Primos (Disney Show From Natasha Kline)

Light Lucario

Staff member
This ties back to why I have reason to believe that there’s a conspiracy against the show.

The fact that the name change was so last minute and that it will take so long will cause another delay. I have no doubt in my mind that Disney will ask for another random change at the last minute and delay it yet again.

My current theory is that they push it back far enough that everyone forgets about it so that they can do one of two things: drop it on Disney+ unannounced or quietly cancel it via tax write off in the same vain as Cartoon Network.

This of course is Disney shooting themselves in the foot. Because despite the outrage last year, when the leaks dropped around Memorial Day everyone loved it. So this could cost Disney a hit all because they decided to listen to Twitter trolls.
I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that there's a conspiracy against the show and especially that they're listening to Twitter. Delaying the show to alter some names that probably should have been caught much earlier in production isn't a conspiracy. Disney wants to keep its family friendly image, which would be harder to do with this show if some of the names are inappropriate and/or offensive.

And it's a huge assumption to say that doing this could cost them a hit just because of how some leaks were received. Sure, the series could have done well right off the bat, but it also could have just been fine or been poorly received. We can't really say either way for certain. Personally, I can't really imagine the show being that huge of a hit. It doesn't look or sound appealing and I doubt it would have gotten any attention if the initial backlash/controversy didn't happen.

I also can't really see Disney writing off the series entirely for a tax write off. That wouldn't be impossible since they have removed some of their shows on Disney+ before, but that isn't something they typically do, so I wouldn't worry about it. After spending the time, money and resources to make this show, I don't think that Disney would deliberately try to make it fail with delays.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I have reason to believe Disney is conspiring against Primos:
Ask yourself: What would Disney stand to gain from sabotaging Primos? How would destroying the show from the inside benefit the studio in any way?
My current theory is that they push it back far enough that everyone forgets about it so that they can do one of two things: drop it on Disney+ unannounced or quietly cancel it via tax write off in the same vain as Cartoon Network.
The tax write-off thing is not going to happen either. Disney doesn't have the billion-dollar debt that Warner Discovery has. Disney could conceivably drop Primos on Disney+ as a streaming exclusive, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
They remember Primos enough to put it on a towel, at least.

Slightly off-topic, but that towel goes as far back to acknowledge Gummi Bears, but there are no Amphibia or Owl House characters on it. I get that those shows supposedly "didn't fit the Disney brand" but there were still pretty popular; you'd think Disney would at least acknowledge them. There were no characters from Star Vs, Haliey's On It!, The Ghost and Molly McGee or Hamster & Gretel either, yet Primos was featured. Just this morning there was an announcement from Disney about something called Animation Nation. Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:

Shiloh Otter

Happy Mollibby month!
Slightly off-topic, but that towel goes as far back to acknowledge Gummi Bears, but there are no Amphibia or Owl House characters on it. I get that those shows supposedly "didn't fit the Disney brand" but there were still pretty popular; you'd think Disney would at least acknowledge them. There were no characters from Star Vs, Haliey's On It!, The Ghost and Molly McGee or Hamster & Gretel either, yet Primos was featured. Just this morning there was an announcement from Disney about something called Animation Nation. Curiouser and curiouser.
What was really meant by TOH "not fitting the Disney brand" was that it no longer fit the direction they were taking Disney Channel. If it were greenlit in the present, it would go straight to D+. They had nothing against the show itself, but also didn't want to make a whole season exclusive to D+ after airing two seasons on the main channel. Thus, the compromise.

But yeah, this is off-topic.

aegisrawks

What was really meant by TOH "not fitting the Disney brand" was that it no longer fit the direction they were taking Disney Channel. If it were greenlit in the present, it would go straight to D+. They had nothing against the show itself, but also didn't want to make a whole season exclusive to D+ after airing two seasons on the main channel. Thus, the compromise.

But yeah, this is off-topic.
Yeah, Disney saw The Owl House's success and went "Ew, this is profitable and Popular, we are not about making money. Cancel it immediately!"

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Just this morning there was an announcement from Disney about something called Animation Nation.
Yeah, I heard about that when I was watching Toonami Rewind on Adult Swim. I wonder if this a new animation block for Disney Channel. We'll find out if there's more information.
What was really meant by TOH "not fitting the Disney brand" was that it no longer fit the direction they were taking Disney Channel.
Yeah, Disney saw The Owl House's success and went "Ew, this is profitable and Popular, we are not about making money. Cancel it immediately!"
(sigh) I don't want to talk about this any further in order to avoid of getting things off topic, but the reason why The Owl House was cut short was mostly because it wasn't as successful amongst the target audience that Disney Channel was hoping for. Their "Disney brand" is episodic comedies, which the target demographic usually prefers rather than story drivin shows like The Owl House. Hell, Big City Greens is going to be running for 5 SEASONS now! They know the 6-11 audience watching it and loving it. As a business, of course Disney is going to keep on doing it. I know it sucks because I really want The Owl House to continue, but unless Disney changes leadership under the Branded Television department and have a change of heart, we're not going to see The Owl House or others like it coming back anytime soon. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Now back on topic. I'm well aware that Primos wasn't mentioned this year Annecy Film Festival, but I do heard that one of the voice actors said that it will still come out this summer. So, I'm not going to talk about Primos at all until it gets officially announced. Once it announced, then I'll let you know.

aegisrawks

Yeah, I heard about that when I was watching Toonami Rewind on Adult Swim. I wonder if this a new animation block for Disney Channel. We'll find out if there's more information.

(sigh) I don't want to talk about this any further in order to avoid of getting things off topic, but the reason why The Owl House was cut short was mostly because it wasn't as successful amongst the target audience that Disney Channel was hoping for. Their "Disney brand" is episodic comedies, which the target demographic usually prefers rather than story drivin shows like The Owl House. Hell, Big City Greens is going to be running for 5 SEASONS now! They know the 6-11 audience watching it and loving it. As a business, of course Disney is going to keep on doing it. I know it sucks because I really want The Owl House to continue, but unless Disney changes leadership under the Branded Television department and have a change of heart, we're not going to see The Owl House or others like it coming back anytime soon. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Now back on topic. I'm well aware that Primos wasn't mentioned this year Annecy Film Festival, but I do heard that one of the voice actors said that it will still come out this summer. So, I'm not going to talk about Primos at all until it gets officially announced. Once it announced, then I'll let you know.

(SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

It was the highest rated kids show, I am not just saying that because I am a deluded adult. The ratings were very high and NO it wasnt "Adults watching."

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
(SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

It was the highest rated kids show, I am not just saying that because I am a deluded adult. The ratings were very high and NO it wasnt "Adults watching."
I'm not denying that. But according to the executives, they don't see it that way. I personally think it's complete BS and unfair, but I'm not part of the executive meetings, so what do I know?

aegisrawks

I'm not denying that. But according to the executives, they don't see it that way. I personally think it's complete BS and unfair, but I'm not part of the executive meetings, so what do I know?
That's just wording for "It has gay people in it and witchcraft and dont care its a success we want it GONE!"

And just so we KNOW TOH was a success the three final specials had 3 million views each. I dont know how many they may have by now.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Sorry if I derailed the thread, guys. Getting back on-topic:

I'm well aware that Primos wasn't mentioned this year Annecy Film Festival, but I do heard that one of the voice actors said that it will still come out this summer. So, I'm not going to talk about Primos at all until it gets officially announced. Once it announced, then I'll let you know.

This is only a guess, but if it's true that the reason for the delay is that the people behind Primos are fixing and re-recording voice tracks to remove the problematic names (which is going to take time depending on how many episodes have been completed at this point), then likely the reason the show wasn't announced at Annecy was because it's simply not ready to be viewed by the public yet. Disney clearly were planning to show Primos at Annecy, given Tater's presence on that commemorative towel. Maybe the show will turn up on Animation Nation when that officially launches, who knows?

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
That's just wording for "It has gay people in it and witchcraft and dont care its a success we want it GONE!"
If that was truly the case, then Disney would never greenlight the show in the first place. However, they did anyway because they saw the potential in it. Granted, they completely dropped the ball, no excuse for that, but still.
And just so we KNOW TOH was a success the three final specials had 3 million views each. I dont know how many they may have by now.
Like I said, I'm not denying that. Come at to the executives who make the dumb decisions, and not me! I'm not kissing the mouse's ass for anything they do and I don't agree with them cutting The Owl House short, AT ALL. What I'm saying is that you have to look at the bigger picture instead of pinpoint to one specific reason. There's multiple different reasons. For me, I think it's bad timing. If the show were to come out on Disney Plus instead of Disney Channel from Day 1, I think it would've done very well, and the complaints would've been non-existence by now.

But anyways, let's get back on topic about Primos.

This is only a guess, but if it's true that the reason for the delay is that the people behind Primos are fixing and re-recording voice tracks to remove the problematic names (which is going to take time depending on how many episodes have been completed at this point), then likely the reason the show wasn't announced at Annecy was because it's simply not ready to be viewed by the public yet. Disney clearly were planning to show Primos at Annecy, given Tater's presence on that commemorative towel. Maybe the show will turn up on Animation Nation when that officially launches, who knows?
Yeah, could be.

aegisrawks

If that was truly the case, then Disney would never greenlight the show in the first place. However, they did anyway because they saw the potential in it. Granted, they completely dropped the ball, no excuse for that, but still.

Like I said, I'm not denying that. Come at to the executives who make the dumb decisions, and not me! I'm not kissing the mouse's ass for anything they do and I don't agree with them cutting The Owl House short, AT ALL. What I'm saying is that you have to look at the bigger picture instead of pinpoint to one specific reason. There's multiple different reasons. For me, I think it's bad timing. If the show were to come out on Disney Plus instead of Disney Channel from Day 1, I think it would've done very well, and the complaints would've been non-existence by now.

But anyways, let's get back on topic about Primos.

Yeah, could be.
I am not coming at you, my posts and derrogatory comments are explicitly aimed at the executives, but I what I will tell you is that its NOT unheard of for executives to sabotage shows they greenlighted, or even just shows others greenlighted. Sorry if I came across as too harsh on you, I had a foul mood but didnt intend to hurt you.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I am not coming at you, my posts and derrogatory comments are explicitly aimed at the executives, but I what I will tell you is that its NOT unheard of for executives to sabotage shows they greenlighted, or even just shows others greenlighted. Sorry if I came across as too harsh on you, I had a foul mood but didnt intend to hurt you.
Okay. I understand. That's okay. We're cool. :)

But yeah, I agree with you. I really hate when executives making stupid decisions.

aegisrawks

Okay. I understand. That's okay. We're cool. :)

But yeah, I agree with you. I really hate when executives making stupid decisions.
You are a sweetie, sorry for giving you a hard time, you didnt deserve it.

I think Disney is doing a lot of things right though, they renewed Big City Greens which is such a cute show and also a ratings hit.

HomsarHomsar

Sorry if I derailed the thread, guys. Getting back on-topic:

The redubbing was nearly complete, then Disney ordered them to change the neighborhood name at the last minute.

Ace

Ace
I definitely think the backlash was way overproportionate. I understand why they need to change the name of the character but overall it is just a cartoon and overall it looks like it's supposed to be this kind of wackier grittier kind of cartoon kind of like Rocko's Modern Life but with a young hispanic girl.

I do think the artstyle fails to communicate that and just feels like the generic Disney style. I don't think ugly is the problem as much as lazy stylization. Stuff like Rugrats, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill and Robot Jones were ugly but they looked pretty unique and stood out and sometimes it can even look quite funny (like Ed Edd n Eddy).

The point is that its supposed to look so silly and stupid you laugh at it but it looks so stylistically tame and watered down it doesn't communicate that.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Now, I want the show to get at least 3 seasons and movie. I mean really, they have to put in extra work to change some things. Like random things to change too, plus apparently no one running whatever might have checked before (not the show people, but the network people, what were they doing?) then caused chaos, making people on one of the worst , yet not majority used, sites on Earth think they had power. Natasha and the others part of this show need at minimum 3 seasons and a movie. They are working their butts of here.

They remember Primos enough to put it on a towel, at least.

Gonna need that towel .

You would need a bigger towel, that's really it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I definitely think the backlash was way overproportionate. I understand why they need to change the name of the character but overall it is just a cartoon and overall it looks like it's supposed to be this kind of wackier grittier kind of cartoon kind of like Rocko's Modern Life but with a young hispanic girl.

I do think the artstyle fails to communicate that and just feels like the generic Disney style. I don't think ugly is the problem as much as lazy stylization. Stuff like Rugrats, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill and Robot Jones were ugly but they looked pretty unique and stood out and sometimes it can even look quite funny (like Ed Edd n Eddy).

The point is that its supposed to look so silly and stupid you laugh at it but it looks so stylistically tame and watered down it doesn't communicate that.
One criticism that I read was from someone online who said that the character designs on Primos were "very ugly", and I'm wondering just how many cartoons has this person seen? The character designs on Mega Babies makes Primos art style look like Fantasia. The character designs on Rugrats (especially in the show's 1st season) were far more grotesque than the ones on Primos, although I will say that initial designs in the series' bible were pretty rough looking.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Now, I want the show to get at least 3 seasons and movie. I mean really, they have to put in extra work to change some things. Like random things to change too, plus apparently no one running whatever might have checked before (not the show people, but the network people, what were they doing?) then caused chaos, making people on one of the worst , yet not majority used, sites on Earth think they had power. Natasha and the others part of this show need at minimum 3 seasons and a movie. They are working their butts of here.

Agreed. At first I was just kind of intrigued, but now in the wake of all this nonsense I'd like to see this show to become Disney's next Big City Greens. The tears of haters on social media are like a fine champagne.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.
1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!

Featured Posts