How Crucial Is Doom's Origin to the Fantastic Four?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Our special week of Fantastic Four discussion continues! With Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer opening this Friday, The Marvel Animation Forum wants to treat the First Family of Comics in style! Let's roll on with the discussion!

ff202.jpg

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
In the movies, cartoons and comic books, we have seen Doom's origin altered. Sometimes it was a minor change, but there were other times when it was massive. Much like 2005's Fantastic Four movie, the new animated series has included Von Doom on that fateful voyage into space. While his Latverian background may be kept in check, his powers are now derived from that single accident.

17.jpg

Courtesy of Marvel Animation Age
How important is Doom's origin? Does it matter that he got his powers from the cosmic rays, or should they have come from his Latverian background and studies of magic? Why?

Related Discussion:
-Fantastic Four - The Most Faithful Animation Translation?
-Silver Surfer - Untapped Animated Potential?
-Flame On! How Fantastic Are The Fantastic Four's Powers?
-What Characters Would You Like To See In The Fantastic Four Cartoons?

Caswin

All I know is, lousy overall story or not, I winced when he put the mask on in "The Mask of Doom".

Doom getting his baseline abilities from the cosmic rays makes sense. However, for both tradition and - sort of - believability's sake, if he has any plans beyond causing some low-scale trouble (like, oh, stealing the Power Cosmic), it should require some extra effort. What do you mean by getting powers "from his Latverian background"?

Spider-Man

What do you mean by getting powers "from his Latverian background"?
I think he means those "magical" powers that Doom seems to have. I'm not as brushed up as I should be on my Doom history but it seem slike from time to time he has powers that he acquired through studying magic. I assume that is what he means by his "Latverian" background.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If memory serves, most of his power comes from his armour but some of it comes from magic - I believe his Mother was a gypsy and he studied magic and such in order to save her soul from hell.

Regardless, I prefer the movie approach by having him go up to space with them. I think the movie did a few things well with Dr. Doom - I especially liked the idea that he and Sue used to date, that could add all kinds of romantic tension Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes if done properly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts