I Learned Something Today

Mandouga

Japan loves the Power Glove, too. It's just as bad over there as it is anywhere else it was released!

Seriously though, a company called Pax Corporation released it over there.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned Lois Lane got her name from an actress named Lola Lane, who played a hotshot reporter named Torchy in a hit movie around the time Siegel and Schuster thought her up. And then they just decided to make nearly everyone else in Clark's life have "LL" initials, so it's interesting that all started due to a real person.

Mandouga

“Now, this is a story all about how [his] life got flipped turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there, I’ll show you how [he] became the prince of a town called”…

Beverly Hills

It turns out that The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was very, very, very, very, VERY loosely based on a true story, which is what the “based on a format” credit refers to.

At the time the original show aired, Benny Medina (who created the “format” with Ted Pollack) was a record executive. He was born in East Los Angeles, coming from a poor family. He lost both of his parents, and was put in a number of different foster homes, but he ran away from both of them. Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but that’s all I’ve got) says that he and his siblings were eventually taken in by their aunt.

However, this is the part that has to do with the show.

He eventually met a white teenager, and they became friends. Eventually, the white teenager’s family let Benny stay “in a refurbished garage behind their property” in Beverly Hills, and even went to Beverly Hills High School.

When he and Ted developed the “format”, Benny thought of Will Smith, who he had worked with before, and the rest as they say, is history.

EDIT (11-16-23):

It would seem that Daran Norris (AKA: Cosmo and Mr. Turner) was the narrator on all the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toy commercials, apparently also including the first couple of ones that have what sounds like a different voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The reason why Wendy's is currently unable to return to Australia and the Benelux region is due to the name being used by Wendy's Milk Bar in the former and Wendy's Fish & Chips in the latter.

Mandouga

Apparently, it was Queen Victoria who started the idea of brides wearing white dresses at their weddings; either that, or she popularized it.

Felix the Cat: the Movie was animated in Hungary by Pannonia, Hungary's largest animation studio.

Bela Lugosi was Hungarian. That's why most versions of...well, you know, are based on him.

Most people know Don Oriolo for managing the Felix franchise, but that's not all he does. He's also a musician, among other things.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

harry580

rio was going to be pg rated but blue sky studios creators got mad and force mpaa to change the rating to a g rating

harry580

south park was pitched to fox but its was turned down because of mr hankey, the show was then picked up by Comedy Central and that show become a hit for the network

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
TIL about a reality tv game show about donating organs, and the show got a lot of flak for it. the show was found to be a hoax and actually just a PSA and encouragement to people to go and donate. It was a huge success and even won an Emmy.

Mandouga

The Game Awards aren’t as new as some people might think. It’s a spiritual successor to the Spike Video Game Awards which was held from 2003 until the 11th show in 2013 and aired on Spike TV (now the Paramount Network). A year later, Geoff Keighley was able to continue it as The Game Awards. All together, it’s the show’s 20th anniversary (i.e., it had been 20 years since the first show was held).

Mandouga

The car in Megas XLR (you know, the one that became Megas’ head) is a Plymouth Barracuda (or at least it looks like one…).

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I may have to take back my earlier post about Mrs. McAllister being a fashion designer. It turns out that detail was from the novelization by Todd Strasser, and Strasser confessed he made that detail up. So why so many mannequins? No one knows now. All we do know is that the McAllisters are definitely not poor people.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I was today years old when I learned that the title of Arthur Christmas is a dialect joke; it sounds like "Father Christmas" in a British accent

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts