"Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King" Movie Talkback

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
BLACK CLOVER: SWORD OF THE WIZARD KING

BlackCloverSwordOfTheWizardKing.jpg

As a lionhearted boy who can’t wield magic strives for the title of Wizard King, four banished Wizard Kings of yore return to crush the Clover Kingdom.

Related Links
-Netflix page

Definitely a visual feast. Definitely leagues better than the show's animation. That's what 2 years of working on a movie will do for you. I'm sure the director Ayataka Tanemura is proud of this one. And not too surprised it's another story about conviction and ideals. We got villains who were once Wizard Kings but like with Conrad he was shaken to his core and was broken, deciding the only way to get to that ideal world was to force it on everyone – a rather common trope nowadays like we've seen on other anime like Naruto had Madara.

It was a blast seeing everyone back. Noelle in her Valkyrie form, Mereoleona being super fierce, Yami being late because he was on the can, the wicked combo moves, Asta and Yuna's rivalry, Henry making an F-22 fighter jet out of the Black Bulls' base . But a weakness of an anime with such a big cast like the recent MHA movie is chopped up screen time for each one. Like Dorothy, Rill, and Kaiser were there at the start but had no factor in the finale. Or Jack and Charlotte. And so on. More context for the 4 Wizard King's own pasts would have probably been a boon, too. The movie kinda glazed over it. And the philosophy arguments get redundant after awhile.

7/1: A behind the scenes of the making the movie was posted.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Between this film and the new Bleach, Studio Pierrot seems to be getting an image rehabilitation and they prove that they can compete with the MAPPAs and Ufotables when it comes to action anime if they actually do season breaks. The Black Clover movie was just as good as Demon Slayer when it came to shonen action.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The film was pretty good, btw…if you’re a Clover fan, it’s completely impenetrable for newbies since it’s like 85% action.

Shockingly, the main villain was actually interesting- I dare say more than most of the show’s antagonists.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The film was pretty good, btw…if you’re a Clover fan, it’s completely impenetrable for newbies since it’s like 85% action.

Shockingly, the main villain was actually interesting- I dare say more than most of the show’s antagonists.

Okay, I've always felt like Black Clover had one of the weaker rogues galleries in shonen and that's kept me from feeling the show is better than okay as a good set of villains is one of the most important things to me, but as Demon Slayer goes on, I think Black Clover is at least better than that show's villains. I'd say the former Wizard King was probably more interesting than Muzan. It would be cool if Black Clover gets the Blood War treatment and airs in seasonal chunks so it can have action animation as good as its fellow shonen.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.
1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!

Featured Posts