Who Framed Roger Rabbit Sequel or Prequel

Mavericker

I recall reading a while ago that Speilberg was going to make a sequel called Toon Platoon, which involved Toons fighting in WWII, but at the time he scrapped it because he found the idea offensive, considering he made Schindler's List.

I also read they were going to make a prequel explaining how Roger Rabbit became a star and explaining how he and Jessica met.

Is there any truth in any of this or are these rumors?

judyindisguise

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/ReadingRoom/ToonPlatoonReview.htm

Ask and ye shall receive. The un-produced prequel Roger Rabbit script review.

Thanks for the link! I'd read some bits and pieces about this proposed prequel, but nothing this comprehensive. Darn, it sounds good! I'd have loved to see this film. And I really like the idea of using the Blackie Cat character from that Tex Avery toon Bad Luck Blackie. He was totally cool in it. (My only objection to the prequel, as I read it, is the poke at Disney. Frankly I'm getting a bit sick of that kind of stuff; enough already!) Anyway, I'm sure this film would have been extremely successful. It's really tragic that a stupid clash of egos cut Roger Rabbit's film career so short. Maybe someday somebody will revive him, (hopefully while Charles Fleischer is still active) and bring this wonderful character back to life on the big screen. Because his career was so brief, he, out of all the retro toons in toonland, deserves a comeback most.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It is surprising considering how successful the movie was. You think the studios that are so concerned with having sequels, prequels, remakes, and those big budget sure thing tentpoles would want to have something like this to go back to.

Considering most attempts at doing animation/live action together again have been mostly failures. Such as Looney Tunes: Back In Action which wanted to be like the new Roger Rabbit.

Mavericker

It is surprising considering how successful the movie was. You think the studios that are so concerned with having sequels, prequels, remakes, and those big budget sure thing tentpoles would want to have something like this to go back to.

Considering most attempts at doing animation/live action together again have been mostly failures. Such as Looney Tunes: Back In Action which wanted to be like the new Roger Rabbit.

What's ironic is the people who made Space Jam are the same ones who worked on Roger Rabbit.

The Roger Rabbit filmmakers said making a sequel would have been problemic. I would think so-they had to cut through a lot of legal red tape to get other studios outside Disney to loan-out their characters for this film, which is what Speilberg was responsible for.

Mavericker

But yeah, there was precedent for doing it once. Spielberg should try it again ;) .

Yeah. I read they did consider getting the following characters to appear in the film:

Mighty Mouse
Popeye
Pink Panther
Tom and Jerry
Felix the Cat

and a few others- maybe they'll get them in the sequel.

Speilburg said cartoony Nazis were offensive.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with caricaturing Nazis. Of course the context is important.

In a way, Spielberg did it himself in the Indiana Jones films. He even threw in a humorous scene involving Adolf Hitler.

Spielberg seems to have a serious "Do as I say . . ." complex. But he is Steven Spielberg.

RonDrakenfan17

Luffy fan
Yeah. I read they did consider getting the following characters to appear in the film:

Mighty Mouse
Popeye
Pink Panther
Tom and Jerry
Felix the Cat

and a few others- maybe they'll get them in the sequel.

Dude if they have a sequal and they have characters like that in the film they should have Shaggy and Scooby in there to, there big time characters. I know, I know right now I'm a bit of a Scooby obsseser right now :sweat:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Dude if they have a sequal and they have characters like that in the film they should have Shaggy and Scooby in there to, there big time characters. I know, I know right now I'm a bit of a Scooby obsseser right now :sweat:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
was set in the year 1947, many years before the invention of television, so to have cartoon characters who were created especially for the medium like Scooby Doo and Shaggy would make no sense and would completely take you out of the movie. The Pink Panther wouldn't make sense either, since he was created in 1963.

The only way that having "newer" toon characters in RR would work would be if the sequel were set several decades in the future, after television became a popular medium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mavericker

Scooby and Shaggy aren't theatrical cartoon stars.

The whole point of Roger Rabbit was to celebrate Hollywood animation's Golden Age.

Pink Panther was still a theatrical cartoon character-I read they were considering putting him in the original movie. Some of the other established characters that appeared were anachronisms.

Spielberg is Jewish-he probably just didn't like the idea of cartoon Nazis, especially after making Schindler's List.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Mavericker said:
Some of the other established characters that appeared were anachronisms.

Indeed:
  • Chilly Willy was mentioned in the film-and he didn't make his theatrical debut until 1953.
  • The penguins from Mary Poppins (1964) appear as waiters in the Ink & Paint Lounge.
  • The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, whose first short, The Fast and the Furry-ous, debuted in 1949, appear in the film.
  • Tinker Bell appears in the movie, and Disney's Peter Pan premiered in 1953.
But regardless, Scoob and Shag wouldn't have been a good fit for Roger Rabbit, since they made their debut on television, not in theaters. Putting them in RR would've made as much sense as having Underdog, Fred Flintstone, Naruto, The Simpsons and the Powerpuff Girls featured in the movie.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter

Sorry, but do you have any evidence to back up this statement? I've never heard anything of the sort. I would be more inclined to accept it on face value if he said that cartoon Nazis would trivialize their atrocities, but that's something entirely different than saying they're offensive. I'd also say it's entirely wrong, but that's just my opinion.

-- Ed

Roxas_Sora

You know what it will be a ggod story for a sequel of Roger Rabbit?. Somekind of "war" between the toons and the CGI, because these ones seem to be threat for the future of Roger's species.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts