The Huge Ongoing Thread Full Of Weird Comic Book Covers

MonkeyFunk

Kids and grown-ups love me so
Geeze, those Betty and Veronica ones are the freakiest ones in the topic. Look at their empty, soulless eyes in the third cover!

And their tiny, shrivelled hands in the first one!

Fair sends a shiver down me spine.

And yeah, Case Closed's an anime about a adult-turned-into-a-kid who solves crimes.

Anthonynotes

AngryTurnip said:
Geeze, those Betty and Veronica ones are the freakiest ones in the topic. Look at their empty, soulless eyes in the third cover!

And their tiny, shrivelled hands in the first one!

Fair sends a shiver down me spine.

And yeah, Case Closed's an anime about a adult-turned-into-a-kid who solves crimes.

Oh, I see. In "Little Archie"'s case, it was an actual long-running series of stories that was basicall Archie's version of Superboy---- the adventures of Archie and the gang as grade-schoolers (or "Little Archie" as everyone called him in the comic). The adventures tended to be more adventure-based than the regular Archie comics, thanks to its long running writer Bob Bolling (sp?)...

-B.

Geezil

Out Here
Brainatra said:
Oh, I see. In "Little Archie"'s case, it was an actual long-running series of stories that was basicall Archie's version of Superboy---- the adventures of Archie and the gang as grade-schoolers (or "Little Archie" as everyone called him in the comic). The adventures tended to be more adventure-based than the regular Archie comics, thanks to its long running writer Bob Bolling (sp?)...

-B.
And speaking of the Bob Bolling "Little Archie" tales, can anybody recall whether "Mad Doctor Doom" :eek: (circa 1964-65) might have earned the Archie crew a visit from Marvel's legal eagles?

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Brainatra said:
Yikes... uh, maybe it's like that dumb Penguin retcon about the Penguin being "an in shape and limber fighter"? :)

-B.
I think Fat Ninja was mostly making fun of him. I remember a friend of mine having it in 6th grade. You know how ninjas do the thing wherre they hide behind a thin tree and vanish? Didn't work for this guy.

::looks at Betty and Veronica covers::
My God...that's...that's horrible! 10 cents? What year was that? Is that how they tried to attract girl readers?! Sheesh! I thought they actually liked Archie...wasn't Betty supposed to be the sweet one? I guess they only like messing with his mind, those witches are straight out of MacBeth!!! I wonder what the actual comic was like. I guess now we know how Archie ended up in that shallow grave.

Anthonynotes

90'sCartoonMan said:
I think Fat Ninja was mostly making fun of him. I remember a friend of mine having it in 6th grade. You know how ninjas do the thing wherre they hide behind a thin tree and vanish? Didn't work for this guy.

::looks at Betty and Veronica covers::
My God...that's...that's horrible! 10 cents? What year was that? Is that how they tried to attract girl readers?! Sheesh! I thought they actually liked Archie...wasn't Betty supposed to be the sweet one? I guess they only like messing with his mind, those witches are straight out of MacBeth!!! I wonder what the actual comic was like. I guess now we know how Archie ended up in that shallow grave.

Comics were priced 10 cents from the 1930's through about the early 60's, when companies raised them to 12 cents. Hence the classic book about comics "All In Color For a Dime".

Re: Mad Doctor Doom: I guess not---figure the "Mad" prefix might've thrown the lawyers off, though would guess they'd change his name if they ever made a "Little Archie" (*not* "The New Archies") TV cartoon.

Some covers:

The last issue of "Batman" and "Detective Comics" during the "Wacky space Aliens" era of the late 50's and early 60's, before the "New Look" Bats debuted in the respective titles' very next issues:

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/87/400/87_4_0326.jpg

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/141/400/141_4_0000163.jpg

IIRC, the Joker one's been reprinted in "The Greatest Joker stories Ever Told" TPB. Guess could imagine the Joker doing something like that still (he set up a fake town with his "populace"[henchmen] disguised in Joker-costumes, all to set up a kangaroo court "trial" for Bats)...

Choice covers from the "wacky space aliens" era:

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/87/400/87_4_0316.jpg

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/87/400/87_4_0322.jpg

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Brainatra said:
Re: Mad Doctor Doom: I guess not---figure the "Mad" prefix might've thrown the lawyers off, though would guess they'd change his name if they ever made a "Little Archie" (*not* "The New Archies") TV cartoon.
Wrong, Brainatra....I have a Little Archie digest with a reprint of a "Dr. Doom" story in it, and he's never called "MAD Doctor Doom" in it. I wondered about that myself. (I also thought the story was rather scary as a kid--it's about Doom getting control of a giant flying metal eel and sending it after Archie to kill him. A lot of Bolling's work was darker than the Archie usual.)

Anyway.....wow, I can't believe it. Not only does the "Big Boy" restraunt icon have his own series....
11780_4_222.jpg

...but that's issue #123! People were THAT interested in knowing what the statue did when their backs were turned?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthonynotes

Martianinvader said:
Wrong, Brainatra....I have a Little Archie digest with a reprint of a "Dr. Doom" story in it, and he's never called "MAD Doctor Doom" in it. I wondered about that myself. (I also thought the story was rather scary as a kid--it's about Doom getting control of a giant flying metal eel and sending it after Archie to kill him. A lot of Bolling's work was darker than the Archie usual.)

I *did* say "I *guess* not"; maybe they changed his name later on to avoid Marvel's wrath? Granted, if that were the case, Marvel would also be going after "The Simpsons" (since Marvel had a character since the 60's called "The Radioactive Man", vs. the Simpsons superhero who has his own actual comics published from time to time...)(Shrug)

Anyway.....wow, I can't believe it. Not only does the "Big Boy" restraunt icon have his own series....
11780_4_222.jpg

...but that's issue #123! People were THAT interested in knowing what the statue did when their backs were turned?
Think the Simpsons made fun of this in a comic issue (involving the "Lard Lad" donut place's statue, in some story drawn by Scott Shaw!)

Geezil

Out Here
Martianinvader said:
Then it's more than likely that the story in your digest was a one-off (or a "two-off"). I distinctly recall at least one or two others in which his first name had indeed become "Mad," which at least suggests the change was the result of a later inter-company intervention. (BTW, one of those was played more for whimsy, as it involved Little Archie making his escape from MDD's lockup thanks to a whole lot of cases of "Icky Slicky" hair tonic.)

As to how that digest reprint still slipped under the radar intact, maybe we can chalk that up to yet another "Little Archie Mystery."

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
In an amazing Oddball coincidence (and I’m sure it really was a coincidence, similar to the coincidental X-Men/Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing/Man-Thing parallels) Jack Kirby and Stan Lee’s “Doctor Doom” first appeared in the pages of Marvel Comics’ FANTASTIC FOUR No. 5 (July, 1962), and Bob Bolling’s “Mad Doctor Doom” first appeared Archie Comics’ THE ADVENTURES OF LITTLE ARCHIE No. 24 (Fall, 1962) in the story “Robot Of Doom!” Although it’s difficult to ascertain which comic was actually written, drawn and published first, it seems that both comics appeared on newsstands at approximately the same time!

Well hey, there's your answer.

"Yipe! He's wiping out my icky sucky!" --Chester
o_O

Anyhow.....
http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/4994/400/4994_4_001.jpg
I'm not showing this one directly because I have no clue if it's supposed to be obscene or not. I say I have no clue, even though I'm looking at it, because the characters are so lumpy I can't tell if something is a boob or a tarantula. Better to not risk it, right?

It's well-titled, too.

Anthonynotes

Adam Tyner said:
...and this would be the issue the avatar I've been using for the past few years is from... :)

OK!

Wonder if Batman had "enough time to prepare" for *that* one... ;-p

-B.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today: this obviously isn't a comic book, but there's nothing wrong with going off the path every once in a while.....

It was among them anyway, and it just had to be brought to attention:

13317_4_001.jpg

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

Speaks for itself:

From Beau Smith, the Manliest Man in Comics, via his Busted Knuckles column. As if it could have come from anywhere else.

The little dancing squirrel in the foreground of the main image is what makes it really manly, isn't it?

-- Ed/Ace

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Martianinvader said:
13078_4_074.jpg

Sorry about this, but it had to appear sometime.....
No it didn't, Martianinvader, you're supposed to AVOID The Noid.

And Ace, I think it's those socks pulled all the way up that makes it manly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts