"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Vampire_King

Banned
What's with you with Funimation and their English dub of Black Clover?
it's the one show on toonami that's always at risk of being taken off the block....

probably why we have a halloween marathon since there isn't anything else they need to buy time for
and halloween events/parties are canceled this year due to covid so it isn't like people will be busy that night

it's simply a marathon to buy time for black clover and maybe fire force S2 since at this point it's very likely that will premiere on november 7th

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was hoping the marathon would be whoever wins that Toonami popularity tournament and we get something like Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Wing, or Trigun or something we haven't seen in a while.

As cool as that would have been, I think getting any of those shows for one night would have been too expensive. I'd absolutely love it if they could get Trigun or other classic anime series that haven't been on the air for awhile. With Assassination Classroom, hopefully they'll go for other popular completed titles in the future.

Plus, a Promised Neverland marathon for Halloween is pretty fitting. It's not quite as horror themed as other series, but it still has a creepy unsettling vibe to it with just the basic premise. I'll check out a few episodes since it will be a fun way to finish off celebrating Halloween night.

Reactions: RDG

Vampire_King

Banned

did toonami just remember "Oh Crap! that's right...we announced fire force Season 2 was coming to the block!"

RunoMisaki573

I wished Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 premiered instead of having The Promised Neverland go for a marathon. Besides, a couple years ago, the first season of Mob Psycho 100 landed on Toonami near Halloween. What an unexpected turn of events.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I wished Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 premiered instead of having The Promised Neverland go for a marathon. Besides, a couple years ago, the first season of Mob Psycho 100 landed on Toonami near Halloween. What an unexpected turn of events.

It seems like Mob Psycho 100 is unobtainable as they went for Gemesutto Macchu Picchu over Mob Psycho 100 or Food Wars continuing. Don't expect any Crunchyroll show to show up anytime soon. The budget cuts might have been super brutal and investing in so many originals has effected acquisitions. 2021's originals will be a huge turning point. I am hoping they do way better than Crunchyroll as some of their originals are some of the worst anime out there (*cough* Gibiate *cough* *cough* Noblesse unless it magically improves *cough*). Toonami's originals are at least based on a beloved manga and is really ambitious visually. Fena Pirate Princess looks very interesting. Toonami has a good chance of kicking Crunchyroll's butt in terms of originals so there is a glimmer of hope despite a dismal year for not only Toonami, but also anime as a whole in 2020.

DonkeyKongSong

Even if they could get Mob Psycho Season 2, they wouldn't run a whole marathon of it in one night. They only do that for shows that they are about to lose the rights to but still hope to run in their entirety (Beware the Batman, Parasyte: The Maxim). That's just running content they want a bigger audience to see into the wee hours of the night.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd love for them to get Mob Psycho season two, but running it for a marathon right off the bat would just be a waste. I'd rather see them airing the series as part of the regular lineup. That sadly doesn't look likely at the moment, although I'm sure the budget cuts are a huge factor as to what show Toonami can reasonably get at this point, but I don't think burning through the season in one night would be a better option.

RunoMisaki573

I'd love for them to get Mob Psycho season two, but running it for a marathon right off the bat would just be a waste. I'd rather see them airing the series as part of the regular lineup. That sadly doesn't look likely at the moment, although I'm sure the budget cuts are a huge factor as to what show Toonami can reasonably get at this point, but I don't think burning through the season in one night would be a better option.
Well, I know it may seem overkill, but running a Mob Psycho 100 Season 1 marathon would be the safer option. However, Toonami didn't decide on that, hence they chose to marathon The Promised Neverland instead.

Their previous rerun of The Promised Neverland wasn't complete, but doing said option gives the viewers a chance to catch up on the last four episodes.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I know it may seem overkill, but running a Mob Psycho 100 Season 1 marathon would be the safer option. However, Toonami didn't decide on that, hence they chose to marathon The Promised Neverland instead.

Their previous rerun of The Promised Neverland wasn't complete, but doing said option gives the viewers a chance to catch up on the last four episodes.

I'm not sure how Mob Psycho 100 would be the safer option for a marathon. Both series are pretty fitting for a Halloween marathon. It's also possible that they don't have the rights to air Mob Psycho 100 after giving it a second run on the block.

Vampire_King

Banned
I Really don't see Gemesutto S2 being anything more than an annoying filler show that we all just have to tolerate....

it just clashes so horribly with the rest of the block.....

DonkeyKongSong

I think another reason is that they're trying not to be too redundant with programming during the pandemic. Jason DeMarco himself said he is trying his hardest not to have to re-air Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, considering they have been run to death since their premieres in '01 and '04 respectively all the way into '18, but that's a completely different can of worms to open on a different day.

Anyway, one reason I think they picked Promised Neverland over Mob Psycho is, relevant to that statement, having just seen Mob Psycho Season 1, it would be more redundant when Promised Neverland hasn't been seen in longer and its second run was abbreviated. In addition, there's a greater chance of Toonami getting Season 2 of The Promised Neverland when it airs, so this could also be a reminder that it is there and they plan to at least try for Season 2 when it is available.

RunoMisaki573

That's such wise words. Giving the "other" Toonami shows more screen time is better for the block, even on a budget cut.

Reactions: RDG

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Adult Swim schedule confirms that Fire Force season 2 won't air on the 24th as originally advertised. Instead, it will finish the rerun probably to get further behind the dub and avoid a MHA situation.

Vampire_King

Banned
Adult Swim schedule confirms that Fire Force season 2 won't air on the 24th as originally advertised. Instead, it will finish the rerun probably to get further behind the dub and avoid a MHA situation.
honestly though there's already 10 episodes of the Fire Force S2 Dub....no way we're gonna run into A MHA Situation with that

they really should just announce a new air date for fire force season 2 already instead of leaving us to assume it'll be a week after the promised neverland marathon because things can change and it's stupid to assume something that's not confirmed

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Maybe because Toonami fans are not interested in said anime and that said anime would fare better on streaming than on Toonami?

It seems to be one of the more popular anime out their, albeit mainly with Zoomers and Millennials who just now got into anime. It's hard to find anime fans from the 00s and earlier who are really big into the show. Anime fans in general have switched to streaming and Assassination Classroom streamed over half a decade ago. It seems a lot of Toonami fans are nostalgic Millennials who stick around for TOM and Sara and the Viz and Aniplex dubs that are not streaming. Toonami has a very niche, but dedicated audience. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Black Clover gets removed and its removal gets as apathetic a reaction as Boruto's.

DonkeyKongSong

I Really don't see Gemesutto S2 being anything more than an annoying filler show that we all just have to tolerate....

it just clashes so horribly with the rest of the block.....
That's true, but think of it this way.

There was a time, during the CN era, when people though Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! clashed with the rest of the block. DeMarco himself agreed (and still does). Nowadays, people actually don't seem to think that as much as they used to, and a few have actually chided DeMarco for saying that.

Even today, some people think Food Wars! and Pop Team Epic clashed with the rest of the block too, but DeMarco hasn't expressed any regret for either (and is actively attempting to acquire the rest of the former).

What clashes with the block and doesn't is subjective. And if you want my honest opinion, likely very unpopular... on all forms of Toonami (we do not talk about the Kids' WB! version), the show that clashed the worst with the rest of the Toonami name was Hikaru no Go. Fight me on that one. I don't know what DeMarco thought of it though.

Also, I thought The Powerpuff Girls clashed with the rest of the block too when it was airing, to the point where later on I was under the impression that Cartoon Network made them air it, as sort of a predecessor to Miguzi (or the "beginning of the end" of weekday Toonami), but it turns out it too aired under their own accord.

That's such wise words. Giving the "other" Toonami shows more screen time is better for the block, even on a budget cut.

It's also a very noble attempt. And despite what DeMarco said, I honestly wouldn't be upset if they aired Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell again. Yeah, they aired to death for over a decade, but it's been about two years since either of them have aired. Plus, DeMarco has stated that he and the crew just constantly renew the former due to its popularity. If they're gonna keep renewing it, why not air it? It feels like a waste to just hold onto it and do nothing with it at all.

My guess it November 7. It probably would have been the 24th had it not been for the Batman movies (I think they only accounted for a Labor Day marathon).

But I think it's better this way. Not just for assurance of no interruptions (I think they'd be fine with 10 episodes out now, plus factor in three weeks of marathons that they usually show over the holidays), but remember how upset a lot of us were about JoJo coming back only for it to be pre-empted by those said Batman movies within two weeks of returning, and when we thought more would air some were upset about it coming the week after Assassination Classroom premiered? If Fire Force had returned on the 24th, it would do so right before The Promised Neverland marathon, and we'd get similar backlash.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Based on that new line up, look like I will tap out after Assassination Classroom until the end of November when the current Naruto filler ends.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts