Bad news, LTS and SD:MI fans! The shows are cancelled!

ShadowBlinky

At least TLTS doesn't seem to be getting removed from the network entirely. Will they ever air SD:MI again? At least, like they do WN:SD?

hobbyfan

So looneyfan just assumed it was Spike and Tony working on Scooby-Doo based on that but they actually aren't doing another Scooby-Doo series for the time being.

Funny how they say 52 is the magic number for weekdays because The Looney Tunes Show and Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. have both aired on weekdays constantly before getting 52 episodes. SDMI did so on just 13 episodes initially and I think The Looney Tunes Show wasn't even on for 26 episodes yet before it hit weekdays but I might be recalling that incorrectly. Either way both series were on weekdays well before they aired 52 episodes as neither of them have but perhaps 52 episodes is what is required for a long term rerun slot but that didn't stop Tom & Jerry Tales which only has 26 episodes.

@Andrew:

CN does that on purpose to maximize viewing of each episode, because management is so dense to begin with. Also, 52 episodes, which adds up to 10 weeks plus 2 days, isn't really enough for syndicated viewing. 65 used to be the benchmark, and I think still is.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
For proper network syndication it's 88 now from what I hear. 65 was the magic number back in the 80s and 90s. However, many of the shows on CN don't last more than 52 episodes so it seems like that's their norm for half hour shows and like I said some shows with only 26 episodes are constantly reran.

King_of_doom

kiva fan
Not surprise with both shows but i'm surprise how people reacted to this. Honestly Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. was gonna end since it was likely in the 2nd season will show how the gang will try to stop Pericles.

Looney Tunes Show i won't miss it much and hopefully see a new series that show how LT was great back then with all the anvil drops, explosions and silly situations that what made Looney Tunes what it is.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
I kinda completely forgot the existence of both series after the 10th episode of each. It's particularly sad for TLTS because I was actually excited for it (just read my posts back in 2010). I can't say if it got better since, but the episodes I watched fell short of what I wanted from a sitcom reboot of the characters.

Looney Tunes should (and probably will) return to the shorts format. I'd love it if WB comes up with a similar initiative to Disney's planned series of Mickey Mouse shorts by Paul Rudish.

Mandouga

65 was the magic number back in the 80s and 90s.

Technically, it still is because of FCC regulations for broadcast (i.e.: non-cable) TV, although, to be exact, the rule is that a show must run for 13 weeks, resulting in 65 episodes for shows in daily syndication. Also, shows don't have to end with 65 episodes, which doesn't really make it a "magic number" in the way we're talking about here.

If TOON really has started a "magic number" policy, then it would be self-imposed in this case. For broadcast syndication, TV shows didn't (and technically, still don't) have choice.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

wiley207

At least "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" got a proper finale. I don't know if "The Looney Tunes Show" will yet, though. There were some things I did want to see though...

I think the "Looney Tunes Show" should have had some of the writers from "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" (they got better writers, even a few Animaniacs veterans!) write for the show, replacing Hugh Davidson and his team of Groundlings. Warner Bros. and/or Tony Cervone wasn't very smart with having TLTS having an "improv writer only" policy on that show...
Additionally, I would still like to have seen how Lotto Animation (one of WB's main Korean studios) would handle the Looney Tunes Show. They proved they can animate the classic Looney Tunes characters VERY well (like that "What's New Scooby-Doo" cameo), better than Rough Draft Korea can!
Next time there is an episode with a thunderstorm, being involving classic cartoon characters I'd like to hear them use "Castle Thunder" more ala the old Disney and Hanna-Barbera stuff, like they did once on an episode of "What's New Scooby-Doo" (bot only at the very beginning, and the sound quality was awful.) I do recall hearing the later version in "Peel of Fortune" (when Bugs says "I'll be right back") but it was brief and almost hard to hear.
And before the series ends (or at least on the finale), I'd like to see someone actually tell Lola how dumb she is!

Next Looney Tunes show they made, it should be more similar to "Tom and Jerry Tales"...

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
I should note that after The Looney Tunes Show finish its run, there will be no traditionally animated series from Warner Bros. Animation (if the new Tom and Jerry series isn't in flash), and that's kind of sad.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I should note that after The Looney Tunes Show finish its run, there will be no traditionally animated series from Warner Bros. Animation (if the new Tom and Jerry series isn't in flash), and that's kind of sad.

It really depends on the quality of the animation itself. If any new LT projects are to be rendered in the same CG style as the theatrical shorts "Daffy's Rhapsody" and "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat", or even a decent Flash style like some of the Hub shows, I'd be fine with that.

Which reminds me: any new news on that LT 'reboot' movie that was announced last year?

swarlock

Yeah so about a year from now we'll probably get another Scooby-Doo series but you really start to ask yourself if they shouldn't just keep the same show going instead of rebooting again. I'm guessing CN/WB wants Spike and Tony to make a more traditional Scooby-Doo series that isn't continuity heavy.

Which I'm personally fine with. Serialized shows are for Soap Operas. Not cartoons.

Villano

I guess I'm the opposite of everyone here. I thought Scooby-Doo was okay, but I loved TLTS. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Scooby during the first season, but my interest waned in the second as the Nibiru storyline took over.

So, does Cartoon Network have a policy that shows can't be longer than two seasons now? :sad:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Seems they've been giving Scooby Doo a new show every so often so I doubt Mystery Inc. will be the last. Plus all the DTV movies.

I just didn't see how TLTS could last that long. They weren't taking the concept very far.

wiley207

Warner Bros. Animation first considered theatrical traditional animation dead with the failure of "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." They had some awful shorts produced intended for theatrical release (ironically they were done by the television/direct-to-video animation unit) but they were never released, except for on DVD and television (the latter being in some foreign countries.)
But Terabyte Terrace (the current nickname for the studio) dumping traditional animation would seem sad. Are they having problems with Lotto Animation or DongWoo A&E in terms of doing animation overseas? They could always find some talented animators to do it in-house!

I would personally like to see a totally-retro Scooby-Doo series, like the way "Legend of the Vampire" and "Monster of Mexico" were produced, or even "Krypto the Superdog," utilizing the old animation styles, Hanna-Barbera sound effects (which WNSD tried staying away from in most cases) and the original surviving/non-retired voices if necessary (the two mentioned direct-to-video movies even had Heather North as Daphne and NICOLE JAFFE as Velma!) This way they aren't done in that usual "house" Warner style (like WNSD) or some other funky redesign (like "GetAClue" or SD:MI)

wiley207

I mostly agree with the Nostalgia Critic about that, the sitcom premise working (Except I find it more like some 1980s ABC-style sitcom than "Seinfeld"), the Taz dog and the African-American witch being odd additions ... except for his outlook on Lola Bunny. I kinda liked Lola in Space Jam, really liked her in the comics, and not so much here. Comparing it once again, it's like what they did to Fred of Scooby-Doo fame. Sure, he was somewhat bland and didn't have much of a personality in the late 1960s until the 1980s, but he was also serious and a decent gang leader. Fast forward to "What's New Scooby-Doo," where they reuse the "Pup" concept of Fred, and transform him into an absentminded goofball! At least he didn't talk hyper-fast like the Bimbo Lola did...

Lemanic

"I'm just here to make others fall in love with me!" vs "I'm funny, I can make the plot progress and I am useful!"

Naaaw, it's more like "I'm just here to gross-out people with my over-all lazily written girlyness".

Seen Hayden Panettieres character in "I Love You, Beth Cooper"? That's Lola right there.

Dizagaox

I don't think being continuity heavy was SD:MI's "downfall" or anything. It was always intended to be a two-season affair. The ratings were strong and has reinvigorated the franchise with a new fanbase.

So I actually think the next Scooby-Doo series will keep an over-arcing plot, though perhaps be a bit lighter in tone and bigger in scope (rather than being based around just one town). It works.

Serialised animation works, and SD is definitely the type of franchise that pulls it off.

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
What? No Michigan J. Frog? And I was promised he'd make an appearance on the show! And we haven't seen Petunia Pig on the show, either!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts