Diamond comics has shut down for now due to coronavirus

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see how this affects the digital side like comixology in the short and long run and will the physical sales recover after the pandemic is over.

dth1971

Can't comic companies go the digital exclusive way and kill off comic shops and comic-cons and print comic books?

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I'll be following this the best I can for however long Diamond remains shut down. Some of the stuff I've read/watched usually have the same "it will kill the industry" reaction. Hopefully that's an overreaction, but why I'm gonna be following this news daily nonetheless. My big question is, what happens when they reopen and start shipping comings again. Is every weekly release just going to be delayed? Or am I going to get 6 weeks of stuff all at the same time week 1 of being back in business?

During this time, I hope DC and Marvel can re-strategize their efforts while everything gets sorted out. Not sure if any of these suggestions ultimately have anything to do with the current situation, but I think now's a good time to consider these things.
- NO MORE VARIANT COVERS FOR EVERY SINGLE COMIC THAT COMES OUT. Go back to the retailer incentives only since theoretically they could charge whatever they want for an incentive and hopefully help shops that are hurting. I've seen 1 in 10, 1 in 15, 1 in 20, etc priced for way more that $10, $15, $20, etc.
- NO EVENTS, OR MINI SERIES' - wrap up all current mini series'. Don't solicit any more until there's been plenty of time to get back on track. No huge "things will never be the same again" events with the 50+ tie in mini series' and one shots either.
- GO BACK TO MONTHLY - titles that ship twice a month should go monthly for a bit.

I'm sure these ideas would not be realistic since there is money to be lost here, but steps should be taken to help a consumer spend less, but still show up every week to buy their comics.

I know one thing, I'm not ever going digital. So that's more money in my pocket if the answer is just going to be "go digital" from now on.

Spider-Man

I just want to add that despite there will be no new weekly comics for awhile to still support your local comic store. Many now have online stores and shipping to your door so please support them. There's a chance that a lot of them aren't going to survive this shut down so now is not the time to be selfish or making demands or whatever. Support your local comic store. Most are small to medium local businesses and are at great risk right now. I'll be using this time to revisit or pick up some new books to try out. I'm going to finally start getting the Spider-Girl Complete Collection TPBs for example. Don't abandon them now when they need you the most.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I plan on continuing going to my store weekly and use the money I would have spent any way on new comics for back issues. My shop owner is going to use the time to reorganize the store and go through storage, so hopefully there will be something new every time I go.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Marvel is apparently going to release some comics as digital only:

The individual issues affected won't be released in print until the TPB version comes out.

From that article:

"Earlier this week, Marvel Comics released Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #1 digitally, more than three weeks ahead of its physical release in comic shops. Now Marvel has announced that they will be releasing a handful of additional single issues digitally over the next few weeks, with one difference: these single issues will only be available digitally.

The following series and issues are making the jump to digital-only:

Wednesday, May 13:
ANT-MAN #4
AVENGERS OF THE WASTELANDS #4
GHOST-SPIDER #9
RAVENCROFT #4

Wednesday, May 20:
2020 IRONHEART #1
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN: THE BLACK CAT STRIKES #4
HAWKEYE: FREEFALL #5
STAR #4

The impacted titles include a mix of miniseries and ongoing titles. According to Marvel, while physical copies of these single issues won’t be made available, they will premiere in print in collected editions later in 2020.

This is a huge development. The titles on offer are likely on the lower end of Marvel’s sellers, but it still translates into potentially lost sales for direct market retailers, and gaps in the collections of physical-issue collectors. Expect some angry social media postings about this, I’m sure."

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts