"Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train" News thread

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Last edited by a moderator:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
To be continued in "Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train"!

...Which of course Toonami won't be able to air because it's a movie. *grumble grumble*

Maybe they'll pull a Tree of Might and split it into episodes.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Unfortunately, we have no idea when we're getting a second season. Considering the movie won't even be out in Japan until later this year, we won't be getting a second season until 2021 at the EARLIEST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
5/3: And if anyone else was curious, the season 1 finale leaves off part way into chapter 54 (collected in Volume 7) of the manga and the Mugen Train arc concludes in chapter 69 (collected in Volume 8).

(It also looks like the current tankobon collection is Volume 20. I think up to Volume 11 has been released in English. The latest chapter in Japan is 203.)

8/2: Out in the USA in 2021.

8/21: A novelization will also release on October 16.

10/1: Will be shown in IMAX in Japan.

10/2: New 29 second promo posted.

10/6: Runtime is 1 hour and 57 minutes and rated PG-13.

10/9: Releases in U.S. theaters in early 2021.

And here's the NYCC panel.

10/12: LiSA's song "Homura" released.

10/17: Already a big success and made over 1 billion yen on the first day.

10/25: New trailer and key visual.

10/26: Beats Spirited Away's record and made 10 billion yen in 10 days.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I knew Demon Slayer was the hot new Shonen Jump anime/manga, but dang. As someone who follows Japanese box office, earning that much money in such a short time is insane. I'll be curious to see if it has legs, but frankly, it has probably already earned a profit regardless.

Pretty sure they'll have to announce a second season any day now.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I knew that the movie was a financial hit, but I forgot just how well it did. Honestly, that's pretty impressive especially in the mist of a pandemic. From what I understand, it hasn't hit Japan nearly as much as it has with the U.S., so hopefully everyone going to see this movie were still safe.

I also thought I saw somewhere that season two was already in production. If that isn't the case, I'm sure that they'll announce it within the near future just to keep the hype going strong.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Light Lucario

Staff member
That is pretty messed up that the creator didn't get as much money from the movie just because he's a rookie in the manga industry. It kind of make sense if the movie was pitched before Demon Slayer exploded in popularity, but it seems kind of unfair when the movie is such a huge box office success. Although, given how well the manga volumes have sold, I don't think he's really hurt for money right now either. I don't know how much he gets from any other merchandise or if he'll get more when the inevitable season two starts production either.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

The MPAA lists the film's rating as R, which isn't surprising as the show is TV-MA, Search . I think this would be the second time ever a Rated R film gets a nomination for best animated feature if it happens (2015's Anomalisa being the first). It would be the first ever rated R anime to get a nomination as I think all previous nominated anime have been PG or lower. I think that the academy has an obvious bias against R rated animation, as Sausage Party got snubbed in 2016. If it does get nominated, it would be a big deal. Anyone think it has a chance?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The MPAA lists the film's rating as R, which isn't surprising as the show is TV-MA, Search . I think this would be the second time ever a Rated R film gets a nomination for best animated feature if it happens (2015's Anomalisa being the first). It would be the first ever rated R anime to get a nomination as I think all previous nominated anime have been PG or lower. I think that the academy has an obvious bias against R rated animation, as Sausage Party got snubbed in 2016. If it does get nominated, it would be a big deal. Anyone think it has a chance?
May have a slim chance. The box office run and knocking notables like Spirited Away off the top spot might have an influence in a nomination. If covid caused a smaller amount of animated movies getting released in 2020, that could improve its odds. The R rating is the obvious reasons for demon decapitations, not really comparable to Sausage Party. Reading the manga, it's not wall to wall violence for violence sake and there is some strong emotional impact. But to nab the award, not too sure it would win. But I'm not familiar with what other titles could be in the running for nominations.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
he R rating is the obvious reasons for demon decapitations, not really comparable to Sausage Party. Reading the manga, it's not wall to wall violence for violence sake and there is some strong emotional impact. But to nab the award, not too sure it would win. But I'm not familiar with what other titles could be in the running for nominations.

Pixar's Soul is guaranteed a win. Some people thought Sausage Party had a chance at a nomination with an 82% Rotten Tomatoes score, but that was a very stacked year with lots of competition. I think the fact that Demon Slayer is an animated action film might be a disadvantage as live action action films, especially fantastical ones such as superhero movies, tend to struggle to get Oscar nods and usually only for stuff like special effects. Okay, animated superhero movies like The Incredibles and Into the Spider-Verse have won so superheroes and action stuff seems less stigmatized than the live action Oscars. But an R rated action animated film has so far yet to be nominated as the only other rated R film was a drama film. An R rated nominee of the action genre would be a big deal for the Oscars.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts