Tiny Toons animation thread

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
Since the other thread got closed for going off topic I figured why not start a thread specifically for talking about Tiny Toon Adventures, and to hit on the topics we were talking about towards the close of the last thread. Lets just make it so anything goes, as long as it's directly related to Tiny Toons. Lets just take a look at where that last thread went wrong before the same mistakes get made. And to that end...

PC Famicom, if you don't have anything productive to say just please don't say anything at all.

Pc-Famicom64

DarthGonzo said:
Since the other thread got closed for going off topic I figured why not start a thread specifically for talking about Tiny Toon Adventures, and to hit on the topics we were talking about towards the close of the last thread. Lets just make it so anything goes, as long as it's directly related to Tiny Toons. Lets just take a look at where that last thread went wrong before the same mistakes get made. And to that end...

PC Famicom, if you don't have anything productive to say just please don't say anything at all.
Will do.

I growed up with Tiny Toons (Mosty on Nick from it's 1995-1998 base era) as well as Animanicas (1th ture Episodes I watch were on Cartoon Network on it's 1998/1999 base era) .

:anime:

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
While I appreciate Tokyo Movie Shinsa's character designs the most, I stick by my guns in saying that StarToons had the best animation. Snappy and fluid, it had an amazing ability to convey the characters' emotions through the most subtly exaggerated facial expressions and body language. TMS episodes looked great, but the characters basically had a collection of stock expressions that were recycled over numerous outings, whereas the expressions in the StarToons episodes always looked unique.

This can, of course, be attributed to Jon McClenahan's animation style, which I adore. His scenes are the only shining visuals in most Kennedy episodes, and I love the work that his studio put out after he split from Kennedy altogether. The character designs may look a little bug-eyed, but it's a small price to pay for such genius conveyance of emotion.

Nftnat

professor/historian/chronicler
One might wonder how Startoons would have animated Fifi La Fume. Oh, they did her head for a group shot in the Christmas special, but that was it. It was speculated in a fanfic that if they'd done her body TTA would have lost its G rating for sure.

Speaking of fanfics, that's pretty much how I got into TTA, and Silver Age animation in general. I came across Wilford B Wolf's site not too long after we got our own computer, and for some reason I was drawn to the fanfics. I followed links to other fanfics which led me to Eric42's mirror site back when it was on terra-online. There I became acquainted with such as Dark Helmet and PsychoFox aka Will, although I didn't post there. I did start to post on the newsgroups,though. Kevin from the mailing list saw one of my posts, he invited me to join the ml, I accepted, and it's been carrot cake ever since.

In a month and a day I'll be celebrating my 6th anniversary on the TTAFF mailing list, and all of the friendships that come with it. I'm not going to spam, so I'll just say they're a great bunch of critters, and there's always room for another on the ml.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
BTW, I interviewed Jon McClenahan of StarToons a few days ago and brought it up to the news team. Once the current interview has run its course on the news page, I'd imagine it'll be posted and we can have a talkback for it.

Fifi Fanatic

Certified Skunkologist
Nftnat said:
One might wonder how Startoons would have animated Fifi La Fume. Oh, they did her head for a group shot in the Christmas special, but that was it. It was speculated in a fanfic that if they'd done her body TTA would have lost its G rating for sure.

Dang! Now you're making me wish that Startoons had done a Fifi episode! (j/k). :D

J. B. Warner said:
While I appreciate Tokyo Movie Shinsa's character designs the most, I stick by my guns in saying that StarToons had the best animation. Snappy and fluid, it had an amazing ability to convey the characters' emotions through the most subtly exaggerated facial expressions and body language. TMS episodes looked great, but the characters basically had a collection of stock expressions that were recycled over numerous outings, whereas the expressions in the StarToons episodes always looked unique.

This can, of course, be attributed to Jon McClenahan's animation style, which I adore. His scenes are the only shining visuals in most Kennedy episodes, and I love the work that his studio put out after he split from Kennedy altogether. The character designs may look a little bug-eyed, but it's a small price to pay for such genius conveyance of emotion.

Yeah, what he said. :cool:

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
I gotta make a confession. When I was a kid, I distinctly disliked StarToons' work on Tiny Toons. Don't take it personally, Johnny Mack, it just rubbed me the wrong. I also didn't really like (and still don't) like the way the Warners were drawn in some of the StarToons episodes, but to say something good about StarToons, they animated Slappy Squirrel VERY well. And I think Wang's stuff is pretty good. Even though their early thicklined TTA episodes needed more inbetweening IMHO, their later TTA work and (very much) their work on Animaniacs was great, and their character designs for both shows were great from the very beginning. I fact, Wang's character designs may be my personal favorite for TTA and A!. I loved how the designs looked, well, cartoony.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
I think the early third season A! stuff was Wang's best work. Unfortunately by the fourth season I think Wang really started to lose a lot of their luster. When Startoons finally showed up again in season five I was in heaven.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
DarthGonzo said:
I think the early third season A! stuff was Wang's best work. Unfortunately by the fourth season I think Wang really started to lose a lot of their luster. When Startoons finally showed up again in season five I was in heaven.
Honestly, I found most studios lost their luster the longer Animaniacs went. Just watch that Beauty and the Beast episode to see what I mean. Very little in the way of TMS' trademark zaniness, just a lot of uncreative movement. Same goes for Wakko's Wish, which LOOKED nice but certainly didn't blow me away in terms of actual animation or sight gags.

But back in the first two seasons of the show, everyone was giving their all, and you could tell.

tb4000

The music videos were the best. Istanbul Not Constantinople.

*LINK REMOVED*

Wabbit Wuv

tb4000 said:
The music videos were the best. Istanbul Not Constantinople.

*LINK REMOVED*

OMG!! I love this video! (I have the song on my MP3)

They did have the best videos. I remember the Shoop Shoop Shoop Song (In his Kiss) by Cher. Babs and all her costume changes, from Lois Lane to the bride of Frankenstein was awesome! That video made me laugh so hard!

Another good one was Yakity Yak and Do You Love Me (Now that I can dance!)
Watch me now, hey!

Babs: Make it stop! Make it stop!!

tb4000

Wabbit Wuv said:
OMG!! I love this video! (I have the song on my MP3)

They did have the best videos. I remember the Shoop Shoop Shoop Song (In his Kiss) by Cher. Babs and all her costume changes, from Lois Lane to the bride of Frankenstein was awesome! That video made me laugh so hard!

Another good one was Yakity Yak and Do You Love Me (Now that I can dance!)
Watch me now, hey!

Babs: Make it stop! Make it stop!!
*LINK REMOVED*

Particle Man

*LINK REMOVED*

Yakkity Yak

Narfpinky

~splash~
Staff member
About links...

Sorry guys, those links are not allowed on Toon Zone.
I know it seems mean of me to do that, especially for a show many of you can't get to see, but in keeping with good standing of the media companies we can't allow links to copyrighted footage.

However, links to an offical website where eps are played free of charge are acceptable -- i.e. AOL's in2tv.

Thank you all for your understanding.
Carry on with the topic.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Speedy Boris said:
BTW, I interviewed Jon McClenahan of StarToons a few days ago and brought it up to the news team. Once the current interview has run its course on the news page, I'd imagine it'll be posted and we can have a talkback for it.
Really? Cool. Did you get anything out of him that I missed? :p

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
They are both different enough to have useful information in each, though there are a couple times when he refers the reader to your interview. ;)

UmmYeahOk

l33t haxx0r Narf!
Pc-Famicom64 said:
Will do.

I growed up with Tiny Toons (Mosty on Nick from it's 1995-1998 base era) as well as Animanicas (1th ture Episodes I watch were on Cartoon Network on it's 1998/1999 base era) .

:anime:

Wow, see! This is what I keep bringing up. Other generations need to see these shows. Other generations love these shows. Even as time dated, and early 90s current event related as they were, people still like them, even if they do not understand 100% of it. The 4 year old that said "helloooooo nurse" to me last year... ...even though the show was cancled way before their birth...

I've been a watcher of TTA, ever since it first premeired prime time in 1990. Though I didnt catch the first A! airing, I've been a watcher ever since the Big Candy Store episode on Fox Kids in 1993. These shows are still golden as re-runs, and hold a special something that animated shows of today dont seem to have. (I just hope no one thinks these shows have corrupted people into believed that "growed" is a word) :D

Fifi Fanatic

Certified Skunkologist
UmmYeahOk said:
Wow, see! This is what I keep bringing up. Other generations need to see these shows. Other generations love these shows. Even as time dated, and early 90s current event related as they were, people still like them, even if they do not understand 100% of it. The 4 year old that said "helloooooo nurse" to me last year... ...even though the show was cancled way before their birth...

I've been a watcher of TTA, ever since it first premeired prime time in 1990. Though I didnt catch the first A! airing, I've been a watcher ever since the Big Candy Store episode on Fox Kids in 1993. These shows are still golden as re-runs, and hold a special something that animated shows of today dont seem to have. (I just hope no one thinks these shows have corrupted people into believed that "growed" is a word) :D

That's exactly the gospel I preach too. :) Like I say, I was fortunate enough to have Looney Tunes six days a week in some form during my formative years. I didn't get all the jokes or the caricatures (I mean, these were references from the 40's and 50's after all); but that did not take away from my enjoyment of the cartoons one bit. I got that they were ribbing some Hollywood star, even if I didn't know exactly who it was. :anime:

Which is another thing that makes these cartoons so great (and this goes for TTA and A! as well)... when you see them again as an adult, you get all the stuff that went over your head when you were a youngster and, all of a sudden, these things are funny again on a whole new level. :D

UmmYeahOk

l33t haxx0r Narf!
Fifi Fanatic said:
Which is another thing that makes these cartoons so great (and this goes for TTA and A! as well)... when you see them again as an adult, you get all the stuff that went over your head when you were a youngster and, all of a sudden, these things are funny again on a whole new level. :D

Exactly. I watch em now and suddenly Im understand more of the jokes than I ever did when they were new. I think thats white P&TB had a long prime time run. Adults enjoyed the show as much as kids because like TTA and A!, they had jokes that only their age group would understand.... ...yet it still had silly humpr that children could understand. It is very important for a show to have high-brow & low brow humor... ...that way EVERYONE can enjoy it. Usually when they focus in on just one (typically high brow) its cancled fairly quickly.

Dante Bunny

PK ROCKIN!!!
So I loved the Tiny Toons...I wish they will make more episodes and specials throughout the time when they are cancelled, I know why that Ruegger has lost intrest in that series, but I don't wanna tick off too many mods about that...I bet that I will keep that fact to myself...But if you know why, just check out Night Ghoulery and there's a sketch, "Night of the Living Dull". ^^

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts