"Spider-Man: The Animated Series" vs "The Spectacular Spider-Man" - Preference?

Do you prefer "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" or "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

• Total voters

ShadowStar

Nine episodes in, I'd think it's too early to compare them. Maybe after season 1 has finished... But having glimpsed some parts of the first nine episodes, I have to say that I'm coming around to The Spectacular Spiderman.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Naah, it isn't too early to judge since nine out of thirteen episodes from the first season of SSM are already better than the thirteen episodes of "Spider-Man tas season 1", now all is remaining is to compare "the alien costume", the "chameleon" and "the sinister six" between the two shows (even as we know the insidious six arc is in season 2 of Spider-Man tas).

Sure, the arts and character designs are much better and more realistic in tas, but the eighties shows had better art and stories, and since eighties cartoons are meant for fun more than seriousness they sure don't fall as heavy as tas is falling now (except "Night of the Lizard" & "The Alien Costume").

*The current show has "Sandman" & "Betty Brant", and Electro is Max Dillon who was not a targeted complicated person.
*Currently no guest stars (B.C originally appeared in Spider-Man comics, so she doesn't count as a guest someone like Reed Richards would make).
*How the symbiote came down to Earth is more reasonable than the way tas got it (Now how would a black goo that only moved on the astronauts uniforms would hurt them so bad and jam the shuttle without going inside the instruments?)

R-Taco

Just A Little Bit Crazy
Sure, the arts and character designs are much better and more realistic in tas, but the eighties shows had better art and stories, and since eighties cartoons are meant for fun more than seriousness they sure don't fall as heavy as tas is falling now (except "Night of the Lizard" & "The Alien Costume").

More detail does not equal better. I can definitely say that it's a lot harder to draw a good-looking stylized person than a realistic one.

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
YEah, that was my main beef with X-MEN TAS as well.

X-Men EVO and SSM have the right idea, redesigning that chars for TV first instead of just trying to directly adapt comic designs.

Then again, they got the idea from Timm.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Compare Notes: The Symbiote

Currnetly about:
1. How it came to Earth
2. How it got on Spider-Man

How did each happen? and to you which of each is better: In tas or in ssm?

Anwar

I dunno, I lean towards the TAS origin at the moment. But SSM at least introduced John before the symbiote arc instead of just having him appear at the start already on a space mission.

Goodfellow

Spectacular became superior after 5 episodes. I loved TAS when I was a kid, but now, I can barely get through an episode. The animation is far too choppy, the voice acting reaks, and the stories vary from subpar to way too rediculous. Plus Spectacular has Gwen in it, and she has always been a far stronger character than MJ will ever be.

Anwar

Here's hoping she doesn't become the over-worrying mess that was ultimately killed off because no one knew what to do with her.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Currnetly about:
1. How it came to Earth
2. How it got on Spider-Man

How did each happen? and to you which of each is better: In tas or in ssm?
I prefer the way the symbiote came down to Earth in SSM no doubts about that.
The second point: I still can't my mind set on one of them.

Spectacular became superior after 5 episodes.
Right choice. But I do respect that some people consider tas better than this one. To hate ssm is what I go "HUH?" on.

Because it was crap...
Not that much to me

- The Hobgoblin before the Green Goblin.
This isn't crappy at all, at least to me. It's a wonder you didn't complain about Macendale

- Horrendous voice acting, especially Mary Jane.
M.J, Robbie & Kraven had bad voices. M.J's design sucks as well (from face to feet)
Scorpion in season 5 sounds horrible, Mysterio in season 2 sounds a bit feminine.

- 90% of the series being stock footage.
30%, not 90%

- No Gwen Stacy.
I didn't complain about that, before reading "Golden & Silver age comics" and seeing SSM I didn't like her.

- No Betty Brant.
She's my favorite lady from the Spider-Man world, so I can go with this choice except for SM&HAF

- Electro being the Red Skull's son.
Your not the only one who hate this crappy Electro, only a few liked the concept. Blech

- Norman Osborn being the Kingpin's whiny *****.
It had some good lights, but Spider-Man's most dangerous villain is weak? You have the right to hate it.

- Doc Ock being Kingpin's butt monkey.
He did much better as a solo crime boss

- Tombstone's Joker rip-off origin.
Yes he is, comics are better

- Crappy CGI backgrounds.
That's quite cool

- Super Soldier Black Cat.
It gives more sense to her being able to attack Spider-Man

- Anna Watson being a mean old harpy.
I compared her to the comics, this version doesn't qualify as a loved to see version.

- Giant "Uber Cool" Goblin Glider that just so happened to be a $30 toy on the shelves.
Aren't you a bit overreacting?

- Dormmamu and Morbius being way too prominent.
Dr.Strange and his villains are bad in this show.

- Madame Web with crazy Beyonder powers.
It's as someone said: "She made Spider-Man look dumb"
I hate it when they tell you who you are then say they real question is "Who are you?" when you inquire about them

- That lame, lame, LAME series finale.
It was fine. To me it's one of the show's best arcs

- Hydro Mary Jane!
That is one unpleasant story, you should really complain about Morrie being obsessed with "Mary Jane"

- No proper resolution at the end, at all!
You got a good point in this one

- No Sandman!
I missed him there

- Overabundance of guest stars!
Is it that stuffed with guest stars?

Last edited by a moderator:

thedanmachine

gomu gomu no custom title
whats the big deal with people wanting guest star marvel heroes so badly? i think the spider-man mythos is big enough so that there never has to be an x-men of fantastic four visit episode.

stephane dumas

whats the big deal with people wanting guest star marvel heroes so badly? i think the spider-man mythos is big enough so that there never has to be an x-men of fantastic four visit episode.

I guess since Spidey meets the X-men, Fantastic Four, Captain America and the Hulk in the comics, they wished to see the cameos of guests stars in the animated series.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member

Agreed, but in the event that they can bring in a guest star, it certainly wouldn't hurt. Batman and Superman for instance can do fine without team, but their team ups are iconic nonetheless.

But going with the usual opinion, I believe the team ups which would allow for the best character moments would be between Spider-Man and Daredevil (since both deal with street level crime and share a common foe in the Kingpin), and Spider-Man & The Human Torch (Since both are the same age).

Reg

Writing About This and That
The first season isn't over yet, but 10 eps in and I still believe SSM is better than STAS. That said, even with all its flaws, I do still like STAS.

Storm: Power of lightning, STRIKE AGAIN!!!
Spidey: Uh... power of web-shooters, get... real sticky.

Kingpin: I have looked forward to this for some time!
Spidey: What'd you have in mind, a pie eating contest?

King_of_doom

kiva fan
Hmmmm i gotta say that the Spectacular Spider-Man i like it more even for 10 episodes yet the TAS also had some good moments.

The TAS was cool. The first episode was my fav since when i saw the commercial for the premier of the show i wanted to see it so bad and waited to see the other episode since they took it so long to air it. Sure that some scenes where kinda meh, Especially with the 3D background since that was kinda lame and also no punching.

The Spectacular Spider-Man has more cool stuff that the TAS couldn't had like real guns, The action is more impresive and the interaction of the characters is getting interesting, Also the story arcs are working well, Connecting a story for another upcoming story for a future episode.

Anyway even tho SP i'm starting to dig alot, I grew with the TAS so i can't say i don't like it because i like the 2 shows.

Spider-Friends

www.spider-friends.com
Spectacular is my answer without thinking twice. It is better in every single respect. The designs in Spectacular are my only complaint. (I wish the designs and animation were as good as FF:WGH.) Regardless, the designs are still better than the designs in SM:TAS.

sdp

miscrave
I enjoy Spectacular a lot but I just prefer TAS. The stock footage is noticeable but people complain too much about it, it just works better IMO if peter is a college student, I think the villains were introduced better too and just liked the interactions more.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts