We’re getting closer to the release of those original anime productions Adult Swim promised us long long ago. Fena: Pirate Princess will be here any minute, and Blade Runner: Black Lotus is scheduled to arrive this fall. Here’s what we learned today about it…
Blade Runner: Black Lotus will be 13 episodes long and its plot will revolve around a replicant named Elle who is trying to figure out her past and origin. In the Japanese version she’ll be played by Arisa Shida, and in the English dub she’ll be voiced by Jessica Henwick (Game of Thrones, Iron Fist).
Sola Digital Arts will handle the animation, and episodes will be directed by Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) and Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), with Shinichiro Watanabe (yes, that one) serving in an advisory role.
Backing up Elle is a huge list of additional characters, and the actors that will play them:
- Joseph, played by Shinshu Fuji in Japan and Will Yun Lee in the West, is described as a “mysterious figure who owns a spare parts junkyard in Los Angeles.”
- Alani Davis works for the LAPD and will be played by Takako Honda in Japan and Samira Wiley in the US.
- Niander Wallace Sr is CEO of the Wallace Corporation and will be played by Takaya Hashi in Japan and Brian Cox elsewhere.
- Niander Wallace Jr is the CEO’s son, played by Takehito Koyasu in Japan and Wes Bentley in the West.
- Marlowe is the name of a Blade Runner that’ll be voiced by Taiten Kusunoki in Japan and Josh Duhamel elsewhere.
- Earl Grant and Josephine Grant are the Police Chief and his wife respectively, and voiced by Yoshiko Sakakibara and Hochu Otsuka in Japan, Stephen Root and Peyton List elsewhere.
And there’s more where that came from, but you’ll have to wait to get to know them all until Blade Runner: Black Lotus premieres on Toonami and Crunchyroll later this year.