"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I doubt they will go overboard with adult themes given this was also announced for the ACME Family Night block on CN.
Agreed. Unless he hides it well, Bruce Timm is not a blood thirsty maniac. Not having 90s era BS&P doesn't mean we're gonna see Batman snapping necks every week.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
If this show were to be a bit more hardcore, but still family friendly enough for ACME Night, then it probably wouldn't be anything higher than a PG rating. I mean, Beware The Batman was rated PG, and other than stuff with firearms (which had to be changed because of real life stuff), BTB still kept things family friendly even with more intense moments.

CyberCubed

I’m all in on the series, I’m just a little tired of every Batman incarnation being very early on. The character is nearly 100 years old, where is Cassandra Cain?

Brave and the Bold and Young Justice both started with the Justice league already being formed and well into Batman's career. Granted his role on Young Justice is small but still.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Brave and the Bold and Young Justice both started with the Justice league already being formed and well into Batman's career. Granted his role on Young Justice is small but still.
If the latest depiction we’ve had is when Robin is still Dick Grayson, we’ve still only had very early adaptations.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
If the latest depiction we’ve had is when Robin is still Dick Grayson, we’ve still only had very early adaptations.
Are you referring to the Harley Quinn series? I wouldn't say a DC cartoon akin to The Venture Bros. is "very early."

Even when in JLA they only reprised Kevin Conroy as Batman and framed his character as being older & wiser than others, that seemed also later in his career. The only other adaptation since Beware the Batman to go for the early years has to be that prequel to the Arkham games which was released later the same year BTB premiered.

As far as I can tell we've been getting a back-basics Batman at the start of every decade. Between one show & one movie in the 2020s, that doesn't really seem like overkill.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Also I am pretty sure they confirmed Damian is the Robin on Harley Quinn. I think DC Super Hero Girls is the most recent show to have Dick as Robin, and it's the first one in a while to have him in this role. All of the others I can think of (i.e., Young Justice, The Brave & the Bold), may have started with Dick in the role of Robin but he soon enough became Nightwing.

But Caped Crusader seems to be set even before Batman takes on any sidekick.

Frontier

Staff member
The show definitely has some Golden Age influences, so I think with that in mind we'll probably see Robin at some point, but I don't think this Batman is in the right headspace to be adopting a kid let alone taking on a sidekick.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Are you referring to the Harley Quinn series? I wouldn't say a DC cartoon akin to The Venture Bros. is "very early."

Even when in JLA they only reprised Kevin Conroy as Batman and framed his character as being older & wiser than others, that seemed also later in his career. The only other adaptation since Beware the Batman to go for the early years has to be that prequel to the Arkham games which was released later the same year BTB premiered.

As far as I can tell we've been getting a back-basics Batman at the start of every decade. Between one show & one movie in the 2020s, that doesn't really seem like overkill.
Damian is Robin in Harley Quinn. I am referring to both examples in the post I quoted. I even made it very clear in my original post that I want extended Batfamily members we don’t ever see, I’m unsure why my post has confused so many.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Damian is Robin in Harley Quinn. I am referring to both examples in the post I quoted. I even made it very clear in my original post that I want extended Batfamily members we don’t ever see, I’m unsure why my post has confused so many.
Probably because the extended Batfamily exists in YJ and Brave & the Bold had the world-renowned Batman team up with every known DC hero in that universe. As Royal already said, we are getting Cass Cain & Duke Thomas on Batwheels

Frontier

Staff member
Probably because the extended Batfamily exists in YJ and Brave & the Bold had the world-renowned Batman team up with every known DC hero in that universe. As Royal already said, we are getting Cass Cain & Duke Thomas on Batwheels
Well, maybe not comic-accurate versions of them, mind you...

CyberCubed

I actually don't think Robin will ever be introduced in this series if they want to focus on it being about Batman and it being darker (being on HBO). There really is no way to introduce a 10-12 year old kid sidekick without feeling like the show become lighter or aimed at kids. There's a reason all the modern live-action Batman movies leave Robin out, it really is unbelieveable that Batman would purposely put a minors life at risk of being shot or brutally beaten when he fights crime. In a realistic setting it makes no sense for Batman to put a child's life in constant danger.

I mean they can "badass" Robin all they want, outside of comic book-y cartoons like Young Justice or cartoons aimed at kids, Batman having a teenage sidekick with a bright colorful costume that doesn't blend in with the night really makes no sense. Also if they want to focus on Batman being a detective and a more cerebral Batman cartoon and less about action, he doesn't fit either.

Frontier

Staff member
I actually don't think Robin will ever be introduced in this series if they want to focus on it being about Batman and it being darker (being on HBO). There really is no way to introduce a 10-12 year old kid sidekick without feeling like the show become lighter or aimed at kids. There's a reason all the modern live-action Batman movies leave Robin out, it really is unbelieveable that Batman would purposely put a minors life at risk of being shot or brutally beaten when he fights crime. In a realistic setting it makes no sense for Batman to put a child's life in constant danger.

I mean they can "badass" Robin all they want, outside of comic book-y cartoons like Young Justice or cartoons aimed at kids, Batman having a teenage sidekick with a bright colorful costume that doesn't blend in with the night really makes no sense. Also if they want to focus on Batman being a detective and a more cerebral Batman cartoon and less about action, he doesn't fit either.
I mean, even in B:TAS Robin had some serious storylines so it's all in the execution.

I don't think we're going to see a dark and gritty Batman for the entirety of the series. I think it's going to partially be about him developing away from a gritty avenger of the night to a more heroic version of himself, one that probably could team-up with Robin.

Of course even if they don't introduce Robin they'll probably introduce Robin stand-ins like the Nolan movies and Beware did.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I've envisioned Robin or a group of Robins pretty much the same way they've been used in Gotham By Gaslight - the eyes & ears, which would certainly be applicable to a "40s era" Batman.

Frontier

Staff member
I've envisioned Robin or a group of Robins pretty much the same way they've been used in Gotham By Gaslight - the eyes & ears, which would certainly be applicable to a "40s era" Batman.
Just to clarify, this Batman is not actually set in the 40's. It's just going to look like he is :p.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
The dark, obsessive loner Batman has felt in vogue, from my perspective, since at least Batman Begins so approaching from that perspective doesn't particularly excite me. I love the Bruce Wayne side of Batman so I don't know how complete the character can feel to me if he's just going about his mission as a machine of justice.

Aiming for something similar to Strange Days does excite me though. Very much. I always thought the short was good but I've found myself appreciating it more and more each time I see it. That tone, atmosphere and look is so magnificent. I would love to see more of how they can expand that into an entire world of stories and how they approach the characters as well as differentiating them from what we've seen in the past. I also really hope that WB animation puts their all behind the series. I want to see animation that doesn't have me distracted thinking about what corners were cut or whether everything is coming together on screen. I want to get lost in the world of the series when I watch it. That's something I feel during the couple of minutes that I watch Strange Days (not to oveehype it or anything).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

the greenman

I honestly look forward to a Batman that is boots to the ground new. Everyone's vision of who he is, is based on various collections of interpretation. It'll be refreshing to see something we know, but hopefully not binding to future inference . . . i.e. Ra's and League of Shadows.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
I’m also fairly certain that when I said I wanted to see Cassandra I wasn’t referring to her being a sentient car for pre-schoolers. My point stands that we never see an adaptation of Batman later in his career for an animated series (Brave and the Bold again only had Dick and Barbara, YJ barely features Dick let alone Tim, Steph, Jason, and Cass.) There is decades of comic stories that take place in the later continuity and instead we are stuck in an eternal loop of “Batman’s first ______” in animation and live action.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I’m also fairly certain that when I said I wanted to see Cassandra I wasn’t referring to her being a sentient car for pre-schoolers. My point stands that we never see an adaptation of Batman later in his career for an animated series (Brave and the Bold again only had Dick and Barbara, YJ barely features Dick let alone Tim, Steph, Jason, and Cass.) There is decades of comic stories that take place in the later continuity and instead we are stuck in an eternal loop of “Batman’s first ______” in animation and live action.
I get a lot of fans out there want the tide to turn away from Batman early years to fully fledged Bat Family but it's a process and hope you give this show a shot with the first episode at least. The newer stuff is slowly trickling into animation. Like how long it took for Constantine or Jessica Cruz to be utilized vs. look much faster it's gotten now with a new character like Duke Thomas, for example. And for the record, Cass is not a car in Batwheels... and "YJ barely features Dick Grayson," really?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
More facetious inaccuracies aside, we have already gotten to those decades of later continuities if the ever expanding Batfamily members are debuting onscreen this early & often. Whereas with the 90s & early 2000s, a Batman toon had to evolve from only a butler to joining the JL & beyond, different points of his life have become the jumping off points for various adapted canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts