"Batman: The Animated Series - Volume One" Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on this Release

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The first Batman: The Animated Series soundtrack release is here!

Batman: The Animated Series – Original Soundtrack From The Warner Bros. Television Series, Volume One
Label: La-La-Land Records
Shipping Date: December 16th, 2008

Synopsis: The thrilling orchestral scores from the acclaimed Warner Bros./DC Comics animated series Batman: The Animated Series are finally unleashed in this spellbinding 2-CD Limited Edition pressing. Composer Shirley Walker, along with Lolita Ritmanis and Michael McCuistion, and Danny Elfman’s iconic “Batman Theme”, revolutionized animated TV music with robust, full-blooded music that propelled Batman: The Animated Seriesto lofty critical and artistic heights, enriching the The Dark Knight’s legacy. A 20 page CD booklet features in-depth liner notes including comments from writer/producer Paul Dini and composers Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion and Danny Elfman. Limited Edition of 3000 Units.

Track list:
DISC ONE
01. Gotham City Overture 14:01
02. Batman™: The Animated Series - Main Title (Danny Elfman) 1:02
“On Leather Wings” – Shirley Walker
03. Sub-Main Title / Batwing / Bat Attack 1:51
04. Batman Drives To Gotham 1:00
05. Batman Investigates / Batman Uses Infrared /
Police Rush Building 1:48
06. Batman Escapes / Batman Flies 1:48
07. Bats / Evidence Goes Up In Smoke/ The Formula /
Dr Jekyll And Mr. Bat 3:01
08. Gotham From the Air / Ride’Em Batman / Epilogue 2:16
“The Last Laugh” – Shirley Walker
09. Sub-Main Title 1:35
10. The Submarine / Joker Loots Gotham 2:35
11. Alfred Loses It 0:58
12. Bat Boat / Batman Catches The Big Fish /
Batman Fights The Bad Guys 2:18
13. Cliff-Hanger Under Water / Batman A.K.A Houdini 1:56
14. Batman The Terminator 2:01
15. Batman Vs. Joker / Batman Vs Joker Part 2 3:47
“It’s Never Too Late” – Lolita Ritmanis
16. Sub-Main Title / Stromwell’s Flashback 2:01
17. Batman on Top of Church / Stromwell Arrives At Pete’s / Thugs Exit 1:20
18. Stromwell Confronts Thorn 1:15
19. It’s Party Time / Batman Carries Stromwell 0:48
20. Stromwell Sees Joey 1:41
21. Stromwell Tricks Batman / Thorn’s Men Move In /
Thorn Chases Stromwell 3:22
22. Stromwell’s Flashback #2 1:45
23. Batman Cracks Heads / Thorn Removed 1:20
“Pretty Poison” – Shirley Walker / Lolita Ritmanis / Michael McCuiston
24. Ground Breaking Ceremony / Penitentiary Time Lapses 1:11
25. Batman Catches A Chopper / The Chopper Crashes / Rooftop Chase 1:58
26. Batman Sneaks Around 1:09
27. A Little Plant Muzak / The Carnivorous Plant 0:59
28. Batman Vs. Poison Ivy / Poison Ivy In Prison 3:52
“Christmas with the Joker” - Shirley Walker / Lolita Ritmanis / Michael McCuiston
29. 14 Seconds Opening / Jingle Bells / The Joker Blasts Off 1:03
30. Down the Mountain / Sidewalk Red Herring 0:51
31. Pukey Christmas Music / Christmas With The Joker / Game Show Music 2:18
32. The Train Crashes 1:19
33. Observatory Cannon / Cannon Out Of Control / Robin Blows Up Cannon 1:11
34. More Game Show Music / Drive To The Toy Company 1:39
35. Nutcracker Suite Medley 1:24
36. Pie In Batman’s Face / Dangling Hostages Saved / Deck The Halls 1:40
CD One Total Time: 76:05

DISC TWO
01. Batman™: The Animated Series - Alternate Main Title (S. Walker) 1:09
“Two-Face, Part I” – Shirley Walker
02. Harvey’s Nightmare / Dent’s Soap Box 2:24
03. Batman Tracks Dent 2:07
04. Split Personality / Harvey / Harv 4:21
“Two-Face, Part II” – Shirley Walker
05. Part One Recap 0:33
06. Sub-Main Title / The Heist 1:49
07. Bruce Wayne’s Nightmare / Two-Face Remembers 2:47
8. Batcycle / What About Grace 1:58
9. My Name Is Two-Face 1:52
10. The Great Equalizer / Where There’s Love 4:03
“Joker’s Favor” – Shirley Walker
11. Sub-Main Title / Cussing Out The Joker / I Had A Bad Day 3:18
12. Joker’s Hide-Out 1:19
13. Charlie’s Neighborhood / Joker Finds Charlie 1:18
14. Charlie Arrives In Gotham / Joker Collects His Favor 0:42
15. Harley’s Party Source 0:44
16. Crashing The Party 1:33
17. Batman Saves The Commissioner / Batman’s After The Joker /
Charlie Gets the Joker 3:38
“Vendetta” – Michael McCuiston
18. Sub-Main Title / Conway Is Abducted 0:43
19. A Clue / The Crocodile’s Lair 1:27
20. Another Clue 1:19
21. Croc’s Cave / Killer Croc 2:52
22. Batman Chases Croc / Sewer Fight 2:54
23. Bullock Gets The Croc 1:09
“Perchance To Dream” – Shirley Walker
24. Sub-Main Title / The Dream Begins 0:52
25. It’s Impossible / Bruce Sees Batman / Bruce Watches Batman At Work 2:14
26. My Life Is A Dream 2:48
27. Climbing The Church Tower / Belltower Fight 2:45
28. Your Own Private Wonderland / Back to Reality 2:48
“Birds of a Feather” – Shirley Walker
29. Birds Of A Feather 1:54
30. That Fine Roman Nose / Penguin vs. Muggers 2:32
31. Penguin Takes Veronica 0:40
32. The Drop / Rubber Duckie Ride 1:50
33. The Penguin’s Opera / High Society 2:19
34. Batman™: The Animated Series - End Credit (Danny Elfman) 0:34
BONUS TRACK:
35. Music Of The Bat 101 6:45
CD Two Total Time: 74:02

Comments?

Related Threads:
-Batman: Gotham Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The New Frontier Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman Doomsday Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman Beyond Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

jkoolpe

First rate! I cannot tell y'all how long I've wanted something like this released...I do hope the response is sufficient to warrant future releases!

La La Land records did a superb job here. The liner notes were particularly incisive.

And the scores themselves...such amazing music from Ms. Walker and company. I can't even begin to pick a favorite...they are all just sooo good! Will this period in animation history ever repeat the greatness that was found in these scores?

Hard to say...so sad that Ms. Walker did not live to see this day :( . If you're up there reading this, thank you so much from all of us who loved this series from the get-go, in large part due to the amazing music that was coming out of my stereo system as I watched each episode over and over again :D .

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
I got a lot of favorite tracks on this soundtrack, but my most absolute favorites are found in the Two-Face Two Parter. Shirley captured Harvey's inner torment so wonderfully with her music for those episodes.

My favorite theme within the Gotham City Overture track is the Maxie Zeus one. Made me want to watch Fire From Olympus again on the BTAS Vol. 3 set.

And the score composed for The Last Laugh is one of the few good things about that BTAS episode (not a very good episode to be sure), so I am glad to see it here.

***** all the way!!

Monterey Jack

Yay, got my copy today! :D Listened to both discs tonight, and this has quickly become one of my favorite soundtrack releases of the year. I wasn't happy that some of the episode scores featured on the set had sections repeated in the "Overture" track that opens disc one, but that's a minor complaint. The sound is excellent, the liner notes are informative, and the final piano demo of the Batman theme hosted by Walker made me miss her all the more. :( Here's hoping Volume 2 will come along soon.

Temple Fugate

I wasn't happy that some of the episode scores featured on the set had sections repeated in the "Overture" track that opens disc one, but that's a minor complaint.
That's what an overture is. Musicals open with a combination of most of their songs to set the mood and prepare you for what's about to come.

But overtures are unusual for film/tv soundracks. Why did they feel it necessary to waste 14 minutes of CD space on repeated music?

Silly McGooses

It was something Shirley Walker edited together long ago as a sampling of the the music in the series. I'm glad they did include it.

SS Kakarot

Woo-Hoo, I also received my copy today, and it's signed! :D
A separate booklet was included for the autographs, so the actual CD's are still sealed, great job! ;)

DarkLantern

Keeping my promise
It was something Shirley Walker edited together long ago as a sampling of the the music in the series. I'm glad they did include it.

Agreed. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to enjoy the Batgirl, Maxie Zeus, Mr. Freeze, and Clayface themes until later releases.

DL

2happy

cuz i eat 2 much pancake batta
awesome album! wasn't sure I was gonna like "birds of a feather", but its great. Hope they keep em comin.

PirateBeck

And the Sid the Squid theme is featured at the end of the overture, right?

Wasn't this asked before? I'm sorry but, unfortuntly, Sid the Squid's theme in not featured in the overture or any of the discs. Maybe the next volume though.

Also, I ordered mine on December 2nd and got it on the 17th, good service considering I live in the UK!

ShadowStar

Wasn't this asked before? I'm sorry but, unfortuntly, Sid the Squid's theme in not featured in the overture or any of the discs. Maybe the next volume though.

Also, I ordered mine on December 2nd and got it on the 17th, good service considering I live in the UK!

Strange, La La Land said that Sid the Squid's music (or music from the "The Man Who Killed Batman", at any rate) is featured on the overture.

I live in the UK too, but my copy hasn't arrived yet. I'm guessing yours isn't a signed copy, since the non-signed ones were sent out early. Did you use the ShippingRate option to pay for your copy? Hopefully I'll get mine before Christmas...

Last edited by a moderator:

badlieut

Wow...I guess I should pay attn. I didn't know this was coming out. Ordered immediately! Hopefully there are more coming!

ShadowStar

I got my copy yesterday. The case and CDs were fine. I would have saved it for Christmas, but it will be really busy around here tomorrow so I decided to listen to it then and there. The soundtrack is simply brilliant. I loved all of it. Hopefully, there'll be more where that came from next year. 5 stars.

EDIT - I've listened to it a few times now and what a gem. Far as I can tell, "Joker's Favor" and "Birds of a Feather" were the only ones that came with all of their music but I'm not complaining; every track on this release is great. Yeah, "The Last Laugh" is too repetitive, but it's the most different of the episodes selected for this set so its presence is welcome. And there are two brand new bits on the second disc! They're fairly minor, but still cool. The first is an extended version of the alternate theme (for The Adventures of Batman and Robin) - there's an additional bit at the end. Secondly, the Batman theme that plays after Batman wakes up from the dream in "Perchance to Dream" is extended and made to sound more triumphant and grand. I love the Gotham City Overture too (even though I feel that more of Clayface's theme should have been used); the Batgirl, Harley, Maxie and Sid themes rock!

punkrockgirl

Wow! This soundtrack is something I've been waiting for since BTAS debuted in 1992. It's absolutely wonderful. The Overture was great - and what a surprise to hear fantastic themes like the ethereal and sad Mr. Freeze music box melody, and the thundering Maxie Zeus music with its Olympian timpani and horns!

It was stunning listening to crystal clear music from Joker's Favor, Christmas With the Joker, Two-Face 1 & 2, Perchance To Dream, and Birds of a Feather. Everything on this two-disc set is marvelous stuff, and I encourage any fan of the show's music to pick up this soundtrack. The liner notes were excellent as well. I certainly hope La La Land releases more of these BTAS soundtracks.

Sabregroove

This is Me, Whining!

I guess this just goes to show that we as human beings are never satisfied; I just got my autographed copy of the Batman Animated Series Soundtrack, and I love it SOOOOOOO much! The Sid the Squid Theme from The Man Who Killed Batman was a pleasant surprise. But, therein lies the problem.

I'm gonna jump offa something tall if I find out only, like, 300 of the 3000 copies of the soundtrack sold, because after the magnificent job they've done on this volume, to refuse me further releases due to poor sales would be its own subtle brand of torture, so everyone PLEASE tell your friends and, hell, even your ENEMIES to ORDER THIS SOUNDTRACK, not because they'll love it - which they will - but because I still need the scores from Feat of Clay, Heart of Ice, Almost Got 'Im, P.O.V., The Forgotten, and Fear of Victory just for starters.

That's right; it's all about me, people!

Temple Fugate

Story time.

Yesterday I'm driving with a friend on our way to another friend's place. The drive is about a half hour so I put on the soundtrack which I hadn't had the time to listen to yet. I knew he'd enjoy it since we're both fans of BTAS.

He spent the entire ride narrating and voice acting the episodes "On Leather Wings," "The Last Laugh," and "It's Never Too Late."

"And here's the part where the Man-Bat transforms. GYAAARRRRGUHHHHHMRRRROOOOWWWRRRRR!!! That's him transforming."

During "Last Laugh" he tried to figure out what parts of the barge fight scene happened at what points during the music. "Okay, now here comes the Joker." As if on cue, Joker's theme started. I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard.

Then on the way back we listened to "Christmas with the Joker." We were having a conversation about David Tennant and Doctor Who, but he couldn't respond in complete sentences because he kept trying to do all of Joker's lines to the music. "Well at least he's doing four more specials OH LOOK! It's a Betty Blooper doll! And what do Betty Blooper dolls DO? THEY WREAK HAVOC ON GOTHAM CITY!"

I've known the guy for over ten years and he still finds ways to make me fear his geekiness.

batsy2

Story time.

Yesterday I'm driving with a friend on our way to another friend's place. The drive is about a half hour so I put on the soundtrack which I hadn't had the time to listen to yet. I knew he'd enjoy it since we're both fans of BTAS.

He spent the entire ride narrating and voice acting the episodes "On Leather Wings," "The Last Laugh," and "It's Never Too Late."

"And here's the part where the Man-Bat transforms. GYAAARRRRGUHHHHHMRRRROOOOWWWRRRRR!!! That's him transforming."

During "Last Laugh" he tried to figure out what parts of the barge fight scene happened at what points during the music. "Okay, now here comes the Joker." As if on cue, Joker's theme started. I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard.

Then on the way back we listened to "Christmas with the Joker." We were having a conversation about David Tennant and Doctor Who, but he couldn't respond in complete sentences because he kept trying to do all of Joker's lines to the music. "Well at least he's doing four more specials OH LOOK! It's a Betty Blooper doll! And what do Betty Blooper dolls DO? THEY WREAK HAVOC ON GOTHAM CITY!"

I've known the guy for over ten years and he still finds ways to make me fear his geekiness.

i quote lines from batman tas al; the time but that sounds interesting

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.

Featured Posts