Who will buy Paramount?

lowell

If anything AMC Networks would be an acquisition target by someone. Since Sony isn't getting Paramount Global from the looks of it AMC would be a perfect target for Sony to build a conglomerate of similar scale to the others that own a major movie studio as outlined in previous posts of mine in here. This new conglomerate would not include Fox News (which would change its name) so I can drop my objections to sports leagues doing business with Fox.
It's not necessary for them, though.
Paramount doesn't want to split, but splitting the parts would be the more intelligent option. Hm...
I mean, Bakish is going to remain as an advisor to help transition the Office of the CEO trio moving into his role but that move kind of looks awkward, now that nothing happened at all:

"The filing says that Bakish, who formally exited April 30, will continue as a senior advisor to the company through October 31 “to help ensure a seamless transition of his duties.”"

Moe

Apollo is back with an offer.

(I have no horse in this race, and hope any deal fails because I don't want the Redstones or the Shareholders to walk away happy with cash, I want them to stay in the mess they created for themselves)
You got perfect prediction - Paramount's Plans to Be Sold or Merge Are Reportedly Falling Apart | Cord Cutters News

lowell

I heard Skydance won't make a bigger bid and would rather walk away. Another that Paramount might reject both and resort to selling BET and VH1 again which I feel would be better with 50 Cent or Tyler Perry than Apollo.
I mean, having BET does actually make Paramount Global stand out from others and also shows that they have diverse content.

lowell

That's the worst rumor I have ever heard. Just because exclusive negotiations are over, doesn't mean Skydance and Paramount are no longer eyeing each other.
It does actually make some sense, though.

The Ellisons don't want to spend that much on this.

That's why they're bringing in partners like private equity firms Saudi-backed RedBird Capital & KKR and even Tencent.

They want to save money in case Tiktok ends up being ripe to pursue and for political contributions.

Moe

I heard Skydance won't make a bigger bid and would rather walk away. Another that Paramount might reject both and resort to selling BET and VH1 again which I feel would be better with 50 Cent or Tyler Perry than Apollo.
Yes, I agree with you and it would be very productive if Paramount sold BET/VH1 to 50 Cent or Tyler Perry.

That's the worst rumor I have ever heard. Just because exclusive negotiations are over, doesn't mean Skydance and Paramount are no longer eyeing each other.
It has with article to make a sound like Skydance walked away rather than make a bigger bid.

It looked like my debate with acquisition of Paramount Global went wasted and I started to not care about PG after all, so seriously, Redstone needs to fix the mess.

The acquisitions and fewer major studios are inevitable, also bankruptcies can be inevitable to some studios.

Disney has Onyx Collective but it wasn't created until 2021.

WarnerDiscovery has OWN.

NBCUniversal doesn't have one unless you count Telemundo.

Sony doesn't have anything like all of the above.
Networks aim to increase the diversity on main channels and Nickelodeon is very popular to POC.

lowell

Yes, I agree with you and it would be very productive if Paramount sold BET/VH1 to 50 Cent or Tyler Perry.

It has with article to make a sound like Skydance walked away rather than make a bigger bid.

It looked like my debate with acquisition of Paramount Global went wasted and I started to not care about PG after all, so seriously, Redstone needs to fix the mess.

The acquisitions and fewer major studios are inevitable, also bankruptcies can be inevitable to some studios.

Networks aim to increase the diversity on main channels and Nickelodeon is very popular to POC.
That's true but like even outside of that, none of them are really comparable.

Paramount Global having BET does actually make them stand out from others in having diverse content.

Moe

That's true but like even outside of that, none of them are really comparable.

Paramount Global having BET does actually make them stand out from others in having diverse content.
The decline of cable TV put future networks in doubt, however PG isn't resort to divestiture until they are in serious financial crisis or don't make money anymore.

As for reason, @Insidus believes that someone can manage BET/VH1 better, but definitely not Byron Allen because he will screw it up further, so I agreed with him about 50 Cent and Tyler Perry are going to treat with respect.

lowell

The decline of cable TV put future networks in doubt, however PG isn't resort to divestiture until they are in serious financial crisis or don't make money anymore.

As for reason, @Insidus believes that someone can manage BET/VH1 better, but definitely not Byron Allen because he will screw it up further, so I agreed with him about 50 Cent and Tyler Perry are going to treat with respect.
Yup, even with a decline, those channels will still generate money until it's no longer possible to do so.

Outside of the U.S., BET still has a presence in France, Africa, the Middle East, and also South Korea.

At least, they can even technically migrate the brand towards theatrical and streaming to remain relevant as decline in linear TV continues down the road.

Moe

Yup, even with a decline, those channels will still generate money until it's no longer possible to do so.

Outside of the U.S., BET still has a presence in France, Africa, the Middle East, and also South Korea.

At least, they can even technically migrate the brand towards theatrical and streaming to remain relevant as decline in linear TV continues down the road.
Ok, I didn't realize that BET is popular outside of US but learned that UK version of BET is closed permanently.

lowell

Ok, I didn't realize that BET is popular outside of US but learned that UK version of BET is closed permanently.
Yup, it's still active internationally, except for U.K. & Ireland.

But those two countries are still actually getting BET content through both Pluto TV & Paramount+.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
If Sony did buy Paramount Global, they would fold all of Sony Pictures Entertainment into the former and relocate to Paramount Pictures' Melrose film lot, while Amazon would acquire Sony’s Culver City lot for their MGM unit, allowing the latter to become one of the majors again, something it hasn’t been since 1986. (I bet, following this scenario, MGM could offer to reacquire most of their pre-86 catalog from Warner Bros., with some exceptions like their vintage cartoons, The Wizard of Oz, Dangerous When Wet, and Anchors Aweigh, the latter two since they feature guest appearances by Tom and Jerry.)

Last edited:

harry580

what is your obsession with bankruptcies of studios, mgm went bankrupt for a reason

If Sony did buy Paramount Global, they would fold all of Sony Pictures Entertainment into the former and relocate to Paramount Pictures' Melrose film lot, while Amazon would acquire Sony’s Culver City lot for their MGM unit, allowing the latter to become one of the majors again, something it hasn’t been since 1986. (I bet, following this scenario, MGM could offer to reacquire most of their pre-86 catalog from Warner Bros., with some exceptions like their vintage cartoons, The Wizard of Oz, Dangerous When Wet, and Anchors Aweigh, the latter two since they feature guest appearances by Tom and Jerry.)
or sony paramount pictures, just like sony bmg music group from 2004-2008

Moe

what is your obsession with bankruptcies of studios, mgm went bankrupt for a reason
Obsession? It looks like you didn't understand about what I'm saying.

Actually, it is much worse because of streaming era. MGM bankruptcies in the past was totally different situation.

Ok but it is very unlikely, tho. MGM just moved on from bad pasts and they are focus on streaming businesses, so they don't want old studio back. Sony made billions dollars investment in their studio and they aren't going anywhere.

Merged corporations - you will see fewer new contents instead of 2x more contents, so look at Disney-20th Century. If Sony bought Paramount, so Paramount studio is likely to turn into rental to production companies to make movies unrelated to Sony/Paramount.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
They want to do simulatious talks because ummmm sure. (Go No Deal Go No Deal!)

This one also mentions the Apollo thing too

Any deal between the Sony group and Paramount faces hurdles. Government regulations restrict foreign ownership of broadcast networks and could prevent Sony’s parent company, based in Japan, from owning CBS outright. The bidding group would probably push for Apollo, which is based in the United States, to hold the rights to the CBS broadcast license, according to two people familiar with their strategy.
Also this, already knew part A about Sony, because that's the law. But the other part about Apollo, there's a hang up there, in Boston at least. Apollo owns COX Media Group (which has been fun for COX, not really) and CMG owns WFXT in Boston and CBS owns WBZ and WSBK so um something would have to be done there, can't own three stations like that. Easiest/ Smartest option sell WFXT and keep the duo stations.

Still a bad outcome, Apollo has been ruining the greatness of the COX stations, then again Sky Dance would probably also be bad CBS owners, then again so are the current people.

Moe

They want to do simulatious talks because ummmm sure. (Go No Deal Go No Deal!)

This one also mentions the Apollo thing too

Also this, already knew part A about Sony, because that's the law. But the other part about Apollo, there's a hang up there, in Boston at least. Apollo owns COX Media Group (which has been fun for COX, not really) and CMG owns WFXT in Boston and CBS owns WBZ and WSBK so um something would have to be done there, can't own three stations like that. Easiest/ Smartest option sell WFXT and keep the duo stations.

Still a bad outcome, Apollo has been ruining the greatness of the COX stations, then again Sky Dance would probably also be bad CBS owners, then again so are the current people.
After had a lot of consideration, ultimately, I agreed with you to oppose all deals.

Redstone needs to fix the mess with Paramount, also consider to form the partnership with Comcast to run Paramount+/Peacock, so basically old Hulu when multiple studios own the share.

I rather to see Sony to continue the partnership with Disney to put their movies on Disney+ and Hulu.

I wonder about which is worse? Apollo or Sinclair?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.

Featured Posts