Cases where one company pays a fee to another to reprint material with the latter's characters.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
https://www.toonzone.net/forums/thr...the-reprint-department.4953781/#post-76449441

This thread and others responding mentioned I made a long time back covered comics that face legal problems preventing a reprint. So how about the occasions where one publisher decides to play ball with another so they can for the most part reprint a series in it's entirety?

Fittingly enough, one poster in my previous thread mentioned how the Marvel run of Transformers G1 had an issue featuring Spider-Man (in the Alien Costume, btw), plus others featuring the comic exclusive Circuit Breaker who Marvel owns I believe because she appeared in Secret Wars II #3.

Well sometime after the thread, IDW for whatever reason did decide to print the entire series, thus dealing with Marvel to do so for whatever reason. So we get the first crossover between the Autobots and a Marvel hero, plus the comic exclusive villainess. Even got some bonuses like the 1986 movie's adaptation and the G.I.Joe crossover mini. Only real omission were the Marvel characters on the border of #22's cover.

Also, I guess occasional reprints of the old TMNT comic featuring a character Cerebus from Dave Sims has been included.

So any other examples of reprints which have one publisher going the extra mile for the full run?

dth1971

IDW is launching Sonic the Hedgehog in April after Archie comics lost the rights this 2017 year, so maybe - if Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters make it to IDW Sonic if Sega approves even at some of Sega Sonic panel at an upcoming gaming convention in Austin, Texas in March 2017 - they could reprint the Archie Sonic material from the early years of the Archie Sonic comic (1992-1995)?

Antiyonder

Staff member
IDW is launching Sonic the Hedgehog in April after Archie comics lost the rights this 2017 year, so maybe - if Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters make it to IDW Sonic if Sega approves even at some of Sega Sonic panel at an upcoming gaming convention in Austin, Texas in March 2017 - they could reprint the Archie Sonic material from the early years of the Archie Sonic comic (1992-1995)?

Wouldn't necessarily count Sally and most Freedom Fighters as the Adventures and SatAM characters (and anything Flynn related that isn't a derivative of the other writers before him) I believe are counted as owned by SEGA, and the decision to use them is more a mandate that legality. Now reprinting the stuff that has the other characters, yeah I'd say that's good to hear and in the spirit of the topic.

hobbyfan

Archie is reprinting some old Marvel stories in digest format under a deal between the two companies.

Antiyonder

Staff member
So recently Marvel's gotten the rights to distribute some new Conan stories, and took the opportunity to do reprints of it under their True Believers 1 dollar comics, including What If? Volume 1 #13. Found an okay conditioned copy awhile back as well as #43, but it's nice that they have a chance to reprint these comics nonetheless, plus I'm hoping for them to reprint Volume #39 and Volume 2 #16.

At any rate, not sure if I'll become a Conan fan, but I am picking each of the classic reprints this month. If they don't keep my interest, I could always donate them anyway.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts