Rumor: X-Men TV Cartoon Series Announced Later This Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Well, the problem is that Fantastic Four's sales drastically declined earlier this decade

They've been pretty consistent with the other series Marvel has kept around, and they were Marvel's first hit it would be like DC cancelling Superman. Also there are books like Moongirl that a sticking around despite having the lowest sales figures in decades.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
They've been pretty consistent with the other series Marvel has kept around, and they were Marvel's first hit it would be like DC cancelling Superman. Also there are books like Moongirl that a sticking around despite having the lowest sales figures in decades.

Actually, Marvel's first hit was Captain America, when they were Timely Comics but you're right that Fantastic Four was their first hit under their current name.

Again, the reason why F4 was cancelled is because the sales drastically declined during this decade.

Unlike Fantastic Four, Moongirl's sales having some of Marvel's lowest in decades is because the titular character was recently new since her ongoing title with Devil Dinosaur began publishing a year ago and that people are unaware of the character.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

RoryWilliams

Moon Girl is also kept around because it's aimed primarily at digital readers and school book orders, where it does well, much like Ms. Marvel and a number of the other titles geared at younger readers. Some people don't quite grasp that we're in an era where comic shop sales are no longer the sole barometer of what's actually selling.

Still if Marvel and Fox were working together I'm pretty sure the FF would have another comic by now.

Not really. The Fantastic Four are not the moneymakers the X-Men are. In fact, I'd dare say at this point their villains, particularly Doctor Doom and Galactus, are the bigger draws. Keeping the X-Men on ice and refusing to do stuff with them out of spite has a much more negative impact since despite Marvel's attempts to strangle the franchise, they're still popular choices for companies who want to make things like merchandise or licensed adaptations. Notice the furor over the X-Men allegedly not being included in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

Given that Marvel and Fox are collaborating on two X-Men shows and in the comics the push to get rid of the X-Men and replace them with Inhumans has been dying down, it is not at all outside the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Just because people don't care about them doesn't mean Marvel should get rid of them they're still an important part of the Marvel Staple and history. Plus there are plenty of fans Hickman's run is barely a decade old and people still talk about how great it was. Plus the sales being down is a bunch of BS they're at the same sales level they've always been at.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Just because people don't care about them doesn't mean Marvel should get rid of them they're still an important part of the Marvel Staple and history. Plus there are plenty of fans Hickman's run is barely a decade old and people still talk about how great it was. Plus the sales being down is a bunch of BS they're at the same sales level they've always been at.

Then you may need to read Tom Brevoort's explanation (http://www.cbr.com/hickman-brevoort-discuss-secret-wars-end-ushering-in-the-new-marvel-universe/):
That said, and this is another conversation we've had in retreats and elsewhere, and I think we've even talked about it if not in these "Secret Wars" chats, then in other recent chats about previous event books. "Fantastic Four" has been one of those books that, for a number of years, has been effectively taken for granted. It's been considered stodgy, or old school, or some people see it as a thing that's there and people are comfortable because it's there, but they're not particularly passionate about it.

So we're not going to have that book for a while. We didn't have a Thor book for a while. We did "Avengers Disassembled" and Thor went away. For a couple of years, there was absolutely no Thor book, and when Thor came back, it was a huge book. It continues to be a huge book to this day. I think that absence was part of what made people cherish its return, and then it was just having great talent to execute that return. If the same sort of thing happens with Fantastic Four that would not be the worst thing in the world.

What Rory said is true. The X-Men are a bigger moneymaker than the Fantastic Four.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I think it's to be expected that the X-Men would be bigger business than the FF. There was a time when Marvel's output was the X-Men and everything else would fall under Marvel Heroes, so I imagined there would always be a big fanbase around even if it's very decreased from the old days.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RoryWilliams

The argument you were just making was that Marvel and Fox can't be working together because if they were, we'd see the FF relaunched by now, and it was pointed out that statement is not necessarily true since the X-Men have been markedly more popular and marketable than the FF since at least the 80's.

People liking Johnathan Hickman's run is irrelevant to the overall point that yes, the X-Men would take priority over the FF since the X-Men are still a fairly lucrative mass media property. That's not a knock against the FF, it's just the way things are. Heck there was a period in the 90's where the Avengers themselves were a very distant second (or third) banana to the X-Men franchise.

Troy Troodon

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie-Downer, but frankly I have pretty much given up any hope that we will ever see the X-Men or the Fantastic Four in any animated project; or at least not in my life time. :sad:

I mean this does sound promising to stand with, but given how fixated Marvel is with the success of the movies, and this touch of bad blood that still teeters with Fox, I still don't think it's likely.

Greg91

Reporter
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie-Downer, but frankly I have pretty much given up any hope that we will ever see the X-Men or the Fantastic Four in any animated project; or at least not in my life time. :sad:

I mean this does sound promising to stand with, but given how fixated Marvel is with the success of the movies, and this touch of bad blood that still teeters with Fox, I still don't think it's likely.
I hope your life time is long and happy! I wouldn't give up hope on another show for either team. This is just the current time frame. There was a time when we didn't think Marvel would finally get the rights back for Spider-Man on TV and now there's a new show on the way following the longest (episodes wise) Spider-Man show so far!

A few years from now, we could be on season three of an X-Men show or something. Don't give up hope that things will change. :)

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Here's my advice: Don't give up hope. Given that Marvel is in the process of relaunching the X-Men titles in addition to their involvement in Fox's X-Men shows Legion and the currently-untitled show on Fox, a new X-Men cartoon can still happen.

It's too early to say that it's unlikely and here's a quote from Greg91:
I hope your life time is long and happy! I wouldn't give up hope on another show for either team. This is just the current time frame. There was a time when we didn't think Marvel would finally get the rights back for Spider-Man on TV and now there's a new show on the way following the longest (episodes wise) Spider-Man show so far!

A few years for now, we could be on season three of an X-Men show or something. Don't give up hope that things will change. :)

Last edited:

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Having a New Xmen Cartoon would be great but i want information that the Rumor is true

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
So either he confirms it's not happening, or even he doesn't know about it, though I'm inclined it's the former.
It's most likely the latter for me. I don't really think it's the former because Wacker's comment didn't imply "there are no plans for it". I think it's most likely the "can't confirm or deny rumour" bit.

xfan1991

I was the one who asked the question and I got that response of course. I hope the X-Men cartoon rumor will be true.

Should it be a continuation of WATX just like Young Justice was brought back, or a will it be a new X-Men show with no connection to WATX?

Last edited by a moderator:

brodie999

I think his "that sounds nuts" response was more of a "can't confirm or deny" comment.

Yeah, I hope they finally confirm the X-Men cartoon being in the Marvel Animated Universe with USM, AA, HATAOS and GOTG at SDCC this year.

TheLemsterPju

I was the one who asked the question and I got that response of course. I hope the X-Men cartoon rumor will be true.

Should it be a continuation of WATX just like Young Justice was brought back, or a will it be a new X-Men show with no connection to WATX?

I wish, but I think it would be extremely difficult to do a continuation of Wolverine and the X-Men on Disney XD, especially almost a decade after it ended on a different channel, because of the many plot threads left hanging. New viewers (ie kids) would get confused.

Though I think it would be kinda awesome if Disney XD did rerun episodes of WatXM. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts