"G Gundam" - Week One - Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate These Episodes!

Votes: 15 34.1%

Votes: 7 15.9%

Votes: 6 13.6%

Votes: 11 25.0%

Votes: 2 4.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.3%

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
"Hey METEO! Why does Straya get a welcome but not me......"

Welcome to Toon Zone and the CNX Toonami Message Board InsaneZero and Trigger! May your stay be filled with joyous giant robot mayhem. Just remember three simple rules...

1) Don't let the hamsters out when Ace the Bat-hound is around.

2) Cleanliness is important. You are expected to wash your hands well enough that you have shining fingers before coming to the dinner table.

3) Don't mention "Dropship" around TOM, he's still very flustered.

And with that, sorry, but no more newbie welcome's this week. I have to leave town for the weekend later this morning.

jethrek

Who you calling "cute"!?
I didn't get to see this episode, but so far I'm disappointed with the lack of accents. In the Japanese everybody had an accent based on the country their from. (a Japanese Chibodee doing a bad American accent in Japanese is funny)

Albright

Okay, so is Dorkmon going to start actually winning Super Robot battles sometime soon, or is he going to just conveniently draw them all until all of the outlandish main characters are introduced for us?

Also... is he supposed to be honorable, or not? At times, he's showing his opponents mercy; at other times, he's interrupting their battles, cheating in boxing matches, and locking his assistant in a small room against her will. If there's anything worse than a jackass, it's an inconsistent jackass.

Yes... if you can't tell, I'm still not finding myself a big fan of G Super Robot Tournament, although today's ep was better than yesterday's.

Straya

Jack of Diamonds
jethrek - Eh? I don't recall any real accents in the Japanese dialog version. You had Chibodee giving out some Engrish here and there, and the others occassionally using words from their native languages, but no real distinct accents, perse.

Albright - Let's see how much I can answer for you without dealing out too many spoilers... Eps 2-5 deal with the introductions of the other main characters, obviously. The reason he can't defeat and disqualify him will be revealed by around episode 13 or 14. Trust me, these guys are important to the plot and need to stick around. (They also need to be able to show early on that they're not exactly wimps, either.) As for Domon and his inconsistancies, our Neo-Japanese fighter is quite screwed in the head. Want to know why? Hang around for episode 6.
It's my opinion that he used to be decently stable and probably a nice guy, but certain events changed all that, and he often suffers confusion in trying to decide exactly how he wants to behave in given social situations. I will say this - he spent ten years in training, being pretty darn isolated from the rest of the world. Wouldn't that mess you up a bit, as well, ne? Toss in what you learn in episode 6, and you'll probably understand.

Keep in mind while watching G that you have to throw all your expectations out. This isn't real robot the way Universal Century is real robot... It's not the fantasy war story that Gundam Wing is, either. It's Super Robot... it's meant to be over the top, weird, and even cheesey at times. Believe me, it's got nothing on some of the other super robot anime, such as Psybuster (and if you don't know how powerful that thing is, I can tell you...but it's REALLY out there). Just take G for what it is, and don't try to overanalyze it; you can't do that to super robot anime and have it work for you.

Spike Mcdougal

The Legendary Outlaw
Originally posted by blackcat
I could have sworn that George's VA was Ted Cole. They sounded very similar. Any idea on who is the VA for him?

If anything he sounded like Trowa

Originally posted by Sora Takenouchi
There sure are a lot of racial stereotypes in this show.

The Chinese get a Dragon. The Americans get a Football player/Boxer hybrid. The French get a Napoleon type admiral. The Canadians get a lumberjack. The Indians get a Cobra. The Japanese get.......God? What are they tryin' to say?! :p

Looking at the Bolt Gundam it looks like Russia come out smelling like a rose.

Originally posted by William C. Maune
"Hey METEO! Why does Straya get a welcome but not me......"

Welcome to Toon Zone and the CNX Toonami Message Board InsaneZero and Trigger! May your stay be filled with joyous giant robot mayhem. Just remember three simple rules...

1) Don't let the hamsters out when Ace the Bat-hound is around.

2) Cleanliness is important. You are expected to wash your hands well enough that you have shining fingers before coming to the dinner table.

3) Don't mention "Dropship" around TOM, he's still very flustered.

And with that, sorry, but no more newbie welcome's this week. I have to leave town for the weekend later this morning.

Alright those were the best

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Those crazy French. With all those roses I was half expecting a Tuxedo Mask parody character to show up. All in all it was pretty funny and a decent introduction for the new characters. My one complaint would have to be the animation, it seemed very uneven in this episode. Sometimes the characters had shadows and sometimes they didn't. Finally, it looks like this episode also kicked off at least part of the series love story. You can't have Gundam without a love story angle!

(Goes back to pointing and laughing at the Gundam's Napoleon hat)​

Sheamon

Lost in the Undertow
I could have sworn that George's VA was Ted Cole. They sounded very similar. Any idea on who is the VA for him?

Every Gundam Ocean dub (Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz, MSG, and now Char's Counterattack...) was done by Ocean's Vancouver studio. G-Gundam was done by their Calgary studio. So no Ted Cole, nor ANYONE who you've heard in a Gundam dub before. Its Domon who sounds like Ted Cole if you ask me, but its not him...

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Re: ,

Originally posted by Albright
Okay, so is Dorkmon going to start actually winning Super Robot battles sometime soon, or is he going to just conveniently draw them all until all of the outlandish main characters are introduced for us?

Also... is he supposed to be honorable, or not? At times, he's showing his opponents mercy; at other times, he's interrupting their battles, cheating in boxing matches, and locking his assistant in a small room against her will. If there's anything worse than a jackass, it's an inconsistent jackass.

Yes... if you can't tell, I'm still not finding myself a big fan of G Super Robot Tournament, although today's ep was better than yesterday's.

Trust me, Domon is not a dork. But I guess I can understand your frustration. When I was downloading fan-subs, I couldn't wait to get to ep 6. But in the grand scheme of things, these first 5 episodes are important.
As for why he attacked George- I think when he was talking to Senator Karato he said something like "I received the fight signal first". Domon is VERY in to his mission. After seeing episode 6 you'll understand why. Because of this he'll often go against orders. He's not a jackass, moron or anything like that.

trunkschan90

Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^

I don't know who George's VA is, but they guy does a voice in Zoids: Chaotic Century as Moonbay's old rich boyfriend.

Zeta Zero

Ayu Fan
The title for the episode on Aug. 27 is "Shocking, the shining finger is defeated". Does this mean that the shining finger won't be used after that? I really hope so, it's very annoying.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Originally posted by Zeta Zero
The title for the episode on Aug. 27 is "Shocking, the shining finger is defeated". Does this mean that the shining finger won't be used after that? I really hope so, it's very annoying.

Actually, it wll be used after that. It's just that in this episode Domon gains a powerful new foe

Leaping Larry Jojo

Searching for a map
Originally posted by jethrek
I didn't get to see this episode, but so far I'm disappointed with the lack of accents. In the Japanese everybody had an accent based on the country their from. (a Japanese Chibodee doing a bad American accent in Japanese is funny)

I've had enough of voice actors trying to do lame accents. If they can't do it properly, don't do it.

Artemis

For Great Justice!!
Here here, but I think I heard plenty people say that they didn't WANT accents so it's all good.

Though I think it prolly would've been a bit appropriate if they gave one to George de Sand and Maria Louie. Dunno why.

SporkGoddess

Originally posted by William C. Maune
Finally, it looks like this episode also kicked off at least part of the series love story. You can't have Gundam without a love story angle!

Oh, believe me... G Gundam has a heap of romance. That's probably part of the reason I love it so much. ^_^

And I have to second what Straya said about Domon. If you went through all that he's gone through, you'd be pretty messed up too. You'll find out more about him as the series goes on... in fact, you'll find out some stuff very soon.

Now, all of you bashers... obviously if you can't appreciate how great it is, you shouldn't even be watching the show in the first place. But trust me, you'll probably be eating your words a week later.

Michael

Oro?
i liked it yesterday, i thoguht that it was very interestsing indeed, the rose gundams head is a lil stupid but o well. I cant wait to see more, stupid in-flight movie today though........ :(

Spike Mcdougal

The Legendary Outlaw
Ok i'm gonna go with Straya's post about throwing expectations out the window.

In the original with characters talking with accents and I found out last night that.........
A horse pilots his own mobile suit

SporkGoddess

In the original with characters talking with accents and I found out last night that.........
A horse pilots his own mobile suit
[/B]

You'll find out about that later. Don't worry... you don't see much of that, and the horse himself doesn't fight.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.

Featured Posts