"The Incredible Hulk" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

• Total voters

Ahiru-kun

I can't think of anything to really add. It was a pretty great film although it suffers from unnecessary dragging like most Marvel movies.

I'm little confused about the final battle. Why did the Hulk let Blonsky live? Is he just going to go away quietly after almost getting strangled to death?

FireWarrior

The Ultimate Warrior
Question: What was up in the final shot before the Tony Stark tag where Banner is in the cabin in B.C. doing the meditation thing when suddenly his eyes go Gamma Green as if he's going to Hulk out, but instead he's smiling? :confused:

Actually the director Louis Leterrier purposedly made that scene ambiguous. He wanted the fans to decide whether Banner managed to control the Hulk or succumbed to the temptation and become a menace.

MarineCorps

I'm little confused about the final battle. Why did the Hulk let Blonsky live? Is he just going to go away quietly after almost getting strangled to death?

IMO that was an exchange. He gave General Ross the sample he wanted from Banner. Ross has no need to chase him anymore.

EroSennin

The Frog Hermit
I liked it alot, It wasnt as good as Iron Man but not many movies can me but was a step up form the original movie. Man there was alot of cameos in this movie. Stan Lee (as always) as the victim of gamma poisoning from the coke bottle. Lou Ferrigno as the campus guard. Plus all the others mentioned.

The pace and strength of the story got me so pumped I actually thought that "Mr. Blue" was Reed Richards. Weird? You could say so. I'm just wondering if anyone else jumped the gun like that.

Yea i was thinking Mr. Fantastic or Beast but knew the chances of either one of those were slim to none because of their involvement with other franchises. I definitely wasn't expecting The Leader.

The fight scenes between hulk and abomination were pretty good. I especially like The Hulk ripping the cop car in two and beating him down with it.

Right before I entered the theater the ushers were handing out surveys. Half to be filled out before and half after. After the movie when they collected them we all got a nice Hulk poster for free. First time Ive seen a survey done.

Tash

So how are they going to tie in the super-soldier serum for Captain America (from the 40s) when the movie made it seem like Banner's experiments were some of the first towards creating it? Or did I just not get that?

Can someone recap Stark's cameo though. We had some annoying girls in my theater who talked (loudly) throughout the ending ("who's that?" "That's IRON MAN, idiot" "LOL!" etc) :sweat:
Here's a transcription of the scene. It should answer your first question, too.
Stark: Ah, the smell of stale beer and defeat. You know, I hate to say "I told you so", general, but that super soldier program WAS put on ice for a reason. I've always felt that hardware was much more reliable...

Ross: Stark

Stark: General

Ross: You always wear such nice suits...

Stark: Touche. I hear you have an unusual problem.

Ross: You should talk.

Stark: You should listen. What if I told you we were putting a team together?

Ross: Who's "we"?

(Stark looks like he's about to say something, but then the credits start)

silverwings

Ronin of Light
Here's a transcription of the scene. It should answer your first question, too.
Stark: Ah, the smell of stale beer and defeat. You know, I hate to say "I told you so", general, but that super soldier program WAS put on ice for a reason. I've always felt that hardware was much more reliable...

Ross: Stark

Stark: General

Ross: You always wear such nice suits...

Stark: Touche. I hear you have an unusual problem.

Ross: You should talk.

Stark: You should listen. What if I told you we were putting a team together?

Ross: Who's "we"?

(Stark looks like he's about to say something, but then the credits start)

Thanks!

Put on ice? I assume that's a tongue-and-cheak reference to Cap's current location? (I heard there was a scene cut where Banner stumbles upon his location in the artic?)

Tinytooncrazy

Just got back from seeing it , I really enjoyed it much better then 2003 verison , there was plenty of action , lots of hidden comic refernces and the cameos were great. The abomnation was a great villain and the teasing of whose going to the next Hulk villain.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
It was all right, but it was no Iron Man or Spider Man. Maybe it's because the Hulk himself doesn't appeal to me. The ideas of beauty & the best and the misunderstood monster are classic themes but, of course, not new. Also the Hulk is virtually indestructible, which takes away any edge to the action...the enjoyment one derives from The Incredible Hulk is proportional to how much fun one has watching wanton destruction.

I thought Banner was portrayed well, but he was always the man on the run. It's not like other good Marvel films where there's lots of character development and change, and you can watch a character evolve on the screen over the course of 2 hours.

I gave it three stars. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I doubt it's something that I'll keep remembering and coming back to over time. It's not the movie, perhaps this was the best possible Hulk movie that could be made...to me, it probably has more to do with the limitations of the Hulk himself. A Hulk story can only go so far, and it's not nearly as far as Marvel's other flagship heroes. I would rather not see a sequel get made, I think the effort would better spent elsewhere.

Iron Man is still the king this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don_East

A regular character.
Got back from seeing it with my dad, who saw the first Hulk movie with me in 2003. And I must say, this movie is awesome.

It was all right, but it was no Iron Man or Spider Man. Maybe its because the Hulk himself doesn't appeal to me. The ideas of beauty & the best and the misunderstood monster are classic themes but, of course, not new. Also the Hulk is virtually indestructible, which takes away any edge to the action...the enjoyment one derives from The Incredible Hulk is proportional to how much fun one has watching wanton destruction.

I thought Banner was portrayed well, but he was always the man on the run. Its not like other good Marvel films where there's lots of character development and change, and you can watch a character evolve on the screen over the course of 2 hours.

I gave it three stars. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I doubt its something that I'll keep remembering and coming back to over time. Its not the movie, perhaps this was the best possible Hulk movie that could be made...to me, it probably has more to do with the limitations of the Hulk himself. A Hulk story can only go so far, and its not nearly as far as Marvel's other flagship heroes. I would rather not see sequel get made, I think the effort would better spent elsewhere.

Iron Man is still the king this summer.

I hear a good hour was cut from the film so here's hoping for a stronger cut.

hobbyfan

I took a matinee on Saturday. Funny thing. It was announced for 11:10, but after 15 minutes of trailers, the movie itself didn't start until 11:25. What a thrill ride!

What worked:

Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. Though we all know he had a hand in writing the movie (and chose not to accept an additional credit), Norton had to be a fan of the TV show. His Banner channels the late Bill Bixby so completely it was uncanny. Nice touch/tribute, too, with a clip from an earlier Bixby series (Courtship of Eddie's Father) shown whilst Banner was channel surfing.

Continuity. Yes, the movie does pick up 5 years after the Ang Lee debacle. IIRC, that ended with Banner in Brazil.

Casting. In addition to Norton, everything seemed to work. Nice touch, too, that I picked up from the credits. Stanley, the diner owner, was played by Canadian voice actor Paul Soles, who worked on the Grantray-Lawrence Marvel cartoons in the 60's. He was the original voice of Spider-Man, and presumably also Bruce Banner. All that was needed was adding Michael Bell (1982 Hulk cartoon) and Neal McDonough (1996 Hulk toon), and it would've been complete. Lou Ferrigno voicing the Hulk marked the first time in 12 years he'd done that. Ferrigno & Stan Lee's cameos were well placed, as usual, but it was weird that Stan would play a victim this time, getting some gamma-tainted Brazilian espresso. That played more like a scene from "Kolchak: The Night Stalker".

Threads left open: Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) shows up before the credits roll, as they continue to build toward the Avengers movie. We see just how Sam Sterns (Tim Blake Nelson) winds up becoming the Leader. That development suggests that a sequel to this has to precede the Avengers.

What we learned: Even though today's comics writers have somehow made it possible for Hulk to sire children, in the movie Banner explains to Betty that he can't make love to her for fear of turning into Hulk. Puts him in the same boat with Superman, doesn't it?:D :p ;)

I've always found that "Can't have kids" thing to be a bunch of bull, to be honest.

Additionally, Norton was not allowed the writing credit because the WGA had a stick up their nose.

How come? The prospect of mini-Hulks running around strikes me as a very good reason.

That would be such an awesom film to see, though. Banner teaching a son how to control his rage while on the run with him from the Avengers culminating in a huge throwdown.

*Salivating*

RogueFanKC

Eulalia!
Check the comics

That would be such an awesom film to see, though. Banner teaching a son how to control his rage while on the run with him from the Avengers culminating in a huge throwdown.

*Salivating*

Then check the current comics; when Tony Stark and the Illuminati banished Hulk into space, as he was coming back in Wolrd War Hulk, he and his mate Caiera gave birth to a son named Skaar who is a teenager and is half-Hulk, half-Oldstrong. Hints that there may be a reuinion when Skaar comes to Earth (though frankly, expect Iron Man and his Initiaitive to kill Skaar the minute they see him since the Hulk's not doing well character-wise in the recent comics). I apologize however if you already knew this. :sweat:

Four stars for me, and I agree: Eduard Norton was an excellent Bruce Banner, and the cameo with Lou Ferrigno was wonderful! Wow, I like this: how they make references to previous Marvel stuff. And yes, it looks like the Leader will be the next villain in the Hulk sequel.

I have to agree that in the end with Banner smiling, it's probably because he's been learning to harness the Hulk while maintaining his mind and conscious thought. This was hinted in the discussion between Bruce and Betty during the car ride, and plus, Bruce was meditating, and mediation is primarily used to calm yourself and balance out your inner soul and control your anger and emotions. If Banner jsut gave in the to Hulk after so many years of fearing of letting it out, he wouldn't be meditating and it's OOC for Banner who's always been respectful of human life.

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
Great, Great, GREAT flick. This was definitely above 2003's mess (but hey we all knew that). Great cameo from Stark, Lee, and of course, the future "The Leader." Funny story, me and my dad (comic junkies) were trying to figure out the significance of that scene and then out of nowhere we both yelled out HE'S GONNA BE THE LEADER!!!!!!! and we both got even more excited.

Another thing I noticed is that I saw Doc Samson's name at the beginning on the computer. Is Betty's ex-boyfriend gonna be him? Hopefully so (Hulk and Doc Samson vs. Leader and Abomination would be the tightest thing Marvel has ever done)

Two events that happened in my theater

1. When Hulk did his signature "HULK SMASH!" It's like the entire theater knew what he was gonna say. Like when he said "HULK" Everybody went "SMASH"

2. "OMG IT'S IRON MAN" from the guy sitting below me at the end and the entire theater first laughed...and then they realized it was him so they started applauding and cheering. Oh and then that Avengers nod at the end...The theater went nuts

It's always nice to go to a theater when everyone knows what's going on...unless they do it too much.

Last thing: I really wanted to see The Abomination pull out his spine and use it as a weapon but he was fine as he was. Still that would have been so cool

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It's not connected with the Ang Lee movie at all. The opening credits of the movie pretty well establish that. Basically, Incredible Hulk is totally separate continuity than the 2003 movie.

I think part of the problem was that audiences didn't get that this movie was NOT a sequel to the 2003 movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
By the way, I loved when Abomination got back up and Hulk was like "Oh geez, not this crap again...oh well...GRAWWW!"

Caswin

Threads left open: Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) shows up before the credits roll, as they continue to build toward the Avengers movie. We see just how Sam Sterns (Tim Blake Nelson) winds up becoming the Leader. That development suggests that a sequel to this has to precede the Avengers.
Don't forget: This universe's Stan Lee now has a drop of Bruce Banner's blood in him.

Well, okay, it didn't seem to agree with him at first, but this could have serious consequences in the future.

And by "serious," of course, I mean "seriously awesome."

(Oh, the movie? The word that keeps springing to mind is "perfunctory." Loved the final scene, though; hoping for a better sequel.)

Stan Lee so totally needs to Hulk out in the next film. Maybe as a 'Grey Hulk'? :p

A great film and it was nice to see so many cameos.

4/5

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts