally has a leading lady as a key title player... not the first title player as that's still Captain Marvel but that's still worth commending and it makes sense for it to be Wasp, especially as that was a character really made so popular due to being an Avenger.

Yeah thinking about it of all the original Avengers, Janet Van Dyne was probably also the one who benefited the most as a character and as a super hero being part of a team instead of being stuck in her own world. You do have to remember that in the 60's things weren't as well... progressive or as equal as we at least try to make them now so female super heroes sans Wonder Woman were either seen more as side kicks or as beautiful supporting players for the guy heroes to lust after or for the dame heroes main arc to have feelings for a "certain fella." I mean that was the whole dynamic with Mr. Fantastic and Sue Storm, Jean Grey was seen as the hot alluring one of the X-Men when they first debuted, and yeah though Janet was seen as a partner for Hank Pym, her character seemingly mostly amounted to wanting to either get with Hank or thinking other guy super heroes were "dreamy". Yeahhhh even not reading much of earlier comics and shows at the time I've seen enough to know a lot of they're points especially interactions with members of the "fairer" gender certainly wouldn't fly today. However Janet actually did develop and did actually become a fairly prominent Avenger over the years, actually not only leaving Hank after he went too far but becoming a strong confident LEADER of the team and establishing a more snarky but still calculated personality. And yeah she's no longer currently leader (heck no longer currently an Avenger in the comics) but it did seem she was one of the first female comic book super heroes to really start getting more of an arc and personal story and heck even in big storylines is seen as one of the more prominent heroes. Granted before the Ant Man movie I mostly knew of the Wasp through bits I've seen of other Avengers related cartoons (promos of Aveners United They Stand, a couple of episodes of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes... okay I acutally did see the Ultimate Avengers movies as they did air on Toonami a decade back) but through research and looking through bits of comic book history I get the importance and legacy of the Wasp character. Who heck within the comic universe originally coined the Avengers name sake so get why her headlighting a movie is such a big deal.

And is honestly a big reason why I was looking forward to this movie despite the first one though being fine is still one of my least favorite Avengers movies. I think a big problem was that due to it's production Hell Ant Man felt like one of those stories we really should of gotten in the first wave of the MCU, not the second. Then again I felt the same way about Doctor Strange but at least that felt more consistent with it's world and didn't have as annoyingly unhinged and forced villain like Yellowjacket. Plus yeah even if it was a story about a mentor to another generation I couldn't get as much into the drama and the tone still felt incredibly Iron man. Still the actual jokes and actual fights were framed and you could tell the cast was committed and they had to potential to do better. And honestly that's something I felt in the trailers for this one alone which to me felt a lot fresh and different then the first yet aware of what worked that just screamed like this will be a better movie. After all now that Ant Man was established and we actually have the Wasp in action, this is bound to be a much better movie really showing why Ant Man and co are deserving of a franchise right?

Yeah it is a better movie then the first honestly as it's much more of it's own plot without any major divergences for other MCU related material and feels much more like it's own movie... it's not as amusing or as epic or as thought provoking as some of the last MCU films but it doesn't really need to be for the kind of film it is.

HUGE MEGA SPOILER AND LONG ELABORATE REVIEW IN TAGS BELOW

Weirdly enough of all the MCU films this is the one I would most point to being a kids film. Yeah okay it's still a PG-13 because everyone still swears and people do die in the action scenes (even though that's glossed over compared to a lot of movies. Seriously no arrow through hundreds of guys skulls in this one) but it honestly does feel the most like a kids/family movie. I guess you could say maybe that' due to the lower stakes or because of one of the characters being little Cassie but just the execution and feel are much more like a kids movie. I mean the main villains in this one don't blow up in some explosion or get stabbed through the heart or extinguish into nothing. You've got Goggins crew who gets truth serumed and left for the police, and you've got Ghost who just winds up getting saved thanks to Janet and co. And honestly since I mentioned the villains I want to talk about them since though nothing like outstanding or super memorable or "man this will stick with you" I actually did like the antagonists this time around. I like that for once one of the main actual reoccurring villains are just these gang of criminals who are fairly easy to take out if the heroes weren't like in the middle of a million different things. And unlike Darren Cross/Yellowjacket who was supposed to be super evil villain scum yet crazy, Goggins here seems just like an opportunist who is just trying to use this new quantum technology for his own sake and for you know this secret buyer we... never really find out about but I'm sure the super marvel fanboys have they're own theory. But I like how it's just a small crew whose biggest crime is that they have some of the FBI on they're payroll and a guy who makes a truth serum who doesn't even want to call it a truth serum to use on Luis and co who gets ultimately battered around like a bunch of times but finally goes out thanks to big Scott poking him on the boat and later being punched out by Luis. Honestly the sort of scummy charm reminded me of the main baddie from Logan but however since this movie acutally does feature heroes who try going out of they're way to not really try killing people and again are usually busy fighting someone else you get why they keep getting left around till the end. I also really like the take they went with Ghost who from the trailers I was not impressed by at all and wondered why she was a big threat but... yeah turns out she's not supposed to be one and is just wanting Pym tech to restore her own body thanks to being tampered with when she was a kid. Who is just willing to let others die if she can survive but you do actually understand where she's coming from. They do telegraph it a lot and they don't nearly play up the whole "Hank Pym is an arrogant jerk hole whose paranoia about people taking his own tech led to others in so much pain" as they could as it was brought up even within the quantum realm but is just brushed aside when we see Janet. Plus there is much more quiet and short sightness to not make her like say a... Killmonger level villain at all. But it's still one with an actual backstory and rationale who has an actual reason for doing this and follows through and heck her connection with Bell feels genuine as well and I like him having a line he wasn't willing to cross but still wanting to help her in the end and... yeah instead of just her dying they actually do make the point of having Janet help heal her and even going into the quantum realm to continue fully curing her so this is actually a case of "the bad guy had issues but was one we could work with an actually help" which... I don't think has happened before. Even with the Vulture Spider Man just saved him from dying but he still went to jail while they are actually trying to cure Ava so good on this movie for being different. I kind of wish we had a bit more of the actual intangible battles since Scott and Hope tag teaming her at the end and the constant phasing and size shifting was good action and I could of used more of it but she still worked for this much smaller scaled story.

I think another thing that makes this much more of a family/kids movie is well how a huge element is on family. And not in the "we were abused and neglected broken people coming together as a family unit" type of family but the actual "our main goal is to rescue and get back our family" which yeah I do like how that is the thing they're building up to. Honestly this also surprisingly makes this one of the first movies where the heroes instead of being more reactionary and having a lot of they're motivation based around just wanting to stop the villain which may mix with they're personal drive this is "we have a mission and that is our focus on completing it and everything else is a distraction." And honestly since the cast this time around is in a much more comfortable groove with one another the interactions and interplay do feel more natural... for the most part. I'm still not sure how much I buy the Scott and Hope relationship but I am glad that was only brought up a few times and the whole thing is more on Scott wanting to make up for sort of screwing his friends over and the Pym/Van Dyne father daughter duo are just focused on getting back Janet and how they react to seeing her. And honestly seeing Hope actually as a kid having that relationship with Janet makes the parallel the first drew about Lang and Pym's family make much more sense even if parts of it still felt a bit too corny. Not to a grating degree but still calling the grown up Hope Jellybean when seeing her? Kind of a bit much for me but eh that was the most they went with that. And honestly I do like how it was Hank who actually went to get back Janet and seeing the two share a moment and again Janet being the one to save Eva with her having absorbed quantum powers. I do wonder if that will come into effect in a later movie since yeah if you say she spent 30 years in the quantum realm absorbing energy I feel there are certain story possibilities you can do with that but obviously other stories have to be covered first like you know the whole Thanos snapping away half the universe. Which yeah is what the movie ends with (sans end... end credit showing the ant still drumming which would of been funnier if the trailer hadn't shown that bit) which mans feels so tonally different from like 95% of the rest of the movie. Even when you had talk of Ava's parents dying and her trained to be this assassin it still felt just more base sad then horrifying or just plain empty but that whole ending with the entire crew disappearing while Scott's in the quantum realm did have a really sour ending that... honestly I'm glad the next movie Captain Marvel takes place in the 90's where they can't do that again as yeah that sort of thing only works once well repeated. Also weird everyone disappeared there when it was supposed to be half but honestly having just seen an entire movie about the family reuniting I guess having one or two disappear would of just felt off so I could see why it was all. Do hope that means in Avengers 4 when things are restored (since you know there will be) we have a scene of the Pyms and Van Dyne interacting with other Avengers and it's not just Scott who does. But in the rest of this movie the family dynamic does work well. I really do buy the Scott/Cassie relationship and thought it was cute she was referring to herself being his partner and how it ended finally letting her shrink albeit in a very safe controlled environment.

Speaking of jokes though honestly I think Ragnarok and even Infinity War had better ones, there were still some good chuckle worthy bits here. I liked the maze that Scott built for Cassie and Luis helping/interrupting it and later telling Wu "hey you try entertaining a kid under house arrest" and then later telling Wu ho terrible he as at talking to children when he tries explaining the Sovokia accords, Maggie having to constantly reminded by her new husband the accords allow them to constantly break in if there is an issue and her calling them them "frequently bothering invaders", Scott realizing his whole "dream" in that message he left to Hank and Hope sounded weird and trying to retract it, the various bin where they have the rotating array of different cars to use, "hey can I have one of those altiods?" "No", Hope hiding in the chandelier and Goggins reacting to her as Wasp and then when Ghost came in, Scott getting annoyed at Luis cutting corners on his desk in Luis's effort to be a better boss/hiding the company isn't doing that well, the scenes of Jimmy Wu actually trying that close up Magic Scott was using, Foster admitting how much hates Hank to Wu and that being enough to get him off of Wu's back, Scott going "oh I thought you were cool" to Bill when he finds he's working with Ghost, the times the giant ants swarm around Bill and attempt to chomp at him, Scott having issues with the belt in school and later by the ocean and grumbling out his frustrations about it, Hope actually having to contain laughing at him at one point during that, Kurt and Dale admitting Luis takes forever to get to the point of his story and Goggins having to remind Luis to get to where Scott physically is not emotionally, Scott realizing that when Janet took over him he was still squeezing Hank's hand (I admit that entire scene in the wrong hands just could of felt forced and off but in this established world and with these guys it actually did work), Wu actually hesistating a moment thinking Scott was seriously sick in the bathroom, The whole 2A plan with Ghost (that bit was spoiled in an ad but still really funny in presentation so had to mention it), Luis getting another car and thanking Hank for the whole shrinking cars invention, Hope at one point shrinking one of the guy's motorcycles so he could no longer ride it (kind of wish we saw more of that since that was like also one of the coolest uses of shrinking to size changing ever), Scott leaving the suit behind at giant size, Scott thinking Jimmy was asking him out to dinner and Jimmy actually attempting that and the barbs at the end before you know the whole tonal whiplash thing with the effects of the Infinity Gauntlet snapping.

Honestly I also liked a ton of other little moments in this as well. Honestly though Scott isn't my favorite MCU character or anything I do like how he seems like the most genuinely normal guy even in this movie amiss the sea of high tech geniuses and action heroines he just seems the most average which really does work for this kind of flick. The actual battles were solid and though we didn't get a lot of Hank and Hope tag teaming it was enough especially with her shrinking along side him or in the car chase or final fight to really see how they would work as a team and again probably save one another as much especially with how Hope saved Scott from drowning in the ocean. Also liked describing the quantum realm and the effects it has on one's mind and again the idea of how Janet may have unique powers now that she's spent so much time in the Quantum realm. As well as getting to see more of the Quantum realm from Hank's perspective and the flow of this one being pretty breezy. Again it's not one of the greats of the MCU and doesn't do anything exceptionally well but it honestly works better then the last movie and feels much more like it's own thing and has a kind of light kids/family movie edge that does feel earnest and earned here and make it stand out from the rest of the MCU. So yeah solid enough film that though third best of the year of the MCU films and honestly 7th best overall of Phase 3 (as this one is above Doctor Strange but below everything else) is still an improvement of the first one and worth seeing in theaters.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Seems S.H.I.E.L.D. will never run out of dirty secrets nor will it's scientists stop mucking up things. Neat way to utilize Elihas Starr and reinventing Ghost as well as Goliath. I like they weren't straight up villains since this was a more light hearted movie anyway, even Burch to a degree.

I like the idea that Eva was basically Hope if Hank never quit S.H.I.E.L.D. -- they likely would have made Hope an asset eventually and weaponized her into an assassin, too -- and even Hank could have eventually been KIA if he stayed leading to the same outcome. But luckily, that never happened. I was glad to see we got some potential allies in Bill and Eva and they weren't just arrested or killed off in the end.

One of the unanswered questions was who was Burch's client that wanted the quantum tech. I guess it could be related to Mitchell Carson from the first Ant-Man movie, who got away with the suitcase of "Cross Particles" and sets up the kernel of the story for a third movie in the 2020s.

I'm totally onboard with Janet potentially being a powerful character with her quantum powers. Though still want to know what she did for 30 years -- like was eating and drinking no longer an issue in the Quantum Realm for starters?

The truth serum stuff was hilarious. Reminded me of a similar gag on the pilot of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and X Con was probably a nod to Ant-Man's company in the comics.

Yeah, the Scott and Cassie scenes were adorable. Magic classes, lmao.

I'm on the fence about the MCU version of Jimmy Woo. But I still want Agents of Atlas to happen eventually.

Loved the new uses of Pym's tech and Wasp was so awesome. Kinda wished there was more scenes of Scott and Hope fighting in tandem but the story was moving so fast.

The insane continuity nut in me got a little worried they placed this movie and Infinity War in June 2018 more or less in-universe as AOS Season 5 was tied to the latter. May have to require some re-calculations as I had it in January 2018.

I guessing the Time Vortex Janet warned about will come into play in Avengers 4 and those scenes of Scott in Avengers 1 scenes may during filming may be because of that. It's basically an alternative for the Time Stone. Sucks for Scott but at least being in Quantum Realm may have saved him from the snap.

Also started to wonder if the quantum energy will be the source of Captain Marvel's powers. But it's intriguing this new energy source could be as big as Vibranium or Darkforce going forward in the MCU.

And the second teaser, lol, guess someone forgot to 'de-program' the ant.

Freddy

Ant-Man and the Wasp was OK. Nothing amazing, but by no means bad either. Sure, it had the thankless job of coming after both Black Panther and Infinity War, which were groundbreakers and two of the best movies of the entire MCU, but I personally didn't think that this was even as good as the first Ant-Man movie. The first movie had more modest scale and certain sense of self-parody (or at least it playfully made fun of typical superhero action scenes), which appealed to me more personally than the sequel's attempt at being more "truer" (for lack of better term) superhero movie.

On paper, Ghost was a villain who I wanted to love, and she too had to unfairly measure up to both Killmonger and Thanos, but that "something" was kinda missing. I think that character needed stronger actor, since Hannah John-Kamen was kinda just doing the bare minimum that the role required, with no extra flare. On the same token, the movie kinda wasted Laurence Fishburne. He did great job, as always, but anyone could have played his part and nothing about the character screamed that it had to be him in the role.

Perhaps the biggest sin of the movie is that it brings nothing new to the table. We already saw the title character, ants and random everyday objects change their sizes in both the first Ant-Man and Civil War, and this movie seems to have no new suprises. When they had just started filming this movie, I remember reading a rumor that there was going to be a scene where Scott accidentally enlarges a puppy to a giant-size and I can't help, but to ask why not have something like that in the actual movie? It is already a comedy and the premise is absurd, even by superhero standards, so why not go completely bonkers?

Just to be clear, despite my negative tone, I didn't hate this movie. It was entertaining and much better than, say, Ragnarok or Iron Man 2. But, I can't help feeling little disappointed.

hobbyfan

It was fine for what it was.

FWIW, the Ghost isn't the same one from the comics. In the books, Ghost was a male villain. Bill Foster (previously Black Goliath and Giant Man II in the books) was never a villain to my knowledge, and this was another example of the writers not doing enough due diligence and just throwing someone in there willy-nilly, knowing that the older fans will get the reference if the target demo doesn't.

That said, Laurence Fishburne scored in being an angry ex-associate of Hank's, and being sympathetic to Ava's cause to the point where he's risking his own career by sticking with her, even though she's been cured, or so it'd appear.

X-Con, Inc., the comedy relief crew, should be kept in smaller doses for the likely 3rd film. Especially Luis, whose schtick wore thin this time.

Scott & Hope make such a cute couple, don't they?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
7/9: Some easter eggs from the movie.

7/10: Reed reveals why some flashback scenes were cut. I recall there was that shot of Hank and Janet suited up fighting someone in tandem in a trailer. I wonder if there's enough footage to make a One Shot or something in the home release.

Last edited:

the greenman

I just saw this yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt this was better than the first film. My minor gripe is most of the good scenes were ruined by the trailers.

Pros:
The villain (Ghost) wasn't so much a villain after all. Her powers were cool to see on screen. He motivation was simply heartfelt, and really almost Pym's fault. It seemed that if her revenge cycle were him, she had the chance. Walter Goggins was kinda wasted as a comedic villain, and ironically just like Agent Woo was used as a device. However the relationship between Ghost and Foster was well done.

They really showed how Pym wasn't a very nice guy at all. Had certain shades of his past. Between Foster blowing up on him, you can feel there was alot of untold stuff there. Good acting.

Relationship with Cassie and Scott was cool. That line about bringing a child sidekick on must show Scott's ignorance of Peter Parker. Or Batman and Robin. Though we know this just might come up in the future (Young Avengers).

The after cred scene worked. Added to the "what now?" of IW. I also have to shout out the composer, as the music really worked in this film.

Cons:
Not sure I'm liking the same beats with comic relief trio. If you basically make it a comedy, can you even call them comic relief? Felt like Bryan Singer's X-Men and the Quicksilver sequences; enough already.

I said before, Goggins villain kinda sucked. Waste of a good actor. Very minor stuff for me though.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I have to say, this is probably the first Marvel film from which I've walked away a bit disappointed. I was a big fan of the first Ant-Man film. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but this is the biggest disappointment since Iron Man 2 (which I also enjoyed, but I hope you get what I'm saying).

From the instant Ghost's backstory was revealed, I was like "okay, why can't you all agree to work together towards mutual goals then?" It just didn't feel like they should be at odds. Up until Michelle Pfeiffer revealed she had convenient "magic powers" to rid Ghost of her problem, I feared they were going to have her killed or exiled into the Microverse, which would've been a horrible ending for her character.

My wife commented that too much of the story here relied on what happened in Captain America 3, not on what happened in Ant-Man 1. Which, I didn't like that Ant-Man so readily threw away his freedom by willingly signing up with Cap in that film, so I can kind of agree. I mean, "Ant-Man" is supposed to be the loveable loser of the MCU, but....it feels like he was getting picked on way too much.

You could also tell that Hank Pym had really screwed over Bill Foster in years past, so I had trouble sympathizing with Hank. That left me cheering for Hope alone. She was the best part of this film. Her, and the ants playing drums. ;)

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
From the instant Ghost's backstory was revealed, I was like "okay, why can't you all agree to work together towards mutual goals then?" It just didn't feel like they should be at odds. Up until Michelle Pfeiffer revealed she had convenient "magic powers" to rid Ghost of her problem, I feared they were going to have her killed or exiled into the Microverse, which would've been a horrible ending for her character.

My wife commented that too much of the story here relied on what happened in Captain America 3, not on what happened in Ant-Man 1. Which, I didn't like that Ant-Man so readily threw away his freedom by willingly signing up with Cap in that film, so I can kind of agree. I mean, "Ant-Man" is supposed to be the loveable loser of the MCU, but....it feels like he was getting picked on way too much.

I agree that if Ghost had just spoken to Hank and co, it could have been settled peacefully, but you have to keep in mind, she had trust issues. SHIELD apparently used her and lied to her, and apparently even tried to kill her after she did their dirty work. It's possible she assumed that Hank was in on it, since he was with SHIELD as well. Hopefully they explain Janet's powers in a third Ant-Man, but I am glad Ghost got to live since I could see her as an anti-hero down the line.

As for the second thing...I'm actually glad the Accords and events in Civil War played a large part. Some people (not me) have complained that the Accords, and Civil War itself, never really effected much (which isn't true), and this film is proof that it totally mattered.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I've been trying to wrap my head around it. I liked it and it was entertaining but something. It was lean movie -- maybe it went from Act 1 to Act 3 with a real Act 2?

the greenman

Well, the film had chase scenes peppered throughout. Even a BIG slow one across the bay. I didn't have as many issues with it as I thought I would though.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, the film had chase scenes peppered throughout. Even a BIG slow one across the bay. I didn't have as many issues with it as I thought I would though.
Yeah, I might feel different when I watch it on Blu-Ray because this movie came out in theaters on the heels of Black Panther and Infinity War. And that might have colored my initial reaction. Even Luis started annoying me after awhile.

Or how they've been 'dangling' the Quantum Realm and they maybe should have spent more time there but the pacing of the story would have flatlined.

Dudley

Staff member
Finally saw it today. A pretty fun film, and like the last one, the world wasn’t in some imminent danger. A more personal film. Action was fun too. And wow, the kill count was surprisingly low, not even the villain died this time.
That mid-credits scene. Wow. I hear Luis didn’t get dusted so he might try to get Scott out. Either way, Scott’s going to be in there for a long time. It’ll be cool to see how much he changes as a character because of his experience there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Finally saw it today. A pretty fun film, and like the last one, the world wasn’t in some imminent danger. A more personal film. Action was fun too. And wow, the kill count was surprisingly low, not even the villain died this time.
That mid-credits scene. Wow. I hear Luis didn’t get dusted so he might try to get Scott out. Either way, Scott’s going to be in there for a long time. It’ll be cool to see how much he changes as a character because of his experience there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you hear if Cassie got dusted?

Ant-Man And The Wasp

Way better than Infinity War. Fun and exciting and not too hard to follow. The superpowers were also used in fun and creative new ways. And Luis stole the show again.

Seriously. How great was him and his crew's truth serum bit? And finally when the guy himself is on it, he admits that's what it actually is.

The giant Hello Kitty Pez dispenser means the movie gave me everything I wanted for Christmas. And I saw it in August.

I love when Cassie sees the ant in the tub, her reaction is to laugh. Same as seeing Giant Man on TV. I love her and Scott together so much. I wish all kids in genre were this awesome and understanding of the heroes.

Yeah, that CIA dude definitely wanted dinner at the end with Scott. He likes him and he knows it.

Ghost had cool powers, but she did so many violent and unethical things, I'm not sure she deserved the happy ending Janet gave her. I love that the movie's entire mission is to get Janet. It's a clear, attainable goal and it's fun watching the back and forth complications added and subtracted to that.

Good for Bill Foster for telling Eva he would leave her if she took Cassie. Elephant in the room, and the movie sidestepped it masterfully just by doing that. Awesome.

I love that the shrunken buildings and cars are simply models and toys. They look totally fake and not detailed enough but that's why I love them. I think more superhero movies need to embrace the cheese. All of the reality modern superhero movies try to put in just means they can do less cool stuff. Yeah, maybe the shrunken building looks fake. But you can toss it around from car to car without costing $300 million dollars.

And now the thing I was dreading: The tag. The ending of Infinity War ruined that movie for me so I wondered how badly I'd feel knowing this movie would probably play catch up.

They did an awesome job. The cliffhanger was dire instead of depressing, and involved a sense of urgency rather than loss. I totally feared Cassie disintegrating in Scott's arms, and they weren't cruel enough to do that.

Loved everything about the movie. *****.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Sheriff
The theater I was at played Celery Man as part of the warm-up for the film. Watching a casual audience stare in amused confusion at that sketch was more entertaining than the film.

The movie was fine. Just like the last one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts