"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the greenman

The Heroic Universe Fox COO says studio needs to make more than just comic book movies

If I'm Marvel/Disney I'll make Fox a offer that they can't refuse.

Well, he isn't saying anything other Studios don't know. FOX made record profits last year because of film diversity:

X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
Gone Girl
The Mazerunner
Rio 2
The Fault In Our Stars
DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Mr Peabody & Sherman

That accounts for a three animated films, YA book adaptation, sci-fi movie, drama, and a romance. Sounds diverse enough to garner record profits if they're good films. FOX, at this point, doesn't need X-Men, but I do think they want to keep their comicbook films. That includes Millar's stuff.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
originally posted by Yojimbo
3 Guardians movies and 'another couple' - I'm sure first thought would be Infinity Wars. But there are other space movies potentially like Captain Marvel and Inhumans or there could be solo movies/new space properties coming Phase 4.

Uh I'm pretty sure it's going to be Infinity Wars. The Guardians movie directly ties to Thanos and the Infinity Gaunlet, they have to be a part of the movie where that actually comes full circle. And honestly stuff like Captain Marvel and Inhumans are either going to be more their own thing (which I don't get how Black Panther and Captain Marvel will work as air between the two infinity war movies but we'll see on that) while Avengers are the big crossover movies involving everyone. Really Captain America Civil War will likely be the biggest example of a movie just starring general marvel characters instead of just the ones associated with that particular part of the franchise.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Uh I'm pretty sure it's going to be Infinity Wars. The Guardians movie directly ties to Thanos and the Infinity Gaunlet, they have to be a part of the movie where that actually comes full circle. And honestly stuff like Captain Marvel and Inhumans are either going to be more their own thing (which I don't get how Black Panther and Captain Marvel will work as air between the two infinity war movies but we'll see on that) while Avengers are the big crossover movies involving everyone. Really Captain America Civil War will likely be the biggest example of a movie just starring general marvel characters instead of just the ones associated with that particular part of the franchise.
Yes, Infinity Wars is the most likely candidate since it's essentially the culmination of everything MCU since Iron Man 1. I was throwing the others out as ideas. Nothing more.

Remember, they've stated Infinity Wars are two separate movies not necessarily one movie chopped into two. Black Panther and Captain Marvel being between them and Inhumans after Part 2, in theory shouldn't be affected. Though I imagine, Captain Marvel may feed into Part 2 in some manner. Or these 3 might feed into Phase 4 more than be related to the Infinity Wars. But we'll be guessing this stuff for years to come. I am more focused on Ant-Man. lol.

reflection01

I could see Fox bailing on X-Men if they feel like the franchise will suffer without Jackman and Lawrence and I guess Fassbender at some point, but it would take a lot of cash to make that move and it actually may not be worth it to Marvel.

RoryWilliams

James Gunn confirms that both Kang and the Shi'ar Empire are off-limits in the MCU.

6wq2spo.jpg

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think I get the Shi'ar as from what I heard those are the alien menances who mostly harass the X-Men, but isn't Kang more a general Avengers villain then a specific X-Men man one? I mean his main appearance in the TV shows was in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Then again seems like he's one of those characters who technically first appeared in a Fantastic Four comic in some form so I guess FOX feels they have first dibs. Even if they won't ever do anything with that character as FF movies have yet to have any significant villains then Doctor Doom and... cloud monster Galactus.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I knew the Shi'ar would be off-limits, but surprised to hear about Kang. Ah well, I hope FOX uses him soon, then.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sure, I'm nitpicking. But technically, Kang is an Avengers villain. True, he appeared in an FF comic first but under a different name - Rama Tut. They could easily ignore or change his time travel technology's connection to Dr. Doom. Though I'm not sure about time travel in the MCU, they're still just settling with space stuff and nearing a push with the supernatural/paranormal aspects through Dr. Strange.

the greenman

Well, Kang has multiple versions. I remember watching the 60's FF cartoon had Rama Tut. However, Immortus appeared in the X-Men and that is probably where they'll use him. The story I remember is him being Nathaniel Richards, descendant of Reed. I stopped reading comics before I bothered to figure if he was an alternate Cable or something.

Sure, I'm nitpicking. But technically, Kang is an Avengers villain. True, he appeared in an FF comic first but under a different name - Rama Tut. They could easily ignore or change his time travel technology's connection to Dr. Doom. Though I'm not sure about time travel in the MCU, they're still just settling with space stuff and nearing a push with the supernatural/paranormal aspects through Dr. Strange.

More than likely they'll use the Time Stone to show time travel. Probably in small doses, but not huge centuries like Kang would.

Frontier

Staff member
The Shi'ar being off-limits is no surprise, but that Kang is as well certainly is. That's pretty disappointing since I was looking forward to and hoping to see Kang pop up in the MCU to fight The Avengers in a future movie :sad:.

But if Kang is owned by Fox purely for his one appearance in FF, where he wasn't even called Kang yet, then I wonder if similarly Crystal of the Inhumans is either owned purely by Fox or co-owned between Fox and Marvel because of her major involvement with the Fantastic Four? Even compared to the rest of the Royal Family :ack:?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
You know, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be upset if it turned out that FOX has Crystal. IMO, her best stories involve Human Torch, Ronan, and
the recently deceased Quicksilver.

the greenman

Seems like the Studios have their lawyers divvying up the characters in exacting manner. So far we have:

Quicksilver (shared by MARVEL & FOX)
Scarlet Witch (shared by MARVEL & FOX)
Madame Hydra (FOX)
MODOK (FOX)
Kang the Conqueror (FOX)

I still don't understand MODOK and Madame Hydra, who had very little to do with either Fantastic Four or X-Men. I assume they may be in the contents of a script owned by FOX and that becomes reasons why.

When it comes to the Inhumans, just like with Black Panther, MARVEL solicited them well before the acquisition. So I would be shocked if they were either co-owned or owned by FOX.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
There were Wakanda Mines scenes that were scrapped from Age of Ultron.
"Avengers: Age of Ultron" Concept Art Reveals Unused Wakanda Set - Comic Book Resources

Where was there news of MODOK being at Fox?
There was some confusion during press for The Winter Soldier. The writers said something that was misunderstood. They were saying something like MODOK appearing in a X-Men movie would be a rights issue and the interviewer(s) thought they meant MODOK appearing in a MCU movie was a rights issue. They are interested in using him, but the floating head angle was something they still had to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts