Avatar Studios Projects - News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Canadian actress Jessica Matten, who is of Red River Métis and Cree descent, will be voicing Katara in the upcoming animated film sequel to the series.
Cool, but I still want to hear Mae Whitman as adult Katara...

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Also confirmed are Dionne Quan and Román Zaragoza and the Variety article failed to mention that Nam will be voicing Aang plus it's very likely that Quan and Zaragoza's roles are Toph and Sokka respectively.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Also confirmed are Dionne Quan and Román Zaragoza and the Variety article failed to mention that Nam will be voicing Aang plus it's very likely that Quan and Zaragoza's roles are Toph and Sokka respectively.
I’m surprised Dionne Quan is doing something again years after retiring from VA work due to her blindness. It’s the reason why Butch Hartman forgot Trixie Tang, and Timmy's interest in her, during The Fairly OddParents' run.

I can’t help but imagine Toph asking Aang to "tell me I’m pretty".

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I know, but I feel like her new actress will probably be trying to channel her Katara anyways :p.

Eh isn't that the same for like EVERY VA who replaces someone specifically known for that role? I guess there are the very very rare exceptions where they go in a totally new direction not even really trying to sound the same (Tracy Morgan taking over for Unknown Hinson as Early in Squidbillies) but typically that new actor/actress is very much trying to be that same character. And granted a part of me also would want her to come back as Katara especially now that we're dealing with the cast as adults but... yeah if even Family Guy is trying to be more racially accurate about whose casted for roles nowadays the ATLA franchise really should as well.

I’m surprised Dionne Quan is doing something again years after retiring from VA work due to her blindness. It’s the reason why Butch Hartman forgot Trixie Tang, and Timmy's interest in her, during The Fairly OddParents' run.

No the reason Butch Hartman forgot about Trixie is the same reason he forgot about like 80% of the supporting cast of FOP; the crew just got too focused on like only working with about a half dozen characters and had NO interest in really using the others. Like if you weren't Timmy and his parents/godparents, Crocker, Jorgen, and whatever character they were pushing post... season 7 you really weren't going to show up at all with any regularity and eventually just be forgotten.

Admittedly Dionne Quan hasn't really had any VA work in a decade since... one of the Curious George TV shows from 2015 but hey it is nice to have a blind VA playing a blind character especially with ties to Nick. Like I knew of Dionne Quan since she was Kimmi in Rugrats so it is cool to see her back playing Toph. i'm also curious who Bautista is playing. Likely one of the main new villains for this film which hey I read the graphic novels the team can come up with some decent antagonists for those formats so hope to see something like that for this project.

Frontier

Staff member
Eh isn't that the same for like EVERY VA who replaces someone specifically known for that role? I guess there are the very very rare exceptions where they go in a totally new direction not even really trying to sound the same (Tracy Morgan taking over for Unknown Hinson as Early in Squidbillies) but typically that new actor/actress is very much trying to be that same character. And granted a part of me also would want her to come back as Katara especially now that we're dealing with the cast as adults but... yeah if even Family Guy is trying to be more racially accurate about whose casted for roles nowadays the ATLA franchise really should as well.
I get it, and apparently Mae Whitman wanted someone more culturally appropriate to voice Katara, though I feel like it still would've been fine to have her reprise the role.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts