"Batman: Soul of the Dragon" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Batman vs TMNT was pretty intense with it's action/violence, so I suppose this'll be a nice middle ground between that movie and Scorpion's Revenge.
Then again, Batman Vs TMNT was also partly a Nickelodeon movie, making it more intense by their standards.

Eh, I don't think Soul of the Dragon is gonna go that nuts in terms of bloody violence like the impaling, stabbing, etc. James Tucker once said a sure R rating is the getting consecutively hit in a short span of time, so something as simple as getting pummeled by a fist 5 times in a row gets a R rating. For a martial arts movie, very likely.

So, it's essentially about how much impact there is multiplied by how long the impact is, that determines what gets an R rating.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Eh, I don't think Soul of the Dragon is gonna go that nuts in terms of bloody violence like the impaling, stabbing, etc. James Tucker once said a sure R rating is the getting consecutively hit in a short span of time, so something as simple as getting pummeled by a fist 5 times in a row gets a R rating. For a martial arts movie, very likely.
That seems a bit much to be, but maybe I'm just numb from watching a lot of action animation :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Not that I put much stock into how these ratings are given, but for what it's worth the reasoning for Soul of the Dragon is listed as "some violence", while Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge was "strong bloody violence throughout". So I would imagine this Batman movie will be tamer.

Otaku-sempai

That Mortal Kombat was the most violent animated movie I've ever seen. The opening scene really put me to the test.
Hmmm. I haven't seen it, but I wonder how it stacks up compared to a few others I can think of (Turok, Son of Stone; Violence Jack; Fist of the North Star; Wicked City; etc.). Have you seen much ultraviolent anime, bats?

-batmat-

Hmmm. I haven't seen it, but I wonder how it stacks up compared to a few others I can think of (Turok, Son of Stone; Violence Jack; Fist of the North Star; Wicked City; etc.). Have you seen much ultraviolent anime, bats?
No, not really. So I wouldn't know how it compares to those.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm guessing a Soul of the Dragon trailer is coming real soon. Last year's 1st release Red Son had it's trailer out on December 22 but that was a 3 release year. In 2018, which was a 4 release year like 2021 will be, Reign of the Supermen's trailer released on October 22. So extrapolating from that, I'm thinking we might have a Soul of the Dragon trailer, probably through IGN, this coming Monday, the 19th.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm guessing a Soul of the Dragon trailer is coming real soon. Last year's 1st release Red Son had it's trailer out on December 22 but that was a 3 release year. In 2018, which was a 4 release year like 2021 will be, Reign of the Supermen's trailer released on October 22. So extrapolating from that, I'm thinking we might have a Soul of the Dragon trailer, probably through IGN, this coming Monday, the 19th.
Spot on detective work for a Batman movie, Yojimbo ;).

Frontier

Staff member
BluRay.com lists a January 26, 2021 release date. Presumably the digital release would be around 2 weeks earlier if they follow the same pattern as before.
Starting a New Year off with a new DC film sounds like my kind of good time :).
That's probably the most realistic looking cover art for a DC Animated Film I have ever seen o_O.

Loving that Bronze Tiger figure, though :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That's an earlier release date than I was expecting. :cool:
Indeed. By 1 day if we're talking physical release of this DCU line. A late January release isn't unprecedented. Reign of the Supermen was January 29, 2019 (4K/Blu), Throne of Atlantis was January 27, 2015, TDKR Part 2 was January 29, 2013. But if you count the other DTVs, 2 others have the record, JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time on January 21, 2014 and Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and The Bold on January 9, 2018.

If this date is right, we could looking at a January 12 digital date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts