“It came from space and ate our brains” arrived nearly seven years ago and began eating our brains back then. Now, it has moved on to more brains to eat with its arrival on PlayStation 4 this week.
Drawing obvious inspiration from the classic science-fiction feature films of the 1950s and early 1960s, “It came from space and ate our brains” is an arcade top-down shooter in the lingo of today’s world but really it is a way to save the Earth from an alien invasion – which is usually a good thing. You can choose to attempt to do that yourself or you can employ the assistance of three of your friends [“if you have that many”, the game taunts you in the trailer] for the four-player local co-op mode and send the seemingly hapless aliens to send into oblivion [or whatever passes for oblivion in the arcade universe].
The gist of the game is that a merciless alien species has invaded the Earth and they intend to feed on human brains (animal and insect brains, not so much, apparently). As you meander about the atmosphere seeking aliens to extinguish, you possess a flashlight and a weapon to do the job.
Key features include…
- Engaging in six local co-op campaign missions [with your three other imaginary friends]
- Protecting Earth in 12 survival mode levels
- Exterminating all six alien types
- Selecting your weapons [which will consist of guns and some other special items]
- Doing this all while being mesmerized by a techno soundtrack