"The Fairly OddParents: A New Wish" News & Discussion Thread

kanc

ratings.. will post rest as soon as I can later find it....

Fri May 20 9:30pm - SNEAK PEEK on a nick@nite - 89,000

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I guess this is better then Fairy Odder who I tried watching the beginning episode of and couldn't really get into the first 5 minutes let alone the rest of the episode as I stomached getting through this one. And yeah pretty clear they are trying to chuck away any of the poorly received characters and ideas in the later seasons and trying to pretend they didn't happen. Still I do appreciate them actually giving a rationale for why Cosmo and Wanda feel ridiculously more out of practice due to spending 10,000 years hoping around time and space for them before deciding to live as humans as it gives more rationale for why they're doing that now then if for them it was after Timmy and also gives more an explanation for why they're so rusty. Plus this being like a generation fully after Timmy in this new place allows for it to at least sort of try to stand as it's own thing though admittedly the only real laugh I got out of this was Cosmo recalling all the times he's been in outer space and saying he wanted to go to space "...again".

The rest though is lame. I guess they are at least trying to make Hazel stand out more as her own character then perfectly sunshine do not wrong Chloe and... whoever the main girl was in Fairy Odder but she didn't really stand out as a character. Even in the original Oh Yeah Cartoon shorts they did a good job of establishing Timmy in 6 minutes to get you into him but like Hazel just feels overly quirky and mumbly like she's a modern Disney princess but without any endearing traits.... okay I guess she's better then Asha but not really by that much. Also as outlandish as hte FOP world even within regular human society is, I still feel with the other creatures they tried at least giving them an otherly feel while this one just has an ant straight up act total humanish just to deliver the obvious lesson. I also wish they would dial Cosmo's high pitch voice back since yeah he's not quite the idiot he was in the later seasons but still seems aggressively high and you know there's no Mr. Turner voice to balance it out but blah blah "nick for whatever reasons wants these shows to have high pitched characters" malarky Spongebob is still more guilty of.

So I guess not the worst but it is kind of an Avatar Netflix situation of "you have lowered the bar so low the next step up is seen as a great improvement" plus at least that I was invested enough even in how meh the first episode was to check out more not so much with this even if it is a new story. Could get better and again not awful but this still desperate cash grab want to squeeze more money out of an IP then like having a good real hook to bring this back.

kanc

It's already been a week, and nick.com STILL haven't added the page Fairly OddParents: A New Wish. Even first episode added to latest videos but STILL have "Page not found" And we don't know yet if it will ever will create a page for this..

Ace

Ace
This is like 4-5/10 in my opinion. There's things I liked about it but it being better than what FOP turned into isn't that great.

The art style is unique but I don't think it's that great but I also think the pacing is part of what kills it. The original series in it's first few seasons could get an emotional moment and it worked because it was very quaint but still took things far enough to the point it actually had stakes. The original's sound track worked well in it's favor. If the show is paced so fast you can't get any emotion out of it. The jokes don't land as well and I don't feel as invested in the story.

It's not all bad. I like how they can get those kinds of crazy expressions and poses in a 3D show and the stories are alright but I just can't get invested in it.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

According to Trevor Young, the show being in CGI was apparently because Nickelodeon ordered the show as such. I'll at least say that the CGI looks better than the 2010s live action movies. It also helps that I like this show so far.

Mandouga

That may or may not explain the 2D animated episode title cards…

Which is to say, the show may have been planned to be in 2D in the first place, but I'm just speculating…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glennbyrnes

ImBasically Timmy Turner was released and a completely different kid took his place…..

I don’t know how this show will hold up to the original one. Sure Timmy had some quirks, but the show was an absolute hit.
Is it just me, or does Hazel seem like little more than a black Chole Carmichael?

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I just watched the first episode of FOP A New Wish, and I just have to say, this new show is a million times better than S6-10 of FOP. That’s a fact!

I actually do like the animation. It has that Big Nate vibe. Hazel is pretty cute. I do like her character. I really love Cosmo and Wanda in this show. They remind me so much of the earlier seasons and I love them. They’re so genuine and funny and not being so loud and obnoxious. thank god.

Other than that, I do enjoy a New Wish.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The News Team's LinusFan303 has a new review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “The Fairly OddParents: A New Wish”: A Fairly Odd (But Welcome) Return"​

Screenshot-1608.jpg

"The Fairly Odd Parents are back! Nickelodeon has brought back their classic IP for another spin. Fairly Odd Parents: A New Wish is that new installment. This is not a reboot nor a remake, it’s a sequel series.

The first very first episode is a two-parter called “Fly“. Our new protagonist is Hazel Wells, a 10-year-old girl. Hazel has just moved to a new town called Dimmadelphia. This means she’s been thrown into a new world and the viewer is thrown into that world with her. She also anticipates her older brother to come home to visit from college. She and Antony were very close, and it seems without him she’s in a shell.

Hazel does try to take things with optimism as she enters her new school, but the day doesn’t go well for her. She decides to run away from home and see her brother. This is where she runs into Cosmo and Wanda. "

Read the full review here.

kanc

The News Team's LinusFan303 has a new review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “The Fairly OddParents: A New Wish”: A Fairly Odd (But Welcome) Return"​

Screenshot-1608.jpg

"The Fairly Odd Parents are back! Nickelodeon has brought back their classic IP for another spin. Fairly Odd Parents: A New Wish is that new installment. This is not a reboot nor a remake, it’s a sequel series.

The first very first episode is a two-parter called “Fly“. Our new protagonist is Hazel Wells, a 10-year-old girl. Hazel has just moved to a new town called Dimmadelphia. This means she’s been thrown into a new world and the viewer is thrown into that world with her. She also anticipates her older brother to come home to visit from college. She and Antony were very close, and it seems without him she’s in a shell.

Hazel does try to take things with optimism as she enters her new school, but the day doesn’t go well for her. She decides to run away from home and see her brother. This is where she runs into Cosmo and Wanda. "

Read the full review here.

There's already a recent new thread for this.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

There's already a recent new thread for this.

There are posts above in this thread discussing the first couple of episodes, whereas the other one seems to be discussing the ratings.

It seems to me that one thread needs to be made the "News and Discussion" thread and the other needs to be a "Talkback" thread. Some posts might then need moved around.

You can use the "Report a Post" button to bring that to moderator's attention.

Mandouga

In any case, after 17 stories (8 1/2 half hours) the show is now officially in trouble. According to my digital cable’s programming guide, this is the show’s last week of new episodes (on Nickelodeon anyway…). Next Monday, its time slot (again, on Nickelodeon) gets taken over by “the-show-that-must-not-be-named” Which show do I mean? Take a wild guess…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanc

Speaking of the show, starting today 5:30pm reruns are pulled for SpongeBob according to zap2it. New episodes continue today and tomorrow at 4:30pm. Afterwards, it will be on hiatus for new episodes.
Don't know when the rest of the episodes will air yet.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts