"War For The Planet Of The Apes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wow. A talkback for this on this website does not currently exist. Let Me Help.

War For The Planet Of The Apes

Going in I was very skeptical I was going to like it. I don't like downer sci-fi franchises in general, and Planet Of The Apes might be the biggest downer sci-fi franchise of them all. So going in I told myself that if I didn't like it, not to hold it against the previous two movies that I did like. But I knew a Planet Of The Apes origin story was almost certain to end in a way I hated. Maybe the Tim Burton movie scarred me THAT badly, but yeah, I braced myself for the worst.

Anyone who's seen this great film is probably unsurprised I liked it. I don't mean great as in cinema history of anything like that. I mean solid, especially for popcorn picture. As for that downer ending, I'll let you in an a little secret. I actually like and appreciate sad endings if they are done right. If they are earned and hit right me in the feels, and make me feel GOOD for hurting so much, I love them. I can't exactly claim this movie did that (I didn't actually cry, which is pretty much my standard for a great earned sad ending) but it's in the same vein, so I appreciated it anyways. I'm bummed it looks like humanity is on a clock, and I'm sad Caesar died. But the Apes were the good guys in the film and they won, and so I felt satisfied with things ending the way they did.

Before we get to the Colonel there a couple of things I kind of feel the need to address. This is stuff that's sort of been a big part of my recent reviews of the first two films and Avatar. I'm going to say that in 2017, that motion capture technology is now acceptable. Not great. Not perfect. But it can be convincing and effecting if need be. Bad Ape is especially great at emoting using the technology and I found many of Caesar's CGI reactions believable and comparable to a fully human performance. Never thought that for a second for any of the characters in Avatar. I mentioned in earlier reviews for the first two films that the motion capture being believable isn't as necessary for this franchise as it was Avatar because part of you is SUPPOSED to find the Apes creepy, and the uncanny valley stuff is not an actual drawback for that. But it's nice to know that even if I'm vaguely disturbed, I'm still moved in the right places. Avatar never did that.

The second thing is a question out there for anyone who reads my reviews. This trilogy was billed as a reboot and starting over fresh after the Tim Burton disaster. Are we sure that's what this is? Is it possible this is actually a legit prequel to the original film series? Does it contradict anything in it? Canon nitpickers can probably correct me, but the virus mutating into making it so humans can no longer verbally speak seems less like a parallel for the first film, and perhaps an explanation for it instead. The fact that these are entirely different characters also suggests this might have occurred in the before-times. Caesar speaking in full sentences and Bad Ape wearing clothes also suggests the evolution of the Apes is not static and still on-going. And Bad Ape especially interests me because if he IS a result of the virus mutating like it's hinted at, that means EVERY ape in the world is evolved now, and that's pretty much how the Planet of the Apes actually starts. We'll see what fans more knowledgeable than I think. Truthfully, I am not that well-versed with the original canon and only have a superficial understanding of it. We'll see what the nerds think.

The Colonel is clearly a nod to Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, but what's funny and interesting is that he himself seems to know that, and is humorously leaning into it on purpose. There are very few people who base their lives and personalities on fictional characters. The Colonel's obvious fanboying of Kurtz is both funny and disturbing.

I think the writers were very clever with his backstory in making it genuinely tragic and making the viewer uncomfortable with the idea that this monster was in genuine pain. I love the question being raised, but I'm gonna disappoint the writers a bit with my reaction. Just because Kurtz acts like he regrets killing his son doesn't mean he does. His whole "You are so emotional" thing is the clear mark of a sociopath. And he's a pretty charismatic one. Him killing his son for the supposed benefit of humanity is a great sob story to convince people of his commitment to his ideals. Here's a notion: He never loved his son. If he did, he wouldn't have killed him for any reason. The rest of humanity turning on him and trying to find a medical solution? Whether that's a foolish pipe dream or not (and I think it's probably far too late in the game for science to help myself) it's actually the only real answer. And him thinking killing his son and expecting everybody else does the same doesn't make him a self-sacrificing antihero. It makes him a monster. And I love that the movie raises the question, but I find the scenario and the character a lot less ambiguous than the writers are hoping I will with that backstory.

Maurice calling Caesar like Koba was a great moment because of how offended Caesar was, and I especially like that as the movie ends, he realized he was right. But the thing is, the fact that Caesar believes he's right and understands the consequences of him going back for the Colonel means he actually isn't right. Koba's biggest fault was the inability to question what he was doing or his assumptions about what the right thing to do was. The fact is, that's ALL Caesar has ever done! Maybe he wants to go back and get revenge on the Colonel because it's actually the right and just thing to do.

And ultimately he can't do it. Whether it's because he's not that kind of guy after all, or if he prefers the idea that the Colonel is suffering more now for having to do it himself doesn't matter to me. What matters is he pulled himself back from the brink and let the Colonel make his final decision. Was it spiteful and unethical that Caesar did that? Cruel even? Yes to all three notions. But it also the correct notion, and I don't even think as notions go that it was necessarily morally incorrect. I think Caesar pulling the trigger himself on the Colonel suffering that way would actually have been a sign of weakness on Caesar's part. Him making the Colonel clean up his own mess strikes me as downright decent in comparison to what the Colonel has done to not just Caesar and the Apes, but the humans he was supposed to protect.

If there was one thing in the movie I didn't quite dig, it was the idea of the "Donkeys". I'm not saying that the idea of Koba having followers more scared of Caesar's wrath than the humans doesn't make sense. But frankly, the humans employing them at all and asking them to do the things they did, all the while patiently waiting for their moment of redemption to turn on their masters (as you know they will) is the thing that doesn't make sense. And Caesar is right that the humans obviously plan to kill them once the humans win the war. It's like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders. Literally this time.

So yeah, I liked the movie. I wasn't depressed by the end of it, and any sadness I felt was the correct kind, not the kind jerked out of me unearned. I also have to say I really hope there is never a follow-up to this trilogy because my unknowledgeable self would prefer this to be a prequel to the original movies. We'll see if canon nerds can correct me there. ****1/2.

Deleted Scenes:

Kind of a rollercoaster. I kind of couldn't make up my mind what should or shouldn't have been in the movie as these went on. If my following individual reviews seem a bit flaky or inconsistent, that's why. I'll tell you this: A LOT of stuff was cut from the movie to get it down to that 2 hour 20 minute runtime. This movie would have been intolerable if all this had been included. Overall: ****.

Graveyard:

Two biggest notes: First, unlike the last movie, they didn't complete the visual effects for the Blu-Ray release, so we get to see the actors in the cool motion-capture suits. Secondly, I didn't know Maurice's actor was a woman. But the truth is there is no reason his actor couldn't be female. ****.

Turncoats:

I think I recognize the Donkey actor from somewhere else. He looks like the big dude who plays Julius on Van Helsing. It's been awhile since I've seen that show though (it was bad enough for me to drop) so I'm not 100% sure. ***1/2.

Barrier Wall:

I was never comfortable with the whipping in the movie. If it IS as theorized a prequel to the original movies, it explains where the apes learned that. But it's tough to watch especially on animals. **1/2.

"I Owe You One":

Super interesting scene that I wish was in the movie. It might have confused things though, because with the "Turncoats" scene also deleted, the viewer won't really get an understanding that Preacher is feeling conflicted and is mistrusted by the rest of the men. *****.

"A Great Man":

Now I see why the previous scene was deleted. Sort of seems a bit pointless to build a potential redemption arc for Preacher if they were just gonna buy it back. I don't like feeling screwed around by stuff like that so I'm glad I wasn't. ***.

"Do Not Lose Hope":

For the record, remember me stating that even if it's acceptable now, the motion capture technology still isn't great? This scene is a great reason I think that. Andy Serkis's performance before the CGI is inserted is far more interesting to me than his performance after it is added. ***1/2.

Snowfall:

Seeing Steve Zahn monkeying around in the mo-cap suit is especially fun because he's an actor I know and it's fun to see him be such a goofball. ****.

The Colonel's Speech:

To quote Molly Ivins on Pat Buchanan at the 1992 Republican Nation Convention: "It sounded better in the original German." Seriously though, I think the real problem of the scene is that it humanizes the Colonel too much. And he is saying absolutely heinous and monstrous things, so perhaps normalizing the character in that moment isn't a great idea. Buchanan actually seems both less crazy and tougher to sympathize with in comparison. Come on, writers. Don't create THAT kind of character. **1/2.

Malcolm And The Dinosaurs:

This is a LOOOOONG scene and I am very glad it's gone. I did not need to know the Colonel shot Malcolm. I am happier that his happy ending from the last film was allowed to stand with this being cut. *.

"I Am Like Koba":

The visual effects in the extended scene were completed so this was a last minute trim. To be honest, I'm not sure why it was pared down. True, the film isn't any worse for the film being slightly shorter. But the pacing in the climax isn't actually better for it being cut either. ****.

Trailers:

It's interesting. The last two trailers show a LOT, but they don't actually REVEAL a lot, so the viewer will still be surprised. That's the mark of a great trailer. Overall: ****1/2.

Teaser Trailer:

Hey, Matt, would you mind summing up this trailer for me in one word? Sure! "Yikes!" *****.

Official Trailer:

Ties into the first two films via voice-over. What's especially great is that it shows so much but reveals nothing out of context. Kurtz's meeting of Caesar in the film uses entirely different audio so the trailer is outright misleading. Good on the trailer. ****.

Final Trailer:

Outstanding trailer. Great showcase for the mystery of Nova and a great introduction to Bad Ape. But including Woody Harrelson screaming "So emotional!" is genius trailer bait. If I had seen that in a theater I would have lost my freaking mind and wanted to see the movie immediately! *****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts