"Hulk Versus" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment the "Hulk Versus" Feature

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hulk faces off against Thor and Wolverine in this new direct-to-video animated feature!

Hulk Versus
Release Date: January 27th, 2009

Directed by: Frank Paur, Sam Liu
Produced by: Craig Kyle
Written by: Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost

Synopsis: Marvel Animated Features and Lionsgate will release two of the most legendary chapters in Marvel's comic book history with the eagerly awaited DVD release Hulk Vs. If Hulk alone weren't enough, Hulk is now joined by the Super Heroes of the next 2 Marvel tentpole films—Wolverine and Thor in this newest addition to the Marvel Animated Features series. Make way for the clash of Marvel's mightiest heroes, as Bruce Banner's alter-ego takes on fan favorites Wolverine and Thor in two epic, all new, action-packed animated films—Hulk Vs. Wolverine and Hulk Vs. Thor. Two great stories - one great movie! These dark and violent showdowns have been seen in various forms throughout Marvel comic book history, and the rematches have continued to thrill comic fans ever since. Now Marvel and Lionsgate have taken the two epic comic book battles and merged them into two heart pounding tales on one DVD release that stays true to its comic book roots.

Please post all discussion concerning the feature movie here! Discussion for the DVD and Blu-ray releases can be found in the links provided below

Related Threads:
-Hulk Versus Feature Review (Spoilers)
-Hulk Versus DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
-Hulk Versus Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Doctor Strange Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Invincible Iron Man Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panther Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Avengers: The Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Incredible Hulk Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Hulk Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Hulk Versus The Marvel Universe Collection Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Comments?

Note: Please keep the discussions ON-TOPIC. Also, this thread WILL contain spoilers.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hulk VS. Thor was okay, but Hulk VS. Wolverine was WAY too violent.

J!!!

You're such a little kid~
Hulk VS. Thor was okay, but Hulk VS. Wolverine was WAY too violent.
That is because Wolverine vs is supposed to be violent because they can't do that in Wolverine and the X-men
When they fight

Last edited by a moderator:

thundarr82

Mkalv, Yes Hulk vs Wolverine is violent, but that is fitting as this animated dvd is...PG 13. It is also too violent for children under 11. The audience it is aimed at is the group that read the first meeting between Hulk and Wolverine, in the early 70's. Hulk vs Thor is as violent, and Thor nearly is killed by the Hulk too. However, both Hulk vs dtv is a great addition to the growing Marvel dtv library. While Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 are great...they are trying to attract fans of Ultimate Marvel audience as well as fans of Kirby and Lee's earlier Marvel Comics. Hulk Vs on the other hand is aimed right at the older fans who have probably wanted to see Hulk Vs Wolverine since they started reading comics in the first place.

suss2it

Mkalv, Yes Hulk vs Wolverine is violent, but that is fitting as this animated dvd is...PG 13. It is also too violent for children under 11. The audience it is aimed at is the group that read the first meeting between Hulk and Wolverine, in the early 70's. Hulk vs Thor is as violent, and Thor nearly is killed by the Hulk too. However, both Hulk vs dtv is a great addition to the growing Marvel dtv library. While Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 are great...they are trying to attract fans of Ultimate Marvel audience as well as fans of Kirby and Lee's earlier Marvel Comics. Hulk Vs on the other hand is aimed right at the older fans who have probably wanted to see Hulk Vs Wolverine since they started reading comics in the first place.
I think Wolverine was more violent in the sense that it was more bloody. Either way I really enjoyed both, and it was nice to finally see Deadpool animated. And I also like the X-23 reference.

CaptainCanada

Generally, I've not found Marvel's D-T-DVD stuff released so far to be that impressive, but these both really worked, in terms of what they set out to do.

Starting out, I'd say that the Hulk is really just kind of there in both stories; he's worked into the plot, but in both cases the writers basically hijacked the initial idea (Hulk vs. Wolverine, Hulk vs. Thor) to tell some other story. In Wolverine it's "finally, we get to do an R-rated version of Weapon X", and in Thor it's "finally, we get to cram in absolutely every aspect of the Thor mythos that we have any interest in onto animation" (which, given that there's both an animated series and a second D-T-DVD which is trailed here, may have been a bit unnecessary, but it's still good).

Hulk vs. Wolverine

Basically a big fight scene. Wolverine is called in by Department H to deal with a rampaging Hulk, who has seemingly destroyed an entire town along the US-Canadian border. Wolverine tracks the Hulk down (not really knowing what he is at this point), fights him, and basically fights to a draw (this is the 70s-era version that Wolverine was created to fight), and then are captured by Weapon X (which apparently isn't associated with Department H here). This story is tied into the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, so Wolverine, Banner, Sabretooth, and Professor Thornton all have the same voice actors; also here are Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, and Deadpool. Thornton wants Wolverine back in the program, but Deathstrike and Sabretooth would rather kill him, so they stab Thornton and, well, try to kill him. Big fight, etc. The attraction here is seeing "claw people" (as Hulk calls them) stab each other a lot with blood and stuff; Deadpool's quite funny.

Hulk vs. Thor

Starting out, I'll say that fans of Thor who were expecting an epic throwdown between the two will be disappointed here; this might more accurately be titled "Hulk walks all over Thor, and so Thor has to find some other way of stopping the Hulk". I personally have never found the uber-godmoder Hulk all that interesting, but it's an established thing, so there you go; getting past that, the story's pretty good, and if you like Thor's world pretty everybody is here.

The story takes place during the yearly Odinsleep, when the All-Father rests and all the villains try to conquer Asgard because Odin is absurdly powerful and they've only got a chance when he's not there. Thor and co. beat up all comers, as usual (Thor's getting rather depressed by this endless cycle). Loki and Enchantress capture Bruce Banner, and turn him into the Hulk; Amora then pulls Banner out the Hulk (and Loki kills him), leaving only the incarnate rage (see Hulk #300 in the early 80s), with Loki pulling the strings. However, the rage becomes too much and breaks Loki's control, and Rage-Hulk is loosed and starts destroying everything. He beats up the Warriors Three and Balder, then pummels Thor to death (to Loki's delight), and heads off towards the city; Hela is about to claim Thor's soul, but Enchantress intervenes and brings him back to life, since her whole motivation for helping Loki was she was pissed that Thor chose Sif over her. Thor and Enchantress capture Loki, and Thor makes Loki go with him to Hel to reclaim Banner to put him back in the Hulk, and sends Enchantress to help Sif, who's the End Boss guarding Odin. So Thor and Loki journey thither, while Hulk punches his way through like a bajillion random guards, Brunnhilde and the other Valkyries, etc. on his way there.

As a tour of the Nine Worlds, it packs quite a lot into 40+ minutes (it's the longer of the two); both of these stories just drop you into an established world, which is refreshingly different from how a lot of these films do things; you pick up all the necessary information as you go along.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Hulk VS Wolverine/Thor is awesome :anime:
The Best Animated Marvel Movie ever
Deadpool was hilarious XD

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I enjoyed these two a lot. I love the designs they used for Asgard. I thought the backgrounds were incredible. Even the opening credits with the rainbow were great. It was pretty striking tome how everyone in Asgard looked like wood carvings, sort of like some old Viking art brought to life. I can imagine people getting confused due to the varying power levels of the Hulk in both movies. In one, he's an unstoppable force of nature that neither the Asgardians nor the God of Thunder can stop or even put up a very strong fight against; even Hel can't contain him. Yet in the other, Deadpool is able to shut him up with a few tranq darts. Deadpool was hilarious btw.

It's pretty funny that Thor and Wolverine are the real protagonists here while the Hulk is just used as a gateway tool to show a glimpse into their seperate worlds. I expected there to be a lot of bloody carnage in the Wolverine movie and that's exactly what we got. With this in mind, I had no problem with the movie lengths. What felt great at 40 minutes, might have gotten tedious when stretched out to 75. Then again I guess it would have given more time for story moments. Well this was a fun experiment.

desi

Hulk Vs. Wolverine > Hulk Vs.Thor.
Eh, these movies are aimed at fans unlike other DTVs before this one that tried appeal to fans AND the general audience. For that reason, I wasn't too thrilled about Thor. I actually turned my TV off 15 minutes before the Thor segment ended. It was very boring. Wolverine segment was pretty good, but its nothing more then an extended episode of WatX...with better art and animation...same could be said for the Thor segment.

Christo

I gotta say, I was far more impressed with these two films than I thought I'd be. Way better than they should have been, and hands down the best of the direct-to-video movies that they've done so far, in my opinion.

Movies made by actual fans of the source material ... who'd'a thunk it? :)

Spider-Man

I was really surprised with this movie. While I knew I would enjoy both movies I thought I would have liked Hulk VS Wolverine more than Hulk VS Thor but it turned out to be the other way around! While Hulk VS Wolverine really kicked butt I thought Hulk VS Thor as better because of the scope of it. In fact I may be heading out to pick up some Thor books when I go out for my usual stack of comics this week.

In short I thought Hulk VS Wolverine was a blast! It was quick and fast paced and never stopped to breathe for a moment. It just moved right along. I would more call it a Wolverine movie than a Hulk movie really. Sure the two fight it out but it seems more like an excuse to get Wolverine back to Canada so we can learn about his origin. Still the fight scenes were incredible and so violent. I was surprised at times at just how bloody it got during the movie. Some parts even had me wince a couple times because things looked so painful. But still I thought the animation was great, the story was good and the voice acting was great. Lot of funny moments with Deadpool and a lot of just great action.

Hulk VS Thor was more epic to me. It unfolded a bit slower than Hulk VS Wolverine but that worked here. I read that a lot of Thor fans are upset with how Thor is weak in this movie but I thought it was obvious that Thor could defeat Hulk at anytime but he was holding back because he thought Banner was in Hulk. There’s a few moments where Thor really unleashed on Hulk and we see just how strong he is. I thought the designs in this movie were really good too with everyone looking like they stepped out of the comic. I really liked the story and I really liked the character designs and the fight scenes did not disappoint.

This a great DTV that I imagine I will be watching again very soon. Great work on the movie!

maczero

Hulk vs. Wolverine was the Wolverine cartoon that fans have been asking for since Wolvie became one of Marvel's cash cow characters. Finally Logan is allowed to cut loose (pun intended). Lots of "stabbiness" up in this one. Also, nice nod to Logan's origin. Weapon X inclusion was a great bonus as well. Heck, I would've been pleased with this feature even without the Hulk fight. Top notch stuff.

I'm not quite as thrilled with Hulk vs. Thor. The fight scenes were somewhat boring. Although, I did like the scenery of Asgard and seeing some of the bit player of the Thor mythos.
I read that a lot of Thor fans are upset with how Thor is weak in this movie but I thought it was obvious that Thor could defeat Hulk at anytime but he was holding back because he thought Banner was in Hulk. There’s a few moments where Thor really unleashed on Hulk and we see just how strong he is.
I disagree. Sure he tried talking to Hulk at first but eventually he started giving it his all and he still almost died. Besides, even you admitted that Thor had some really powerful showings and Hulk still didn't go down.

thanos28542

I think alot of you just don't have a great amount of MU knowledge when it comes to the Hulk's power level. During the 80s, for a time, Banner was seperated from the Hulk & w/o Banner's presense in the Hulk, he was virtually what Doomsday is now, a relentless weapon of mass destruction! With no limit to his anger, he just gets more & more powerful & unstoppable. The avg Asgardians have a strength level of around 25-30 tons, so they are no match for the Hulk when at a normal ,calm state, he can still lift around 90-100 tons, his strength level easily doubles when supremely enraged! Thor is the only Asgardian asides from odin, that can go mano y mano with Hulk, due to having a plus 100 ton strength level, but unlike the Hulk, Thor's strength dosn't increase the madder he gets & he didn't utilize the belt of strength that would have doubled Thor's strength but would have left him weak & drained afterwards.

I think the only way Thor could have defeated a fully enraged Hulk is to use Mjolnir to banish him to some far off uninhabited dimension like Dr Strange did back in the day.

The Hulk in "vs Wolvy' is the earlier "weaker" version as is Wolvy, basicaly Logan's pre-X-men, FA version.

As for these movies being 'too bloody, to violent" for some of you, I suggest sticking to the "Next Avengers" kiddie dvd.

Dunno, maybe some of you missed the memo that stated this a PG13 toon with "intense blood, animated violence'. Not really for the under 13 crowd.

JeffBreakdown

Hulk Vs. Wolverine > Hulk Vs.Thor.
Eh, these movies are aimed at fans unlike other DTVs before this one that tried appeal to fans AND the general audience. For that reason, I wasn't too thrilled about Thor. I actually turned my TV off 15 minutes before the Thor segment ended. It was very boring. Wolverine segment was pretty good, but its nothing more then an extended episode of WatX...with better art and animation...same could be said for the Thor segment.

So why buy the movie if you're not a fan? I'm not a fan of certain cartoons, so, I don't buy it. These movies were brilliant, and a nod to the people who actually created these characters and stories that we all love. They FINALLY made a DTV for the fans who buy the comics that make it possible for anyone to actually finance a movie of any kind.

tedcassidy

I think alot of you just don't have a great amount of MU knowledge when it comes to the Hulk's power level. During the 80s, for a time, Banner was seperated from the Hulk & w/o Banner's presense in the Hulk, he was virtually what Doomsday is now, a relentless weapon of mass destruction! With no limit to his anger, he just gets more & more powerful & unstoppable. The avg Asgardians have a strength level of around 25-30 tons, so they are no match for the Hulk when at a normal ,calm state, he can still lift around 90-100 tons, his strength level easily doubles when supremely enraged! Thor is the only Asgardian asides from odin, that can go mano y mano with Hulk, due to having a plus 100 ton strength level, but unlike the Hulk, Thor's strength dosn't increase the madder he gets & he didn't utilize the belt of strength that would have doubled Thor's strength but would have left him weak & drained afterwards.

I think the only way Thor could have defeated a fully enraged Hulk is to use Mjolnir to banish him to some far off uninhabited dimension like Dr Strange did back in the day.

The Hulk in "vs Wolvy' is the earlier "weaker" version as is Wolvy, basicaly Logan's pre-X-men, FA version.

As for these movies being 'too bloody, to violent" for some of you, I suggest sticking to the "Next Avengers" kiddie dvd.

Dunno, maybe some of you missed the memo that stated this a PG13 toon with "intense blood, animated violence'. Not really for the under 13 crowd.

Hogun the Grim's strength level is over 40 tons. I was very disappointed when he hit the Hulk in the gut with his mace, and the Hulk didn't even budge. The Hulk is not the Blob. He should have gone flying through the air. The Hulk weighs 1040lbs, which is MUCH LESS than 40+ tons!!! And, before you say "it's the Hulk, he's much stronger," that isn't my point. If someone the strength level of Hogun hits the Hulk, he should still go flying, even though he is much stonger, and would obviously come back and pound Hogun in the long run. I just felt that the Warriors Three should have been able to get some good licks in on the Hulk before he took them down. Sheesh, Sif gave the Hulk a lot harder time than they did, and she is much weaker than each one of them.:mad:

I really did enjoy the Hulk VS Thor much more than the Hulk VS Wolverine, but I do agree that Thor also should have been able to give the Hulk A LOT more trouble than he did.

Bat-Fan Beyond

HULK VS. THOR was good, but HULK VS. WOLVERINE was great!

Jeff (The Batman) Matsuda's designs were amazing! The animation by Madhouse was incredible! The best Marvel animation done yet! This is the way The Hulk and Wolverine should look and act! The best versions of these characters ever done outside the comics! And Deadpool was perfect! Loved it! And the violence only made me love it more! The only bad thing was that it wasn't long enough.

desi

So why buy the movie if you're not a fan? I'm not a fan of certain cartoons, so, I don't buy it.
Well, can you find a DVD set that only comes with one of those movies? I wasn't too much of a fan of Spider-man either, but then the movie came, and as you can see, it appealed to the general audience. If Marvel thought your way " I'm not a fan of certain cartoons, so, I don't buy it", then their readership would be zero. You are not born a fan of something, you become one...and my point was that if you are not a fan of Thor, this movie does nothing to make you one.

I am not the Nostalgia critic. I don't watch it just so I can insult it. I gave it a chance. I was hoping I could get into it. But with this feature, Marvel is doing what DC has been doing with their DTV features from the start (Superman|Doomsday): appeal to the readers more then the general audience. So, with this feature, it seems, Marvel is done playing catch-up. So, if you don't know Thor, Wolverine, or the Hulk at all, you'll be confused as hell.

PS. who said I bought the movie?

Mod edit: Please watch your language.

Last edited by a moderator:

suss2it

Well, can you find a DVD set that only comes with one of those movies? I wasn't too much of a fan of Spider-man either, but then the movie came, and as you can see, it appealed to the general audience. If Marvel thought your way " I'm not a fan of certain cartoons, so, I don't buy it", then their readership would be zero. You are not born a fan of something, you become one...and my point was that if you are not a fan of Thor, this movie does nothing to make you one.

I am not the Nostalgia critic. I don't watch it just so I can insult it. I gave it a chance. I was hoping I could get into it. But with this feature, Marvel is doing what DC has been doing with their DTV features from the start (Superman|Doomsday): appeal to the readers more then the general audience. So, with this feature, it seems, Marvel is done playing catch-up. So, if you don't know Thor, Wolverine, or the Hulk at all, you'll be confused as ****.

PS. who said I bought the movie?
The last five Marvel DTVs where directed at a more "general audience" so I don't see what the problem is to have one or two directed at the "core" fans.

And PS no-one said you bought the movie.

chator

Can someone tell me....

Can someone tell me does Steve Blum do the voice of Wolverine on the Hulk Vs release? Also who wrote the story/script? I basically want to know if its the same crew behind "Wolverine and the X-men".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts