C&C - Black Clover - "Go! Go! First Mission" [2/3]

Light Lucario

Staff member
LOL, Sis-con Gauche Adlai isn't going away. Sorry.

Does the gag at least get less creepy/annoying? It's so bad that it makes Asta's crush on the nun look tame by comparison.

TheVileOne said:
I think Noelle likes Asta, so that's why she acts all weird around him. Despite being royalty, she was ostracized by her own family for having trouble with her magic. Asta actually encouraged her and supported her despite rather than treating her like trash.

That's possible, although I hope that they won't have Noelle treat Asta like dirt because she likes him and doesn't want to admit it. There is some nice potential for them to develop into a nice friendship at least. They're both opposite extremes. Asta has no magic power, while Noelle has too much, or at least too much to where she can't control it. Plus, Asta was the first one who actually admired her for that uncontrolled strength, so that might lead into a friendship down the road.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
That's possible, although I hope that they won't have Noelle treat Asta like dirt because she likes him and doesn't want to admit it.

The tsundere archetype handbook says that she belittle and physically hit the protagonist in order to hide her true feelings. See Sakura from Naruto, Rin from Fate/Stay Night, Chidori from Full Metal Panic, many characters in Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina. This is obligatory for a generic anime. She'll be calling him "swine" and hitting him in half the episodes while blushing to hide her crush.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
The tsundere archetype handbook says that she belittle and physically hit the protagonist in order to hide her true feelings. See Sakura from Naruto, Rin from Fate/Stay Night, Chidori from Full Metal Panic, many characters in Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina. This is obligatory for a generic anime. She'll be calling him "swine" and hitting him in half the episodes while blushing to hide her crush.
I don't remember Tenchi Muyo! having a tsundere-type character in it. At least not in the original OVAs, Universe, Tokyo or any of the movies.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Okay, Tenchi isn't the best example of a tsundere with harems. I almost forgot that they spend far more time beating up each other than Tenchi himself. Washu's abuse of Tenchi is for science rather than anger. My memory of OG Toonami shows is getting faulty. Still, something's off when Tenchi Muyo and Tokyo Ghoul seem more exciting to talk about during a Black Clover thread than Black Clover. It's hard to find anything interesting about this show, it's like white bread, it's inoffensive yet bland.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Okay, Tenchi isn't the best example of a tsundere with harems. I almost forgot that they spend far more time beating up each other than Tenchi himself. Washu's abuse of Tenchi is for science rather than anger. My memory of OG Toonami shows is getting faulty. Still, something's off when Tenchi Muyo and Tokyo Ghoul seem more exciting to talk about during a Black Clover thread than Black Clover. It's hard to find anything interesting about this show, it's like white bread, it's inoffensive yet bland.

I think that saying that Tokyo Ghoul is more exciting to talk about is giving the show too much credit. The show provided more of a reaction than Black Clover does, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. I'd rather be content with standard shonen tropes instead of suffering through a grimdark series that thinks it is much deeper than it actually is. Plus, if my reaction to Greed Island was any indication, I may be more inting standard Shoene tropes/storylines than I initially expected.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Talking about Tokyo Ghoul and watching it are two different things. Airing Tokyo Ghoul season 3 would be a disaster. I don't exactly think Greed Island and Black Clover are that comparable. The main cast (Gon, Killua, and Biscuit) are cooler than anyone in Black Clover. It has bland plot and bland characters. Okay, I'm a little frustrated with Toonami's recent track record of crappy shows recently. Being the lesser evil doesn't make Black Clover good.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Talking about Tokyo Ghoul and watching it are two different things. Airing Tokyo Ghoul season 3 would be a disaster. I don't exactly think Greed Island and Black Clover are that comparable. The main cast (Gon, Killua, and Biscuit) are cooler than anyone in Black Clover. It has bland plot and bland characters. Okay, I'm a little frustrated with Toonami's recent track record of crappy shows recently. Being the lesser evil doesn't make Black Clover good.

Talking about Tokyo Ghoul isn't really exciting either though. If I had to talk about a show that I hate or a show that I thought was boring at worst, I'd rather go with the boring one. You might get a more emotional reaction towards a show that you hate, but it's not particularly enjoyable either way. Boring is more tolerable to me than hate.

I should have been a bit clearer with bringing up Greed Island. I wasn't saying that it was comparable with Black Clover exactly. I remember quite a bit of complaints before Greed Island even started and how it basically boiled down to a more standard shonen arc than what Hunter x Hunter normally does. Despite that, it is one of my favorite arcs in the series thus far despite being more along the lines of a traditional shonen training arc. Black Clover is basically Shonen Tropes the Series, but it doesn't bother me and has had some enjoyable moments/aspects. That's why I think more standard/typical shonen tropes are more appealing to me than I expected. Black Clover isn't on the same level as anything from Hunter x Hunter thus far, but I might be able to enjoy it because it does a decent job with its shonen tropes.

I can understand being frustrated with Toonami's track record, but I'm not trying to say that Black Clover is good. I'm saying that I'd take Black Clover over a good chuck of shows Toonami has aired. Being generic is no where near as bad as what other shows have done. That doesn't necessarily make Black Clover better by comparison, but it does make it much more watchable at least for me, which counts for something.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I understand that. There's only so much mileage that can be gained out of making fun of Tokyo Ghoul. Can't wait until Toonami gets a show with positive buzz on the Toonami boards.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I understand that. There's only so much mileage that can be gained out of making fun of Tokyo Ghoul. Can't wait until Toonami gets a show with positive buzz on the Toonami boards.

FLCL 2 should hopefully fill that hole (although it is a mini-series)

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Does the gag at least get less creepy/annoying? It's so bad that it makes Asta's crush on the nun look tame by comparison.

He's just a little over-protective and dedicated to his sister. Nothing inappropriate happens. It's not like that episode of Friends with that really weird brother and sister and Rachel was dating the brother. I think it does get funnier in some ways, and we learn more about why Gauche acts that way toward his sister.

They are both of noble birth and orphans. They lost everything at a very young age. Another noble takes away their fortune and casts them aside.

I think the point here is that the Black Bull are all sort of misfits. They are all broken and defective in some way. Yami is a violent meathead. He's sort of lazy and oafish. He's a gambler and likes to drink. Vanessa likes to spend her spare time getting drunk. Noelle is a noble born who can't control her magic. Asta is a peasant born who has no magic at all and his anti-magic power is very mysterious. Luck is a battle freak. Finral is a hopeless flirt. Even to call him a womanizer would be an exaggeration. What do you call a womanizer who doesn't get women? That's Finral. And Charmy is food-obsessed glutton. They are called the worst of the worst by society for a reason. They are the outcasts of the Magic Knights and society basically. This is a society that values magic and those of noble or high birth. Almost all the members of them are common born or peasants.

And yeah Gauche is creepily obsessed with his sister, but IMHO, if you've seen some anime with the sibling-con relationships, this is TAME by comparison.

That's possible, although I hope that they won't have Noelle treat Asta like dirt because she likes him and doesn't want to admit it. There is some nice potential for them to develop into a nice friendship at least. They're both opposite extremes. Asta has no magic power, while Noelle has too much, or at least too much to where she can't control it. Plus, Asta was the first one who actually admired her for that uncontrolled strength, so that might lead into a friendship down the road.

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. Also, they are just teenagers at the end of the day. I think Asta and Noelle are both like what? 15. I don't expect them to act like mature adults about romance.

That being said, not all of Noelle's family members are jerks, especially as it pertains to Asta.

Okay, in Tenchi Muyo!'s (OVA's) defense, the women don't generally beat up on Tenchi. It's kind of refreshing actually.

Disregarding how some of those women are blood related to him and don't let that get in the way of flirting with him ;)

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts