Yu Yu Hakusho "Overcoming Grief" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate the Yu Yu Hakusho episode "Overcoming Grief"!

Votes: 5 31.3%

Votes: 5 31.3%

Votes: 4 25.0%

Votes: 2 12.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Bingo! You've been waiting for it long enough, in just three weeks the final round of the Dark Tournament starts. This is the official Talkback thread for the Yu Yu Hakusho episode "Overcoming Grief" airing on Toonami April 17th at 9.5 PM (8.5 Central). Gather your spirit energy and comment on this episode!

The Saturday run of Yu Yu Hakusho is actually starting four episodes past where the weekday run left off in March. For a summary of the skipped episodes, curtesty of Spirit Detective, highlight the box at the bottom of this post.

As Yusuke and company mourn their loss the final round of the Dark Tournament draws closer. Will these events outside the ring prove to be their toughest battle yet? Tune in to find out. Only Toonami.

Spoilers: If the episode has already aired on Toonami this run you do not need to worry about using spoiler tags. If you must comment on episodes that have not yet aired on Toonami this run you will need to use spoiler tags due to the number of people who have not seen the rest of the series. Thank you!

For more information check out Funimation's official site, YuYuHakusho.com, or I also recommend Spirit Detective. To view the Yu Yu Hakusho promos, head over to Toonami: Digital Arsenal.

When we last left the show Genkai was facing off against Shishiwakamaru although Genkai had already given most of her energy to Yusuke...

Shishiwakamaru uses his banshee scream from his sword and the evil spirits that come out begin to devour the demon audience. Shishiwakamaru traps Genkai in a barrier and prepares to make a final blow when suddenly Genkai catches his sword between her 2 hands and begins to absorb his spirit energy. She reverts back to her young self and uses the Rei Kou Han Shou to blast away the barrier along with Shishiwakamaru. Shishiwakamaru looks up and says he would fall in love with the young Genkai and faints making Genkai the winner of the match.

Kuwabara faces off against the old man Onji only to get warped out of the arena back into the first one with more hilarious results. Genkai volunteers to fight once again. Onji takes off his disguise to reveal himself as the clown, The Beautiful Suzuki. Genkai easily beats the crap out of him because his power is nowhere near Shishiwakamaru's. Suzuki is enraged that Genkai is destroying his "beauty" and starts his Rainbow Cyclone attack. Genkai easily defends against it and beats more of the crap out of Suzuki in a hilarious fashion and wins the match. Toguro smiles as Team Urameshi has made it to the finals and tells Genkai to meet him outside the stadium later.

Team Toguro easily wins their own semi-final match, thus setting the stage for the final round. Genkai meets Toguro at the place he wanted her to and asks if she's already passed on the Spirit Wave Orb (Rei Hadouken) to Yusuke already and she says yes. Toguro smiles delightfully and says that Genkai is now useless to him and powers up to 80%. Yusuke senses Toguro's power and runs out of the hotel. Toguro says that he can't stand the old and ugly look of the once so beautiful Genkai and Genkai says she can't stand looking at the person who sold his soul for power. The two begin their battle as Yusuke runs off to find them.

Without the power of the Spirit wave orb, Genkai is no match for Toguro and all of her attacks prove futile. Genkai and Toguro make a last collision of power and Genkai is the one who falls.

Yusuke arrives at the scene a bit too late and looks in horror as his mentor is down on the ground in a puddle of blood. Yusuke instantly moves to Genkai and Toguro is impressed by his speed. Yusuke tries to tell Genkai that he'll get Kurama to heal her but she knew that she was going to face Toguro once again and die fighting him. She tells Yusuke that she didn't want to go to the Dark Tournament ever again but when she learned Yusuke, Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei were invited, she knew she had to go. She also tells how she and Toguro were once partners and Toguro says his wish for winning the Dark Tournament 50 years ago was to become a demon with a body that never ages. Genkai tells Yusuke that all humans cannot fight against time and Toguro has given up that battle and gave up everything in his life to be stronger. She reminds Yusuke that he is never alone and he has people to fight for. After saying these last words to Yusuke, she dies.

Yusuke attacks Toguro in his fury saying he'll finish him off right there and now but Toguro blocks Yusuke's hit and somewhat struggles against it but is able to knock Yusuke back through a bunch of trees. Toguro looks at his burnt and ruined hand and is glad that he will have to fight at 100% power. Puu, Botan, Shizuru, Kurama, and Hiei have felt the dissappearance of Genkai's energy while Kuwabara is still looking for Yusuke. Yusuke is down with a swollen cheek and remembers all of his training and arguments with Genkai. He remembers that Genkai says he must not lose, then gets up and begins punching the tree next to him until it splits in half. Yusuke vows that Toguro will pay.

Sampo

They skipped some episodes?!! DOH. Oh well.

Unless someone posts an edit list, I will post links to content that was edited out in this thread after the episode airs. BTW if I do post an edit list, it will not be as good as Samurai Karasu's though :(

I might post a sound clip or two, if I have enough web space. Curse you Duel Masters! :D

Laters all.

I'll be doing the edit list for Overcoming Grief since I have Volume 15 which have tonights episode. And I also recored all the Dark Touranment episodes that aired in the last run in September. I'll be posting the edit list after YYH is over tonight. Sampo I don't mind if you can do picture thinging for me.

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter

.... I COULD do edit lists for nearly any episode... but I won't.

Obi

SEVEN. MONDAY.
Yes. Yes you are.

Anyhoo, I'm glad they decided to skip ahead. New episodes faster = good.

Youko Recca

Retired
I know some have been questioning why detective is in Yusuke's alias, well, as soon as Sensui arc begins you'll feel the sudden change.

blitzkrieg

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this mean that there are some YYH episodes that after this run will STILL have only been seen once?

psycho258

Dammit!! I've been recording the entire Dark Tournament (missed most of it first and second run) and now they're skipping the rest of Uratogi (sp) and the.....you know. Damn! *waits patiently for Sword and Dragon and Settle the Score to arrive*

psycho258 said:
Dammit!! I've been recording the entire Dark Tournament (missed most of it first and second run) and now they're skipping the rest of Uratogi (sp) and the.....you know. Damn! *waits patiently for Sword and Dragon and Settle the Score to arrive*
I know how you feel since I screw up during the first run of the Dark Touranment episodes. Since I fell asleep during the importment episode
The Death of Genkai
and I was pretty mad at myself, and recored didn't recored the rest of those episodes on the first run. Aleast 2 months later the dvd came out, and I bought it. But I did recored those episodes during the 2nd run through couple months later. I will say you will enjoy both "Settle the Score", and "Sword and Dragon".

staticblue

so is overcoming greif a new episode? and if not how many do they have to show before the new ones. I knew toonaim would screw me over. Now I don get to see those four that i missed.:mad:

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
staticblue said:
so is overcoming greif a new episode?
It depends on when you started watching. The episode aired this past summer, but it will be new to you if you started watching in January.

Many folks don't want Toonami to skip anything while many folks want Toonami to skip straight to the new episodes. You can't please all the people all the time.

Sampo

Majin_Megabyte said:
I'll be doing the edit list for Overcoming Grief since I have Volume 15 which have tonights episode. And I also recored all the Dark Touranment episodes that aired in the last run in September. I'll be posting the edit list after YYH is over tonight. Sampo I don't mind if you can do picture thinging for me.
Yup sure no problemo. Hehe less work for me :D

Obi

SEVEN. MONDAY.
staticblue said:
so is overcoming greif a new episode? and if not how many do they have to show before the new ones. I knew toonaim would screw me over. Now I don get to see those four that i missed.:mad:
New episodes start May 8th.

Dreakon

My bro recorded all the Dark Tournament onto tapes a long time ago. So I get to watch it as much as I want. Plus I got all the finals on DVD so the new episodes for me is the Sensui saga. What are the changes of them moving it back to everyday? At this rate, by the time the Sensui saga ends I will be in like my second year of college (I am in 11th grade now). Seriously, I want it on every day! :)